Told my boss to "f*ck off" tonight...

Yorkie

It was under my breath but she still heard. I say boss but she's kinda second in command, not the owner or owt, just the manager. I'm working as an alleged 'chef' in a small restaurant, been there for two years and i think i'm the longest running member aside from the two bosses so i know the place like the back of my hand.

Anyhow, me and the other two chefs were stressed as fuck tonight, big food order on, and the boss ... fake, stroppy, pedantic, fat bitch, you know the type (i don't like her, never have, big surprise eh - employee doesn't like boss) ... was ranting in my ear constantly, giving these pedantic little quips about various things which i already knew about and was already trying to rectify. You can imagine it really, there's nowt worse than when you're stressed and rushing, someone just getting in your way and dropping little quips.

I know she was right about the particular things, but they were minor and she just wasn't helping the situation at all. I just lost my temper really. When she's constantly there, in my ear, telling me things i already know - not doing anything herself to help out. Just stood there and getting in the way.

Anyhow, ultimately i just went "oh fuck off", kinda under my breath but loud enough to be heard. She said nothing, stormed out of the kitchen, and i didn't say anything for the rest of the night.

I know that i was definitely wrong to say it, but in the situation i just lost my temper.

Anyhow, do yous reckon the boot awaits? :undecided:  I like my job tbh and i've given em good service. Have i crossed the line here? Probably... i'm feeling a bit daft.

Guest Heneage

Not likely fella. Just go in say "Listen im sorry but its hard enough to concentrate without someone sniping in my ear I dont work well under those conditions."

Guest Heneage

For your employer to dismiss you, she would need to have a sound basis for doing so...this ain't it. I think you're safe. Chill.

Ahh don't be harsh its good he cares.

We've all had those moments finding lines within jobs, you do worry cos you don't want to get sacked. But seriously you'll be fine mate.

Guest lankybellwipe

Be the man, apologise for your outburst, explain your reasons, offer your continuing support to the business, before she comes lookn for answers

good luck

O0

Cooking is a real stressful job and if the stupid fat cow doesn't know that by now she shouldn't be in the Restaurant business in the first place. I've done worse than that when I was working in restaurants that's the nature of the job.

Swearing always indicates that you've lost it and is therefore never a good idea in the workplace.

In your situation it sounds like you were under pressure.  If you were under pressure then it's probably fair to say that she was aswell. 

I guess a lot of it depends on whether or not she had a successful night.  If she did then it'll be forgotten until the next time you fall out.  If she didn't then you'll get the blame.

It was obviously a busy night = money for the firm.

It'll either crown you or kill you.

Either way it's pointless worrying about it now.

Have a drink.  Put on your favourite tune.  Have a lie down.  Worry about it tomorrow.

I had a brilliant boss, when I was working in a restaurant Helsinki came from Switzerland if you making silly mistakes he wait till the rush was over and then talk you about it. there is nothing worse than when you are in rush getting orders out than some arsehole gibbering in your ear.

Guest Heneage

I had a brilliant boss, when I was working in a restaurant Helsinki came from Switzerland if you making silly mistakes he wait till the rush was over and then talk you about it. there is nothing worse than when you are in rush getting orders out than some arsehole gibbering in your ear.

My boss at SJP keeps calling me Kirsten :lol:

However my supervisor is spot on.

did anyone else hear it?.. if not you will be fine as she will have no proof at all. and i echo what GM said

I'd agree with that, I would admit I'd muttered "for god sake" or something and claim she'd heard wrong as she clearly knows she heard something.  Admitting to something will add doubt straight away, say nothing was said and she'll know it's a lie, even if she can't prove anything.

i rekon, the fact she stormed out and said nothing the rest of the night, shows she knew she was in the wrong for pestering you.

these sort of people cant handle people standing up to them, you could tie her in knots if you got clever about it.

Feel for you mate, couldn't be fucked with a job like that and reckon I would walk in days of starting the job. I am sure it will blow over, your bosses must realise you are under pressure. Could you not say it was something you were doing that annoyed you and not her so there must have been some confusion?

