Is this season

Guest thompers

Guest thompers

A true reflection of how heavily we relied on Shearer? And how much he carried us? Even as he faded towards the end of his career, he'd still be the first strikers name on the teamsheet for me, Owen aside, as we just looked a better team when he played compared to the shit that is now. We can't replace a man of Shearers quality with a little fast bloke from Inter, who in all honesty isn't even good yet. If we don't stop pissing around wasting £10m on strikers with potential instead of buying a proven forward to replace Shearer, in the Shearer mould, we're gonna be going nowhere fast (apart from downwards), imo.

Guest Imperio

I think we miss his influence behind the scenes most, Roeder to me doesn't look like the kind of bloke that could demand the same respect as Shearer did.

We definitely miss his presence up front. Someone like Martins who is young could learn a lot from him just by playing with him.

What we needed was an experienced "bridging" striker to keep us in business until Owen was back. Someone like Hasselbaink, Viduka, Sutton, Hartson, Cole would have got us goals in the short term as they know the English game inside out. Signing Martins and expecting him to deliver (In which he has failed spectacularly so far) was a massive gamble. We've tossed away £10million when we could have got a stop gap for less than £2million.

Dont even get me started on the "why didnt we go for Andrew Johnson" arguement.  :wullie:

What we needed was an experienced "bridging" striker to keep us in business until Owen was back. Someone like Hasselbaink, Viduka, Sutton, Hartson, Cole would have got us goals in the short term as they know the English game inside out. Signing Martins and expecting him to deliver (In which he has failed spectacularly so far) was a massive gamble. We've tossed away £10million when we could have got a stop gap for less than £2million.

Dont even get me started on the "why didnt we go for Andrew Johnson" arguement.  :wullie:

I disagree with you and I think the strikers in your list could not save us from troubles. Hasselbaink, Viduka, Sutton, Hartson, Cole are just past it. They still have flashes of class in them but they shouldn't be more than a 3rd or 4th strikers unless we aspire to be a low table team. John Hartson scores 3 goals in 9 games for the Baggies, a championship club; Last season Chris Sutton scores 1 in 10 for Birmingham. Mark Viduka 17 in 57 for Middlesbrough since joining them; Hasselbaink 1/9 for Charlton this season; and Andy Cole 10 in 20 games for Man City last season. [soccerbase]

Apart from Andy Cole, none of the above will do a satisfying job for us I am afraid. And Andy Cole is an immobile striker who is just a year younger than Shearer. We have already got a very decent striker in our squad, his name is Giuseppi Rossi. He not only scores, he also contributes a lot more to the game, and a lot more mobile than the strikers above.

Problem is, Roeder refuses to start him until forced to of late, when Sibierski and Ameobi are all injured. If we have had started Rossi far earlier on, we would have a competent stop gap in our hand. The pressure on Martins (face it he is a long term buy and never a stop gap purchase) will be far lighter and we would have bought an easy time until January.

Problem is that Rossi is away in the New Year. Hardly gonna be much help during the relegation dog fight.

Given the midfielders we have i think Viduka or Cole would have bagged at least 10 goals for us this season. I cant say the same for any of the strikers we have on the books at the mo.

I disagree with you and I think the strikers in your list could not save us from troubles. Hasselbaink, Viduka, Sutton, Hartson, Cole are just past it. They still have flashes of class in them but they shouldn't be more than a 3rd or 4th strikers unless we aspire to be a low table team. John Hartson scores 3 goals in 9 games for the Baggies, a championship club; Last season Chris Sutton scores 1 in 10 for Birmingham. Mark Viduka 17 in 57 for Middlesbrough since joining them; Hasselbaink 1/9 for Charlton this season; and Andy Cole 10 in 20 games for Man City last season. [soccerbase]

Apart from Andy Cole, none of the above will do a satisfying job for us I am afraid. And Andy Cole is an immobile striker who is just a year younger than Shearer. We have already got a very decent striker in our squad, his name is Giuseppi Rossi. He not only scores, he also contributes a lot more to the game, and a lot more mobile than the strikers above.

Have you heard the cliche "Lies, damned lies and statistics"?

Some players can't be judged on stats - in particular I'm talking about Marko Viduka. His style of target man with technique would not only have brought a few goals for himself, but created many more chances for his team mates. Of course, then the problem is that you need midfielders coming forward to take advantage of those opportunities...

Oh, and that sometimes he doesn't turn up - but that's better than Luque who never turns up...

It's a reflection of how amateur the top brass are at running a football club even up to an ordinary standard.

Exactly - Shearer's replacement should have been sorted out 2 years ago.

Owen is NOT the same type of player, and a srong target-man striker like Ashton should have been signed.

As for Martins, he isn't fit to lace Ashton's boots as a PREMIERSHIP striker.

Any manager who was worth salt would have attended to this ages ago , but then , the managers don't have full control when it comes to signings, do they....!!??

We only miss Shearer at the moment in the limited sense that, with our three best strikers all out injured, we could do with someone else at hand. Shearer or no Shearer, we've been struggling for the last three seasons.

I agree with Merlin - the process of replacing Shearer should have begun two years ago. The policy of keeping him as a first team regular right up till his retirement was stupid. If he was still good enough to be in the first team, why retire?