Richardsons Free Kick

Crumpy Gunt

I think it was saveable and like at City last season Given had set his wall up giving his top right corner an open invitation for a direct strike. I was directly behind the free kick at City and commented his wall was too far to his left leaving a space that could see an unobstructed shot at goal. (Mind it was a beauty).

And Richardsons on Saturday was very stoppable with a wall in the right place. He advertised his talents well enough at Fulham last week to know what he was capable of. Shays wall was hopelessly out of position. From 18.5 yards he could never have hit the ball with that power if the top corner was covered - he could never have got it up and down if it was.

Given set up two near useless walls for both free kicks. And on Saturday his first movement was hal a step to his left.

And I'll agree that when the free kick was taken it was virtually unstoppable. In fact it was as easy as scoring a penalty.

Guest Darth Toon

I said to my mate just after it was awarded: "the good thing here is it's too close, if Given gets his wall right there's no way it's going straight in...."

I think it was saveable and like at City last season Given had set his wall up giving his top right corner an open invitation for a direct strike. I was directly behind the free kick at City and commented his wall was too far to his left leaving a space that could see an unobstructed shot at goal. (Mind it was a beauty).

And Richardsons on Saturday was very stoppable with a wall in the right place. He advertised his talents well enough at Fulham last week to know what he was capable of. Shays wall was hopelessly out of position. From 18.5 yards he could never have hit the ball with that power if the top corner was covered - he could never have got it up and down if it was.

Given set up two near useless walls for both free kicks. And on Saturday his first movement was hal a step to his left.

And I'll agree that when the free kick was taken it was virtually unstoppable. In fact it was as easy as scoring a penalty.

you think?

Guest nufc_kev

Gutierrez should of been on the end of the wall, he was about a yard to the right of it, he ducked eventhough it was no where near him....

Golden rule is to NEVER make a substitution before defending a set piece. We did.

Guest sicko2ndbest

It moved a mile in the air. No way in the world was it saveable. The only thing that would have stopped that is the wall.

Guest helios_centric

The ball moved like a penny floater. I don't think he meant it to swerve in any particular direction, it's just the way the new balls react to being well struck with power.

Got to give him credit for a great strike rather than point the finger at Shay I reckon.

massive gap in the wall, thought that as soon as the camera angle was from behind the mackem mong lining up

the gap,if thats what it was from jonas to the rest may have been to give given a sigth of the ball.

Guest Heneage

Its funny watching the media cream over it, and the Mackems cream over the first. Both had massive luck elements. The freekick had daft swerve on because of the ball and the first one was a shot come cross.

Guest Brazilianbob

Put this defeat down to experience and ensure we absolutely crush them at SJP in order to put them back in their place!