JK is f*cking useless with substitutions

alpal78

What irritates me most about JK is that he is absolutely fucking useless in handling substitutions and trying to change a game. He just sits down on the bench looking glum and dumb like a right wing Conservative! He does not react to the opponent's substitutions nor take the initiative to change the game. The only substitutions he makes are those that are fucking obvious....bringing Owen in even then belatedly. Some substitution mistakes he made today are:

1) He should brought Owen earlier on, but waited and waited. Ameobi did absolutely nothing in the first 45 and Martins was horrible for large parts of the second half (it pains me to say this but today the bumbling Ameobi actually displayed better ball control than Martins). JK could have brought Owen in at half time to replace Ameobi or brought Owen on earlier in the second half to replace Martins when it was so obvious that this was gonna be one of his super shit days. Instead he waited so long to bring Owen on (after we were trailing again). It's fucking Owen you have on the bench for God sake, not Andy Carrol!

2) When he did brought on Owen , he took Jonas off who has been the only player to really cause Fulham any problems. Should have taken Duff off instead who was so knackered by the 70th minute.

3) It was so obvious that Butt and Duff could not run anymore in the last 15-10 minutes, yet he kept them on till the full 90 despite having the luxury of both Zoggy and Guthrie on the bench. Even if he didn’t rate these two players (and he would be wrong), any novice manager will tell you that some fresh legs (and in the case of Zoggy fast legs) can do wonders towards the last 10-15 minutes when the opponents have no more legs.   

Winning games is perhaps 60/70% player's ability and 40/30% tactics, formations and substitutions. Right now when we do win, it's only because of the players' ability.

Keep him for the short term but please nothing beyond December!

I think his substitutions have generally been poor since he's been in charge, I thought this prior to yesterdays game.

I'm also disappointed that N'Zogbia hasn't even come off the bench for the last 4 or so games. He'd probably been one of our better players this season until JK took over. Duff has played better recently I'll give him that but he was shite yesterday and still shows no end product.

I think his substitutions have generally been poor since he's been in charge, I thought this prior to yesterdays game.

I'm also disappointed that N'Zogbia hasn't even come off the bench for the last 4 or so games. He'd probably been one of our better players this season until JK took over. Duff has played better recently I'll give him that but he was s**** yesterday and still shows no end product.

This is not even about whether he thinks Duff is better than Zoggy. It's basic substitution strategy to bring on a fresh player for a tiring one towards the end when you are chaisng a game, even if the former only has 75% ability of the latter (and I don't even think such a gap exist between Duff and Zoggy. In fact until quite recently, Zoggy has been the better option).

Skirge I disagree that it was good move to put on Owen for Jonas. Even if you think Jonas wasn't on top form, he was still doing more than Duff...by quite some margin.

So the one substitution he did make, he got it completely wrong = fucking useless with substitutions. 

Guest shearer_206

Totally agree, he's shite at knowing when/who to replace....

Just posted this as part of the (shite) Cacapa thread:

And to finish off my rant.... Why on earth can't JFK make substituations? .... Why not bring N'Zogbia on or get some legs in the midfield in Guthrie, Butt was rank and I feel it should have been Duff & not Jonas who should have been subbed.

I'm also disappointed that N'Zogbia hasn't even come off the bench for the last 4 or so games. He'd probably been one of our better players this season until JK took over. Duff has played better recently I'll give him that but he was s**** yesterday and still shows no end product.

This is not even about whether he thinks Duff is better than Zoggy. It's basic substitution strategy to bring on a fresh player for a tiring one towards the end when you are chaisng a game, even if the former only has 75% ability of the latter (and I don't even think such a gap exist between Duff and Zoggy. In fact until quite recently, Zoggy has been the better option).

Skirge I disagree that it was good move to put on Owen for Jonas. Even if you think Jonas wasn't on top form, he was still doing more than Duff...by quite some margin.

So the one substitution he did make, he got it completely wrong = fucking useless with substitutions.  

It completely agree with you, my N'Zogbia comment was more of an unrelated comment/annoyance.

I was shocked to say the least when he took Jonas off. Switching to 3 up front is a good idea when behind but not when you take off the only midfielder who scares defenders.

