Tony Adams new Portsmouth Manager

Guest michaelfoster

Guest michaelfoster

Press conference at 1pm apparently.

Tony Adams has succeeded Harry Redknapp as manager of Portsmouth, BBC Radio Solent understands.

Adams, 42, took charge of the team alongside coach Joe Jordan for Sunday's 1-1 draw with Fulham following Redknapp's departure to Tottenham.

The former Arsenal captain and England captain was named as Redknapp's number two in 2006.

He endured an ill-fated spell in charge of Wycombe and had coaching jobs in the Netherlands with Feyenoord and Utrecht.

Former Bolton and Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce and ex-Chelsea manager Avram Grant, who worked as technical director at Fratton Park in 2006, were reportedly among the favourites to take over from Redknapp.

Adams, who will be unveiled at a 1300 GMT news conference, begins his reign as Portsmouth boss with a trip to league leaders Liverpool at Anfield on Wednesday.

Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie said on Sunday that the south-coast club would take their time in finding a new manager.

Redknapp, who ended his second spell at Portsmouth after three years in charge, has already put in a good word for Adams and Jordan.

"I spoke to Peter about it and said 'you've got Joe and Tony and they are both terrific guys'," stated Redknapp.

606: DEBATE

This is a laughable decision by the board - he was a great player but he is completely unproven as a manager

Craig1000

"Joe is very experienced, Tony is up and coming in the managerial game and works very hard. I don't think either of them would do any harm, for sure."

Storrie insisted there were no financial problems at the club and that decisions would continue to be driven by owner Alexandre Gaydamak.

"In the summer we sold Sulley Muntari for a club record fee and sold Pedro Mendes but used most of that money in bringing in Peter Crouch and Younes Kaboul and a couple of loan players," he added.

"If we were to sell players we would reinvest and bring other players in. We've got a very, very good squad here, a quality side, and when January comes we will approach it then.

"Sacha Gaydamak has owned this club for two-and-a-half years and has continued to put finance into the club to bring in players.

"It will be his decision in January whether he wants to continue that growth and expand."

Meanwhile, Jordan expressed his surprise at the speed of Redknapp's departure, while also wishing him the best.

"It was a bit of a shock I must admit but Harry is a good manager and you expect that good managers will be wanted by big clubs," said Jordan.

"The speed of it has surprised a lot of people and it was a shock to me."

Guest sicko2ndbest

A lot of tempremental players there. I think he will be ok with the english lads but the foreigners will be tough.

I think after this season you will see the end of Pompey as they are now!

Adams is renowned fo being a moaner and complainer

they reckon on his first day in nick he complained of his cell being too small and cramped.

The warden said he demanded the wall be moved back ten yards!!

:boomboom: