NUFC players whose contracts end Summer 2009

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Regardless of what anyone thinks of them individually, that's SEVEN first team players who - unless drastic action is taken - are almost certain to leave the club. All are able to talk to other clubs in two month's time.

If nothing happens soon we'll need one of these hyper-billionaires to ensure we have a squad at all. :undecided:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of them individually, that's SEVEN first team players who - unless drastic matters are taken - are almost certain to leave the club. All are able to talk to other clubs in two month's time.

If nothing happens soon we'll need one of these hyper-billionaires to ensure we have a squad at all. :undecided:

That's where the £20m/young player recruitment would have failed miserably (and still may do). We have to replace our only two decent strikers which would take the £20m as it stands leaving nowt for the rest.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of them individually, that's SEVEN first team players who - unless drastic matters are taken - are almost certain to leave the club. All are able to talk to other clubs in two month's time.

That's where the £20m/young player recruitment would have failed miserably (and still may do). We have to replace our only two decent strikers which would take the £20m as it stands leaving nowt for the rest.

I agree with the majority but don't you think Martins is "decent" ?

Regardless of what anyone thinks of them individually, that's SEVEN first team players who - unless drastic action is taken - are almost certain to leave the club. All are able to talk to other clubs in two month's time.

It's all good though. We can buy some more youngsters who we can sell on in a few years time.

The only one worth keeping out of that lot is clearly Owen. Ameobi... yeah, let's not talk about him. Viduka's perpetually injured and costing us a fuckload in wages, Cacapa's average and old, Butt is shit etc.

We'll only miss Owen.

But will have a tiny squad with inadequate overall quality and no decent strikers.

The only one worth keeping out of that lot is clearly Owen. Ameobi... yeah, let's not talk about him. Viduka's perpetually injured and costing us a fuckload in wages, Cacapa's average and old, Butt is shit etc.

We'll only miss Owen.

But will have a tiny squad with inadequate overall quality and no decent strikers.

I'm sure with the money that Ashley has allowed to be spent on first team affairs means we have nothing to worry about.

Guest Sniffer

Don't know much about the kids but agree that apart from Owen, the rest can leave and I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist.

Don't know much about the kids but agree that apart from Owen, the rest can leave and I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist.

Not sure anyone would argue they will be a loss in terms of how good they are, but if they all go we need bodies to replace them at the very least.

Like others have said, it's not necessarily the players leaving that is the problem it's the replacing them. We've already got a small squad and losing seven first team players in one transfer window is almost impossible to replace.

We'll only miss Owen.

In the past 7-8 years, when have we ever had a beefed up first team squad with adequate overall quality? We did well because we had players who can change games and they stayed fit for the majority of the time. We qualified for the CL with a defence of Hughes, Dabizas, O'Brien and Bernard. Not exactly stellar, is it? Butt was here during SBR's time and he was that bad that we had to loan him out to a club which eventually got relegated. We had no decent back-up for Robert and whenever Bellamy got injured, we lost steam (could have won a title if Bellamy had stayed fit..). Lua-Lua wasn't an adequate replacement for Bellamy and neither was Ameobi an adequate replacement for Shearer.

We'll only miss Owen.

In the past 7-8 years, when have we ever had a beefed up first team squad with adequate overall quality? We did well because we had players who can change games and they stayed fit for the majority of the time. We qualified for the CL with a defence of Hughes, Dabizas, O'Brien and Bernard. Not exactly stellar, is it? Butt was here during SBR's time and he was that bad that we had to loan him out to a club which eventually got relegated. We had no decent back-up for Robert and whenever Bellamy got injured, we lost steam (could have won a title if Bellamy had stayed fit..). Lua-Lua wasn't an adequate replacement for Bellamy and neither was Ameobi an adequate replacement for Shearer.

Being lucky in getting away with it in the past is no reason to do something - the time you mention is also over 5 years ago now.

Would like to keep Harper, think he is a very good back up keeper for us.

Same here, but his lack of games this season combined with the contract and general club scenarios may see him finally leave.

Guest Sniffer

Like others have said, it's not necessarily the players leaving that is the problem it's the replacing them. We've already got a small squad and losing seven first team players in one transfer window is almost impossible to replace.

Apart from Owen, the rest are either over the hill, don't contribute or shouldn't be here in the first place. So there are plenty of players better than them who will come. Money talks and we'll still pay better than most clubs particularly at the quality level of these players.

Harper are Owen are good enough to play first-team football. Dunno if we can afford to let Ameobi AND Viduka go (especially if Owen leaves), Cacapa can go if we find a good replacement and maybe keep a couple of young 'uns on (Danquah, Donaldson). The rest can go.

I'm not too worried about losing most of those players. The problem is the sheer numbers to replace. Assuming all the players whose contracts end in Summer 2009 leave and only considering first team players: -

I think we are fine for Goalkeepers with Given, Soderberg, Forster and Krul. Apart from Given, only Krul has first team experience but look how many games Harper gets when Given is fit.

Coloccini, Enrique, Bassong, Beye and Taylor is very light, especially for left and right back.

Barton, Guthrie, Duff, N'Zogbia, Gutierrez and Geremi is short on Centre Midfield and Right Wing.

Martins, Smith (who I don't rate in any position never mind striker) and Xisco is extremely thin.

There are a few players who can play out of their favourite position if we have to but that shouldn't be the clubs policy. At the time of writing we aren't the most attractive club to attract players. Looking at the list I'd say we need two good strikers, at least one more centre midfielder (preferably a creative one), a right winger, a right back, a centre back and possibly another left back.

Pretty much agreed, although I'd far rather we kept Harper than let him go. Nailed on that Butt will get offered a new deal, sadly.