Paris

Dokko

Hello cultured and refined people of N-O. Me and the lass have decided instead of xmas prezzies for each other a nice romantic break away for a few days next Feb is what were going to put in for, and we both like the idea of Paris, though that is not set in stone.

We've found something which tickles our fancy, 3 nights flying from Newcastle to Paris, leaving Sat Morning, flight home Tuesday night for the 1st week in Feb 09. £188 for the room, £123 for the flights, so just a little over £300, not so bad.

The hotel is the Allegro, 3*** which is fine for our tastes, but people have complained of its location that its too far out of the centre, does this really matter? Is Paris that big? Its next to the 'Place de la Bastille' but reviews have complained there's not tube for a 10min walk and then a journey in.

I'm not sure how much that would bother, what the taxis like? Can't see them ripping me off since where we will need to be will be following the river line, or is that too simplistic way of looking at it?

Apart from wanting to find a nice place to stay, area or even hotel for around the price were looking at i was wondering where i should be going? Passed through when i was younger, but its really up to us where we go. I want to see the Eiffel tower and Notre Dames Cathedral, a few other places like that and maybe a meal cruise down the river to boot? Nice couple things, romantic and relaxing.

Thanks for looking and cheers for the ideas.

Just been there for a few days with the girlfriend myself, really enjoyed it.

The Metro system makes it pretty easy to get around, so I'd not be too worried about the location personally, though I've no idea where Bastille is tbh. Notre Dame is definitely worth a look, try and get there while there's a mass about to start. It's like some sort of evil ritual is going on, it's quality. I enjoyed the Catacombs too, really eerie.

Best thing is the food/wine there. Awesome.

http://www.relaisentrecote.fr/

Go there.

Chez recommended it to me, unbelievably good steak.

The Metro system makes it pretty easy to get around, so I'd not be too worried about the location personally, though I've no idea where Bastille is tbh. Notre Dame is definitely worth a look, try and get there while there's a mass about to start. It's like some sort of evil ritual is going on, it's quality. I enjoyed the Catacombs too, really eerie.

Go there.

Nice one mate, this is exactly what i'm looking for.

Where did you stay? (hotel name)?

Go there.

Shak, just copy the PM i sent you in here. I didnt save it.

Bastille isn't that far out, but it depends what you want to do in Paris. if you want to stick to the tourist sights, eiffel tower, left-bank, louvre etc you might be better off somewhere more central. close to bastille are interesting areas like marais or trendy areas like rue charonne.

looking at a map of your hotel it seems to be closer to place de la nation which is even further out than bastille.

we stayed here http://www.hotel-palais-bourbon.com/ seems to be similar rates to your place but better located, it's really nice, view of eiffel tower from window (just) and big bedrooms by paris standards.

Dont want to put a downer on it but when I went, we were on a tour bus and as it pulled up to that fuck off big roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe some bloke stuck in the traffic chaos was openly masturbating at the wheel of his car.

Sunday 1st Feb is the Mackems at home, will be in a pub somewhere if you want to meet.

Chez Pierrot on rue de Lappe is a really nice little bar just near by that does lush rum from the french Caribbean.

http://www.fra.cityvox.fr/bars-et-boites_paris/chez-pierrot_200045863/Profil-Lieu

Most likely the weekend after, know i said 1st week soz for the confusion but that would be ace cheers.  :thup:

What's the weather like that time of year? Is it just like here or a bit nicer?

Bastille isn't that far out, but it depends what you want to do in Paris. if you want to stick to the tourist sights, eiffel tower, left-bank, louvre etc you might be better off somewhere more central. close to bastille are interesting areas like marais or trendy areas like rue charonne.

looking at a map of your hotel it seems to be closer to place de la nation which is even further out than bastille.

we stayed here http://www.hotel-palais-bourbon.com/ seems to be similar rates to your place but better located, it's really nice, view of eiffel tower from window (just) and big bedrooms by paris standards.

That looks canny mate, just what im looking for.

Dont want to put a downer on it but when I went, we were on a tour bus and as it pulled up to that fuck off big roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe some bloke stuck in the traffic chaos was openly masturbating at the wheel of his car.

That was Chez.

That looks canny mate, just what im looking for.

it's really nice. ive been to paris 4 or 5 times and it's the nicest place ive stayed at and not too expensive. run by a family as well. the area is very central and very safe cos there are govt offices (like sarkozy's residence) around there. the rodin museum is at one end of the street and the seine at the other. if you look on google maps they have streetview for Paris now so you can see for yourself.

Sunday 1st Feb is the Mackems at home, will be in a pub somewhere if you want to meet.

Chez Pierrot on rue de Lappe is a really nice little bar just near by that does lush rum from the french Caribbean.

http://www.fra.cityvox.fr/bars-et-boites_paris/chez-pierrot_200045863/Profil-Lieu

Most likely the weekend after, know i said 1st week soz for the confusion but that would be ace cheers.  :thup:

What's the weather like that time of year? Is it just like here or a bit nicer?

