Jonas Left or Right

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Its the best we have.

I'm not trying to be arsey, i'd just like to hear your reasoning, why is it the best we have? 3-5-2's always been a recipe for disaster for me. Its a system that relies on wing-backs, and Zog and Duff are just far too powderpuff for that to ever work, imo.

I know your not being arsey.

My reasoning for the 3-5-2 (JK probs couldn't get it functioning correctly I i'm being honest)

The movement on the flanks from Duff and Zog would be fantastic, also giving us loads of width.  Joas through the middle as the playmaker/carrying/making killer passes.  Barton n Guthrie doing the dirty work.

Owen as the finisher and Martins as the raw pace/outlet.

I take your point in having to use Duff and Zog to defend as well

I thought Owen represented that role expertly at the back end of last season, aswell as chipping in with plenty of goals. It's the best he's ever played for us, probably; i never actually realised he was such a good passer of the ball, but he was providing two or three killer passes every game.

I don't know a lot about Jonas' passing ability yet, but i know that he can play a ball into the box from wide - i've seen it live. Jonas' is main attribute is his pace and ability to drive at players... you need space ahead of you in order to do that (ie, running into the corners when you're on the wing)... stick him in the middle and he doesn't have that space to run into and i reckon his clumsy (unique ;) ) style could see him lose the ball quite a lot. I wouldn't play him straight down the middle, personally, i think it'd be a complete waste of talent - especially when you've got serial non-crossers like Duff and N'Zogbia on the wings instead.

With the defense aswell, i think you're just wasting talent by forcing Habib Beye inside. People slate his attacking prowess, but he's never a player to sit back and simply defend. When he's playing with a competent wide-man, he's so much better. He worked well with Jonas last night and he worked well with Geremi down the right during the purple patch last season. I reckon he is probably a good CB, Beye, but a better full-back. Not forgetting, he's got license to use his superb slide-tackling ability when he's at full-back.

I appreciate that most of what i've said there is explaining why 4-4-2 is better (rather than '3-5-2 won't work ). But that's where the Duff/Zog defending situation comes in; we'd ship goals for fun relying on them to be wing-backs.

:thup:

Fair points, I would be relying on Duff and Zog having superb games everytime.