World Wars

Haz

I'm not sure if I've asked this on here but I never got a sufficient answer so here goes:

What constitutes a World War?  or in a different way, when does a war become a World war?  It's particularly poignant today of all days but I'm damned if I can get someone to come up with an answer.

It cannot be when the Yanks are involved, they were, as we learned to our costs late arrivals at both wars. If it were that, then why isn't Iraq World War III?

Any Ideas?

A war the world cannot escape from? For example the Iraq war is happen but all we have is our opinions of it, whereas the world wars had the world standing still for years, so i dunno, maybe its a world war if the effects are felt globally?

A war that rages across the continents like both world wars...

Europe

Africa

Asia

Americas

WW1 was only fought in Europe and the middle east really though.

and it wasnt reffered to as a world war at the time, untill later by historians, at the time it was called the great war.

Europe

Africa

Asia

Americas

According to wiki WW1 was fought in Europe, Africa and the Middle East (briefly in China and the Pacific Islands).

For me a world war is a war that contains 2 or more of the so called 'super powers' or has 3 or more nations involved on both sides.

Guest Howaythetoon

Europe

Africa

Asia

Americas

But still involved nations from America, Africa etc. so really that's what a world war is about. You could say the war on terror is a world war, like the war on drugs and crime too.

As far as I am aware, the second world war did not rage over the American continent but was a W.W. Before America came in.  So it cannot just be about the combatants.

Certain Historians insist the Napoleonic Wars should have been World War One.  But it just fogs the issue.

Next world war, or massive major conlfict will be around water. Energy can be got by a variety of means other than fossil fuels (nuclear etc). Fresh water is harder to come by, de-salination is expensive and requires a lot of energy, so its easier for some countries to invade and take other peoples water (Israel, also USA and Mexico)

Its a combination of factors, countries and where the wars & battles are fought.

and also  the countries involved . ie australia may not have been in a war zone 1914-18 but it was certainly involved.

Oh yeah, they were part of the Brit Empire so we dragged into it.