Palermo game, lineup

Skirge

I think 4-5-1 is a certainty - limited options up front, away game, likely to get pummelled. If Sibierski is fit he could play up front by himself to some effect, but the thought of Milner or Duff (or even that Spanish prick) leading the line by themselves is truly horrible...

I anticipate something like

--------------Harper----------------

Carr---Bramble---Moore---Baba

---------------Butt------------------

Solano---Parker---Zoggy---Duff

---------------Milner---------------

= a raping by the Sicilians!

I'd also love to see Troisi or Finnigan sit on the bench - we might need them in the coming months...

EDIT: I've just seen in another thread that Sibierski has been declared fit - Le Sib up front, Milner on the right and Nobby on the bench... Makes it look slightly better - still likely to get bent over with no lube :(

I'd go with the best we have availible (imo bellow), However Glenn will no doubt go with Bramble, Nobby, Car. Glen seems to be keeping his cards close to his chest on this one i hope Emre and Ameobi make it.

Harper

Taylor  Moore  Ramage  Baba

Milner    Parker  Butt  Zoggy

Sibierski  Duff

Subs

Krul

Car

Huntingdon

Bernard

Pattison

Solano

Luque

Where's your optimism, such gloom, get behind the lads.

I'm confident of a performance.

That's the problem - we've been producing the odd performance, unfortunately we're not producing any results...

Besides, equal top in the world's best league versus... us.

(That said, giving who is posting this, my irony detector is flashing ;) )

I am in shock but I am going to suggest a 4-5-1  bluebigeek.gif

-------------------Harper

Carr-------Taylor-------Moore-------Baba

------------------Bramble

---------Parker----------------Butt

Nobby----------------------------------Duff

--------------------Sibi

Harper

Carr Bramble Moore Babayaro

Milner Parker Emre Duff

Siberski Luque

Subs

Krul, Taylor, Ramage, Butt, Solano(80mins), N'Zogbia(70mins), Dyer(75mins)

On their game I’ve seen them start with a 3-5-2 with defensive wing backs this season so this will be our first time Roeder will have to come up with a way to beat them and this formation, their main strength is the midfield 3 with two box to box midfielders of Braciano and Simplicio who Scott Parker will have to deal with.

On our game Roeder must be clever in his selection with Charlton on Saturday we need to use our squad to best use, I would use the relatively more experienced centre backs of Moore and Bramble for the Thursday tie and bring in my preferred pair of Ramage and Taylor for Saturday.

In midfield Emre muscle problems seem to have returned however against their 3 its vital Emre and Parker play so we can deal with their main threat and Emre can be rested for Saturday.

On the wings I think Roeder should go with the legs of Milner out in Palermo and bring in the clever Solano for Saturday game.

And up front this fixture will be the most paper thin we have been for a game up front with Owen out, Martins out, Rossi out, Ameobi out, Dyer out (what other team has to deal with these injuries?) so Roeder must go with Alberto Luque who I would not be surprised if he stars out in Palermo and Siberski picks himself in Europe this season

Result- I think it will be close Palermo 1v1 Newcastle, Luque

Howay the Lads

Guest SeattleToon

We need to be pragmatic here and rest as many regulars for Saturday as we can. Even with a strong lineup we would be unlikely to nick a point off Palermo (let's not forget that their last two macthes have been away wins at AC Milan and Fiorentina and that they are top of Serie A).

Concede the three points to Palermo and focus on getting the three we really need against Sheffield United on Saturday.

I have wanted to see Titus play that role for ages, I think not being the last line of deffence would take a lot of pressure off him, he is quick eats up the pitch and rather see him flying into tackle up the field ouit of the box thean last minute dive in, in the box. He has a canny pass on himw hen he bothers, sometimes under pressure he hurrys the pass in like panic mode but with players still behind him he wil lclam and find his range.

my thoughts anyway :D  :thup:

Guest Ridzuan

The team has flown out and several key players were missing from the plane.Here are the travelling list.

Steve Harper, Tim Krul, Fraser Forster, Pavel Srnicek, Shay Given, Steven Taylor, Craig Moore, Titus Bramble, Peter Ramage, Paul Huntington, Olivier Bernard, Nobby Solano, Emre, Charles N'Zogbia, Nicky Butt, James Milner, James Troisi, Matty Pattison, Alan O'Brien, Albert Luque, Giuseppe Rossi, Antoine Sibierski, Andy Carroll

Carr,Parker,Duff and Babayaro all missing after Charlton match.So I guess we will be playing in a 4-5-1 formation or 4-4-1-1.I hope Luque will have play in some part of the match and so does Huntington.Any chance Bernard will be on the bench?

We're taking FIVE goalkeepers!? Obviously Pav can't play and Shay won't but still, Rossi can't play either and he's travelled and Emre, Butt, Taylor and Sibierski are doubtful according to .com so basically some of the kids will play. Is that good or bad?

Guest Ridzuan

We're taking FIVE goalkeepers!? Obviously Pav can't play and Shay won't but still, Rossi can't play either and he's travelled and Emre, Butt, Taylor and Sibierski are doubtful according to .com so basically some of the kids will play. Is that good or bad?