Feb can be fucking cold, as cold as Newcastle, just depends though. At the moment its quite mild.

Get Shak to send you the PM i sent him, loads of recommends in it for things to do. Happily meet for a bevvy, another Whitley lad in town is an event as far as i'm concerned.  :thup:

That was Chez.

I was bored.

Guest lankybellwipe

That was Chez.

I was bored.

Disgusting...................  absolutely disgusting!

That was Chez.

I was bored.

You dont know the half of it. I thought the window was open....

This is the PM Chez sent me.

------------------------

TTD in Paris

Walks

Montmartre (18th arrondissement) - my favourite quartier, get off at Abbesses metro and explore the area towards sacre coeur, walk up to the church and then off to the west side there is a nice square with cafes / creperies etc. I usually have a walk up there on a sunday afternoon and get an ice cream somewhere.

The Marais 3rd / 4th - Metro St Paul - Walk to Place des Vosges then double back towards rue Vielle du Temple go and get a Falafel  in one of the lush jewish fast food joints, nice quartier to explore on foot.

St-Germain de Pres - 6th (The Left Bank) Metro St Germain de Pres. You need to explore this area and in the evening go to L'entrecote(see below)

Museums

Musee D'Orsay on Quai d'Orsay is just across the river from the Louvre. Do both. Magnificent places. Walk from the Louvre to Arc de Triomphe, up the Champs Elysees.

There is an interesting Picasso exhibition on the Grand Palais (Picasso et les Maîtres).

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?fx=event&event_id=220006

Off the beaten track up in the very cool 19th is a new art space just opened, worth a look.

Le CENTQUATRE (104) open Tues-Sat 11am-11pm, Sun & Mon 11am-10pm, 104, rue d'Aubervilliers, 75019 Paris  http://www.104.fr

Restaurants

Go here, it is a parisian institution and you will never have had steak and chips like it. Go to the one in the 6th, 20 rue Saint-Benoit as that means you have had a nice walk around the galleries and shops nearby.

You dont book and you will have to queue depending on when you arrive. You queue because its fucking lush. You will be seated and a waitress will come and ask you 2 questions. "Quelle cuisson?" meaning how would you like it cooked and "desirez-vous quelque chose a boire". Order the house red 'un vin rouge Frais s'il vous plait'. Next she will arrive with the starter which is a salad, then the main course, she will serve you chips, steak and a secret recipe sauce that is amazing. You get two helpings as they come back and offer you more. Then you get a menu! For dessert. The profiteroles are awesome.

If you want me to book you somewhere posh, or a small cheap brasserie, just let me know (You got my number?).

Bars

Brady's Irish Bar, 14 rue de Lisbonne, my local, my best mate's bar and the centre of one of my social circles. The football is on in there. We should watch the game on tuesday together.

The Bombardier, 2 Place du Pantheon, nice english pub, serves very good beer but if you're after Guinness then Brady's is best.

That should sort you out for now but honestly mate, just give us a call, will be happy to help out and meet for a drink etc.

Dont want to put a downer on it but when I went, we were on a tour bus and as it pulled up to that f*** off big roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe some bloke stuck in the traffic chaos was openly masturbating at the wheel of his car.

That was Chez.

I was bored.

You know whats even more disgusting?, The incident happened 12 years ago and to this day the image of this bloke going ten to the dozen, with one hand on the wheel and the other on his fleshy gearstick is almost as fresh and clear in my mind today as it was 12 years ago!

I must have a bit of gay in me.

Guest lankybellwipe

Dont want to put a downer on it but when I went, we were on a tour bus and as it pulled up to that f*** off big roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe some bloke stuck in the traffic chaos was openly masturbating at the wheel of his car.

That was Chez.

I was bored.

You know whats even more disgusting?, The incident happened 12 years ago and to this day the image of this bloke going ten to the dozen, with one hand on the wheel and the other on his fleshy gearstick is almost as fresh and clear in my mind today as it was 12 years ago!

Julian Clary keeps thinkin that when Boy George is eating his afters!

That was Chez.

I was bored.

Julian Clary keeps thinkin that when Boy George is eating his afters!

Awwww!  :lol:

• 1 year later...

Any of our resident Parisians know of anything happening in Paris this week? Flying out tomorrow and fancy seeing some of the non-obligatory sights - have read Chez's review above, will take it with me. Anything in the last 18months worth discovering?

Any of our resident Parisians know of anything happening in Paris this week? Flying out tomorrow and fancy seeing some of the non-obligatory sights - have read Chez's review above, will take it with me. Anything in the last 18months worth discovering?

it's paris's gay pride weekend.

like you didn't know.

it's paris's gay pride weekend.

like you didn't know.

It's alright, I'll be helping out at Blakelaw Pride 2010 on Sat morning.