So Poyet WAS lined up for the job after Keegan left

Guest Darth Toon

Guest Darth Toon

From the Times:

Poyet accepts that the best he can probably hope for is a job in the Coca-Cola Championship – at Watford, for example – but has rejected one opportunity to start his managerial career at the highest level. As was suspected at the time, Poyet was in the running to replace Kevin Keegan as Newcastle United manager this season, only to be put off by the fans’ hostility towards the existing board and Wise, the club’s executive director (football).

“In the first five days after Keegan left I could have taken the job,” Poyet said. “I was interested and was ready, but after all the madness and craziness with the fans I decided it wasn’t right for me. I like to fight, but when you know you’re not welcome in a place it’s better not to risk it. The relationship I have with Dennis would have made it very difficult for me, especially given it would have been my first job as a manager.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article5110528.ece

So does this mean we can finally put to bed all this "if it wasn't for the protests we could have had Deschamps/Zico/Terim/Mourinho" bullshit?

If it wasn't for the protests we would have had Gus fucking Poyet (GFK?) so as far as I'm concerned well done to everyone who took part!  :clap:

From the Times:

Poyet accepts that the best he can probably hope for is a job in the Coca-Cola Championship – at Watford, for example – but has rejected one opportunity to start his managerial career at the highest level. As was suspected at the time, Poyet was in the running to replace Kevin Keegan as Newcastle United manager this season, only to be put off by the fans’ hostility towards the existing board and Wise, the club’s executive director (football).

“In the first five days after Keegan left I could have taken the job,” Poyet said. “I was interested and was ready, but after all the madness and craziness with the fans I decided it wasn’t right for me. I like to fight, but when you know you’re not welcome in a place it’s better not to risk it. The relationship I have with Dennis would have made it very difficult for me, especially given it would have been my first job as a manager.”

So does this mean we can finally put to bed all this "if it wasn't for the protests we could have had Deschamps/Zico/Terim/Mourinho" bullshit?

If it wasn't for the protests we would have had Gus f***ing Poyet (GFK?) so as far as I'm concerned well done to everyone who took part!  :clap:

by the same token if it puts him off who else would it put off.

Deschamps - Linked with loads of clubs but no fucker wants him or he is being very choosy, will he match KK for time out of the game?

Zico - I think he would leave FC Bunyodkor in a shot if the Newcastle job was offered to him

Terim - Leave him in Turkey

Mourinho - I guess that is your sarcastic offering :thup:

From the Times:

If it wasn't for the protests we would have had Gus f***ing Poyet (GFK?) so as far as I'm concerned well done to everyone who took part!  :clap:

by the same token if it puts him off who else would it put off.

it only put him off because of his relationship with wise/jiminez/ashley. he would rightly be seen as a crony. an outsider wouldnt have this problem, and though we know zico and terim wanted to come here, i think most managers who dont work in the continental system would've been turned off by the interference from the boardroom.

Dread to think what would have happened in the immediate aftermath of a Poyet appointment.

Saying that, if he put a few results together early doors people would have soon been off his back.

I cant really see the reason that folk dont like him, but i certainly dont think he had enough experience for the nufc job.

Constantly scored past us and denied us the best chance we had of winning silverwear over recent time

I cant really see the reason that folk dont like him, but i certainly dont think he had enough experience for the nufc job.

Constantly scored past us and denied us the best chance we had of winning silverwear over recent time

from a football persepective, yes, he is very annoying but always thought he seemed a decent fella.

What would have gone against him is the fact that he would have seemed like the last member to join Ashley's clique. The final straw in the jobs-for-the-boys structure to the club

Guest Heneage

It does make you wonder who else it put off, it would probably only appeal to a man who likes a challenge. e interesting to see if the interested uyers have a man lined up.

It does make you wonder who else it put off, it would probably only appeal to a man who likes a challenge. e interesting to see if the interested uyers have a man lined up.

It does rather make me wonder what criteria they had for their new manager appointment before it became clear they were no longer wanted. Experience had the highest level? Nah. An affinity with the club or region? Nope. Someone to inspire the players and crowd? Definitely not. A proven pedigree? Not really. A friend they knew they felt they could trust and who would fit into the system (i.e. not ask any nasty questions)? Looks like it.

It does rather make me wonder what criteria they had for their new manager appointment before it became clear they were no longer wanted. Experience had the highest level? Nah. An affinity with the club or region? Nope. Someone to inspire the players and crowd? Definitely not. A proven pedigree? Not really. A friend they knew they felt they could trust and who would fit into the system (i.e. not ask any nasty questions)? Looks like it.

:lol: :thup:

The club where finding out who was interested so that they could put a shortlist together from what I remember, which is why they contacted the Deportivo manager too to see if he would be interested if the job was offered too.

It doesn't say anywhere that he was offered the job straight away.

What would have gone against him is the fact that he would have seemed like the last member to join Ashley's clique. The final straw in the jobs-for-the-boys structure to the club

So let's see...

Keegan is praised for walking because he couldn't put his own team together.

Ashley, though, must be a twat for trying to put his own team together.

Yeah, but after Keegan decided to go, I fail to see why it's automatically a bad idea to think of a manager who would be on the same wavelength as the DOF the previous incumbent apparently had trouble with.

I don't particularly want Poyet here, just pointing out the other side of the coin.

Poyet talking himself up & keeping himself in the general football picture by claiming he was on the list for our managers job, now that he's out of work.

Amazing how many people are ready to fall for this stuff.

I'm sure people in football will know whether he's lying or not. And if he is I don't see how that will help him get another job.