Well those who are ineligible to play or is recovering from injuries,they are just following to practice together which I think is a good thing.And to see some young talents playing,Im not sure whether its a good or bad thing,but I believe it will be good for their development and confidence.I would love to see Hutington playing.

Harper

Taylor Moore Bramble Ramage

Solano Emre Butt  N'Zogbia

Sibierski  Milner

If Emre, Butt and Sibi all make it. Roeder will pull out all the stops to make sure Luque doesn't start, Olly Bernard will probably play left midfield with Zog moving inside etc. just to make sure Luque isn't needed.

Harper

Taylor        Ramage          Moore      Baba

Butt

Parker

Milner                                           Duff

N'Zogbia

Luque

Is about the best team we can play at the moment. No doubt Roeder will decided Carr and Bramble should start, therefore we will get wooped by a vastly superior footballing side who play the game by defending well and passing the football.

Proving how little you know really.  Brambles stats for European games are good for a CB :-

06/07    6 games  1 goal -  Europe

05/06    Not in Europe

04/05    6 games 0 Goals - Europe We crumbled when Bramble and Dyer left the pitch

03/04    11 games  3 goals - Europe

Also to actually get the games in Europe the team ( Carr and Bramble) must have defended fairly well to progress.

I have wanted to see Titus play that role for ages, I think not being the last line of deffence would take a lot of pressure off him, he is quick eats up the pitch and rather see him flying into tackle up the field ouit of the box thean last minute dive in, in the box. He has a canny pass on himw hen he bothers, sometimes under pressure he hurrys the pass in like panic mode but with players still behind him he wil lclam and find his range.

my thoughts anyway :D  :thup:

I said something similar a few years back when i joined here. I think he would do quite well in an away game to an inform team, but he isn`t mobile enough to do it in the prem I don`t think

From the squad that has been selected...

Harper

Ramage --- Bramble --- Moore --- Taylor

Solano --- Butt --- N'Zogbia --- Milner

Sibierski --- Luque

Subs: Given, Huntington, Bernard, Emre, Pattison, O'Brien, Carroll

The defense pretty much picks itself, however, i anticipate Taylor and Ramage will switch flanks, regardless of how monumentally crap Ramage is on the left. Disappointed to have to pick Bramble - i would have taken Carr and put Taylor or Ramage in the centre with Moore... Carr's played well in Europe.

That midfield is the same one that played and did so well against Portsmouth in the Carling Cup, and i wouldn't be surprised if Roeder went with that one again. I'd like to see more of Zoggy in the centre, Nobby's crossing is great and we've got Sibierski in the box this time, and Milner was everywhere against Pompey.

Luque deserves his chance and Sibi is our European hero! :D

However... Palermo 4-1 Newcastle.

:lol:

-------------------------KRUL--------------------------------

RAMAGE----BRAMBLE--------MOORE----BERNARD-----

SOLANO---BUTT----N'ZOGBIA----EMRE----MILNER---

-------------------------LUQUE-----------------------------

Krul?!

Isn't there an easier way of ruining his confidence?

Guest smoggeordie

ROEDER TO PLAY YOUNGSTERS IN PALERMO

GR Will Give Youth A Chance

By Ian Willis in Palermo

MAGPIES boss Glenn Roeder says he will be willing to give youth a chance in Thursday's UEFA Cup group duel with Palermo in Sicily.

Roeder travelled to Italy without several key players, including skipper Scott Parker and summer signing Damien Duff, and Academy graduates James Troisi, Andy Carroll and Fraser Forster (pictured above) were called into the senior squad for the first time.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference at the Renzo Barbera Stadium, Roeder said: "Wherever I have managed or coached, I have always had a reputation of giving young players a chance.

"If the situation arose where I had to give one of the young lads a chance, then I would.

"Of the young lads that are included for the first time, I know all about them from my time with the Academy.

"Andy Carroll is a good young striker, he has done well in the reserves and scored the winner against Blackburn the other night,

"James Troisi is an exciting young talent, and Fraser Forster is someone who we think very highly of.

"There are also lads like Paul Huntington and Matty Pattison who have been on the fringes for a while now, and we would have no hesitation of putting them in to do a job."

Referring to the players he left behind, Roeder played down suggestions that he was simply giving them a rest.

He added: "Of the four players who were left behind - Parker, Duff, Babayaro and Carr - they are all carrying knocks.

"Had they been fit, they would have travelled, it's as simple as that.

"We will have to see if they are fit to face Sheffield United on Saturday, but we will think about that once the Palermo match is out of the way.

"We can't look too far ahead, the next game is the most important one and we are focused on getting a result here."

www.nufc.co.uk

Harper

Taylor Moore Ramage Bernard

Milner Emre Butt  N'Zogbia

Sibierski  Luque

Bench:

Krul/Bramble/Huntingdon/OB/Pattison/Solano/Carroll/Troisi

My only reservations are that Sibbers and Luque will play too similar jobs with neither being out and out strikers.

I dont think he will risk Bernard either.