No Jobs for Sam

Guest BooBoo

I read on the gossip column today that apparently Sam Allardyce hasnt had a single job offer since we sacked him.

It got me thinking and wondering where we would have been today if we had simply stuck with him. I fully accept the football was bad and tactics at best negative and at worst clueless (at least in their application by the players). However, would he have put up with the Director of Football structure? Would the players have eventually adapted to his tactics and started playing better and thus improving results? Would be in a better or worse position that what we are now if we'd given him more of a chance? I'm just throwing this open to discussion but whilst i think last season would have been poorer under BSA for its entirety, i still dont think we would have gone down.

For future potential managers coming in, it wont escape their attention that we (and by that i mean the match crowd) gave him ten games before serious mutterings of discontent (Reading away)  and then a further 3 before deciding he had to go- the Liverpool game, which saw the most vitriolic abuse handed out to a home manager i can remember at SJP(and thats going back to the days of Willie Mac).

Any thoughts?

He didn't want any of the jobs tbf, none of the clubs who came in for him are big or good enough for him. He will be taking over man united when Fergie retires and will carry on playing his winning brand of football.

Funny how when we sacked him, the media said we were stupid to sack such a good manager, since then the likes of Paul Ince and Tony Adams have been given jobs ahead of him.

In the minority here, but I personally dont understand all the Big Sam hate. He did well for us and maybe the football wasnt the most attractive - but has it really been good since?? We've had some shocking runs of form since he's gone (ok, the 3 month one last year began with him) and I can't help feeling we'd have been better off sticking by him....especially now. What I'd give for stability.....

He's an arrogant, fat headed cunt.  He thinks he's greatest thing since sliced fucking bread because of what he did at Bolton, but when he came here he was shown up for the 1 trick pony he is.  Playing for 1-0 wins at home and 0-0 draws away.  After that defeat at Derby I don't understand how anyone can not hate him.

He's an arrogant, fat headed cunt.  He thinks he's greatest thing since sliced fucking bread because of what he did at Bolton, but when he came here he was shown up for the 1 trick pony he is.  Playing for 1-0 wins at home and 0-0 draws away.  After that defeat at Derby I don't understand how anyone can not hate him.

I dont really think someone losing a match gives cause to hate someone!  :nope:

I have every faith that our fans will give anyone all the time in the world so long as they appear to be attempting to play decent attacking football and make, on the whole, understandable team selections, transfers etc. Its not a great deal to ask.

Sam in general didnt do any of the above and therefore received the expected criticism

Clubowners and chairmans over the country saw what he did at Newcastle, he did a horrible job and I'm not surprised nobody wants him!! It was not just about bad tactics, using players out of position etc. I don't think the players liked him at all! Such an arrogant idiot, wish him all the worst..

Clubowners and chairmans over the country saw what he did at Newcastle, he did a horrible job and I'm not surprised nobody wants him!! It was not just about bad tactics, using players out of position etc. I don't think the players liked him at all! Such an arrogant idiot, wish him all the worst..

In 1.

Still got a 6ft x 3ft pic of the big heeded useless bastard.

That Youtube video of the training session at SJP spoke volumes really, and i can fully agree with what Koye's said there - i bet the players didn't like him. I can remember an interview with Martins - as early as pre-season i think - of him reluctantly saying "he's [sam] very serious..."

I think it's hard to contemplate sticking with him, because it was so inevitable really. I was disappoined at the time of his sacking, but looking back in hindsight, we'd have done nothing but slowly slip further and further down the table. We definitely wouldn't have been relegated i wouldn't have though, but we'd have been 15th/16th. We'd never have stuck with him really.

As for the DOF thing, aye, i reckon it's a system he'd probably work with.

Guest Heneage

Its simple.

He worked brilliantly on no money, give him money and he fucked up.

The modern game involves lots of investment and the days of signing old free players just won't work long term, clubs are looking at long term futures, something he doesnt deal in, you wouldnt get an engineer in to do the plumbing its no different.

Guest Howaythetoon

Long-term SA would have proved a good appointment under the right circumstances, i.e. the ones in which FS would have created for him after the initial appointment. The football wouldn't have been great like but I still reckon 3 years under SA would have seen us in the top 6 and being a well run club to boot. A sad chapter in our history a manager getting just 21 games.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Fucking shit. 1/6 vs Derby. Fucking disgrace. That's not football, that's not a winning formula, that's a formula that'd have us in the Championship. Owen was isolated in Sam's shit formations etc. We would have been lucky not to go down.

Guest Stephen927

He made the tactics he used far too complicated and difficult to understand.

Completely sucked the life out of football.

Guest LucaAltieri

Long-term SA would have proved a good appointment under the right circumstances, i.e. the ones in which FS would have created for him after the initial appointment. The football wouldn't have been great like but I still reckon 3 years under SA would have seen us in the top 6 and being a well run club to boot. A sad chapter in our history a manager getting just 21 games.

The problems we have boil down to half-finishing jobs. Just as soon as we start to head in one direction something happens and we do a 180. It happened with Sam, Keegan, and with Ashley, too.

One policy gets applied just long enough to cost us a few million quid but before we can reap any of the rewards we've all got fed up, heads have rolled, and we're back to square one.

Sam was still a bad appointment, mind.

We'll have him back.

In the week, when asked about the fans reaction to last weeks loss, Megson said "I dont care, they have been against me since I arrived". Worrying comments I would say. I take it you would have him out in an instant ?

Guest trotter58

We'll have him back.

In the week, when asked about the fans reaction to last weeks loss, Megson said "I dont care, they have been against me since I arrived". Worrying comments I would say. I take it you would have him out in an instant ?

The supporters were chanting Allardyce's name at the last home game. I'd expect more of the same tomorrow against City.

We'll have him back.

The supporters were chanting Allardyce's name at the last home game. I'd expect more of the same tomorrow against City.

Definitely borrowed time then. Would Gartside take Sam back though ?