adware.adsponsor and PC Tools

NE5

does anyone use PC Tools ?

I keep getting this annoying thing adware.adsponsor which PC Tools deletes, but I want to find out which cookie or whatever is letting it in ?

PC Tools doesn't tell me this, does anybody know how to do it and block the cookie in future ?

It has nothing to do with cookies, it's a "Browser Helper Object", which is essentially a gaping backdoor in Internet Explorer. PC Tools should remove it.

Once it's removed, start using a more secure browser like Firefox. It has bugs, too, but no built-in backdoors like IE.

It has nothing to do with cookies, it's a "Browser Helper Object", which is essentially a gaping backdoor in Internet Explorer. PC Tools should remove it.

Once it's removed, start using a more secure browser like Firefox. It has bugs, too, but no built-in backdoors like IE.

ok mate fair enough and thanks. Reason I thought this, is because you get other "tracking cookies" and after deleting them you are able to block them in future, because it tells you what cookie it is found in ?

Not really sure if I want to use firefox or anything, whats the pro's and con's of it - haven't people had viruses from updates ?

ok mate fair enough and thanks. Reason I thought this, is because you get other "tracking cookies" and after deleting them you are able to block them in future, because it tells you what cookie it is found in ?

Not really sure if I want to use firefox or anything, whats the pro's and con's of it - haven't people had viruses from updates ?

Tracking cookies just means they know when you visit sites carrying their ads. Google, Doubleclick etc. all do exactly the same. A little invasive, but not a major security risk.

I've not heard of Firefox updates containing viruses--you'll be right as long as you always get your updates from the official site.

The major pros of Firefox are:

a) It's more secure than Internet Explorer due to fewer bugs, fewer fundamental design flaws (like Browser Helper Objects, Active X), and lower popularity (bad guys go for the biggest browsers first)

b) It has better support for web standards. JavaScript runs MUCH quicker on Firefox than IE: great if you use Gmail and other fancy web apps.

c) Extensions. There are all manner of extensions that can make the browser safer, or make this or that website work better.

The major cons are:

a) It has better support for web standards. IE has been so dominant that many websites are designed to work with its broken implementation and  iffy add-ons, and consequently don't work so well with browsers that try to do things properly.

Your best bet is to use Firefox (or Opera) by default, and crack open IE for things that don't work properly in the other browser.

Guest elbee909

If you have IE Tab for Firefox, you don't even need to crack open IE ever again - it can render IE webpages inside FF with the click of a button.