I told a boss of mine to f&@k off a few years ago, cost me my job at the time and I ended up doing some shitty night work for a few months to get some cash quick, things are far better now though, telling that c*%t to f&£k off was the best thing I ever did.

think I face the boot from work like, been given a disciplinary hearing with a senior member of staff on Tuesday (which also happens to be my fucking birthday).  A co-worker and I were moving some stock around to fit stuff in the freezer, and left a cage of trays which had ben and jerrys and such like outside and forgot about it.  They were left from about 5pm until 9 the next morning (various staff, managers, night shift all didn't notice).  They had to be wasted and cost a few hundred quid.

Human error.  Totally forgot about it, but because of the cost they're saying that its misconduct.  Spoke to others in the store and they think that because I'm with a senior member of staff (who my line manager says could overturn his decision to refer me to a disciplinary) it could already be a "final written warning" (I have a squeeky clean record after just over 3 years anyway!) or possibly the sack.  I'm taking the union rep along though, am I fuck letting them go beserk punishing me for a genuine mistake.  Not like I turned up drunk as others have done, or told a customer to go fuck themselves.

Guest LucaAltieri

think I face the boot from work like, been given a disciplinary hearing with a senior member of staff on Tuesday (which also happens to be my fucking birthday).  A co-worker and I were moving some stock around to fit stuff in the freezer, and left a cage of trays which had ben and jerrys and such like outside and forgot about it.  They were left from about 5pm until 9 the next morning (various staff, managers, night shift all didn't notice).  They had to be wasted and cost a few hundred quid.

Human error.  Totally forgot about it, but because of the cost they're saying that its misconduct.  Spoke to others in the store and they think that because I'm with a senior member of staff (who my line manager says could overturn his decision to refer me to a disciplinary) it could already be a "final written warning" (I have a squeeky clean record after just over 3 years anyway!) or possibly the sack.  I'm taking the union rep along though, am I fuck letting them go beserk punishing me for a genuine mistake.  Not like I turned up drunk as others have done, or told a customer to go fuck themselves.

I've done that!

She was a cunt, though. And my managers at the time were as soft as shite.

My current manager isn't much better. A little rat of a man who fears confrontation.

Surely other people have managers they'd be quite comfortable telling to fuck off?

the art of managing people is sometimes to NOT hear what they said - if I'd reacted every time someone said sommat out of order the job would never get done

If you're good or if they can't easily replace you why make a big song & dance over it?

THE important thing is to keep things going......

Of course she won't forget and when & if she has to choose between laying off you or the nice lass who works with you.................

Guest Stephen927

Apologise next time your in work. Don't mention the swearing, just say you were under pressure and sorry for being snappy and that it won't happen again bla blah.

That would be very harsh, would be shocked if they could sack you over it.

think I face the boot from work like, been given a disciplinary hearing with a senior member of staff on Tuesday (which also happens to be my f***ing birthday).  A co-worker and I were moving some stock around to fit stuff in the freezer, and left a cage of trays which had ben and jerrys and such like outside and forgot about it.  They were left from about 5pm until 9 the next morning (various staff, managers, night shift all didn't notice).  They had to be wasted and cost a few hundred quid.

Human error.  Totally forgot about it, but because of the cost they're saying that its misconduct.  Spoke to others in the store and they think that because I'm with a senior member of staff (who my line manager says could overturn his decision to refer me to a disciplinary) it could already be a "final written warning" (I have a squeeky clean record after just over 3 years anyway!) or possibly the sack.  I'm taking the union rep along though, am I f*** letting them go beserk punishing me for a genuine mistake.  Not like I turned up drunk as others have done, or told a customer to go f*** themselves.

That would be very harsh, would be shocked if they could sack you over it.

I know.  The "investigation" ended with my line manager last night and it goes to my managers manager on Tuesday (my next shift).  I can't help but think if they wanted to sack me, they'd have done it by now, or at least have suspended me.  I still think placing me straight on a final warning is a bit extreme, when others get away with stuff just as bad, and we're forever having to waste frozen food because the freezer is unbelieveably shit and keeps breaking.