Butt offers nothing going forward (And little enough going back) so he should have been the one to make way IMO. And there was a very strong argument for N'Zogbia on for Duff as well.

Martins Ameobi Owen

N'Zogbia Barton Jonas

That would have been a lot more frightening to Fulham than what we ended up watching.

I was shocked to say the least when he took Jonas off. Switching to 3 up front is a good idea when behind but not when you take off the only midfielder who scares defenders.

Butt offers nothing going forward (And little enough going back) so he should have been the one to make way IMO. And there was a very strong argument for N'Zogbia on for Duff as well.

Martins Ameobi Owen

N'Zogbia Barton Jonas

That would have been a lot more frightening to Fulham than what we ended up watching.

I was just thinking about our home game with Man City. When they were chasing the game they ended up with about 4 strikers on and had attack-minded midfielders as well. Sure, we only had 10 in that game so it wasn't as risky, but they really went for it and they managed an equaliser.

We were chasing an equaliser, against a team that wasn't that great and to which we had applied decent pressure in periods against during the match and what does Kinnear do? Takes off Jonas and puts on Owen.

Yes, a striker on for a winger could be deemed attacking but there were so many more options that he could have played. I agree with that line-up, though it would have put considerable pressure on our defence. But at 2-1 down, does that really matter?

Also, the main problem with removing Jonas, despite him not playing that well, was that without him on, Martins was the only pacy player we had left. We would have been far more dangerous if N'Zogbia had come on, even if he was doing his 'headless chicken running'. Players running at Fulham's defence at pace would have been 1000x more effective than that long-ball nonsense we ended the game with.

What irritates me most about JK is that he is absolutely fucking useless in handling substitutions and trying to change a game. He just sits down on the bench looking glum and dumb like a right wing Conservative! He does not react to the opponent's substitutions nor take the initiative to change the game. The only substitutions he makes are those that are fucking obvious....bringing Owen in even then belatedly. Some substitution mistakes he made today are:

1) He should brought Owen earlier on, but waited and waited. Ameobi did absolutely nothing in the first 45 and Martins was horrible for large parts of the second half (it pains me to say this but today the bumbling Ameobi actually displayed better ball control than Martins). JK could have brought Owen in at half time to replace Ameobi or brought Owen on earlier in the second half to replace Martins when it was so obvious that this was gonna be one of his super shit days. Instead he waited so long to bring Owen on (after we were trailing again). It's fucking Owen you have on the bench for God sake, not Andy Carrol!

2) When he did brought on Owen , he took Jonas off who has been the only player to really cause Fulham any problems. Should have taken Duff off instead who was so knackered by the 70th minute.

3) It was so obvious that Butt and Duff could not run anymore in the last 15-10 minutes, yet he kept them on till the full 90 despite having the luxury of both Zoggy and Guthrie on the bench. Even if he didn’t rate these two players (and he would be wrong), any novice manager will tell you that some fresh legs (and in the case of Zoggy fast legs) can do wonders towards the last 10-15 minutes when the opponents have no more legs.   

Winning games is perhaps 60/70% player's ability and 40/30% tactics, formations and substitutions. Right now when we do win, it's only because of the players' ability.

Keep him for the short term but please nothing beyond December!

Don't forget it wasn't just Guthrie and Charlie on the bench, it was Geremi too - a player who it would have made sense to bring on with Owen given that Geremi sets the majority of his goals up.

Overall, I thought JFK's performance at Fulham was absolutely shambolic.

Don't forget it wasn't just Guthrie and Charlie on the bench, it was Geremi too - a player who it would have made sense to bring on with Owen given that Geremi sets the majority of his goals up.

Overall, I thought JFK's performance at Fulham was absolutely shambolic.

Let's be honest, the job done by Kinnear at Fulham could hardly even be described as a performance.  It reminded me very much of a game with Roeder in charge.

Jonas is tiring quite significantly towards the end of games at the moment. At the start of the season, his fitness level was astounding - he was getting up and down the pitch like a greyhound. However he's not at that level yet. I wasn't completely surprised when he got taken off.

Managers often do this thing of putting on a third striker when they're chasing a game, but I often feel that whatever you gain on firepower you lose in terms of the shape and balance of the side. As people have said, we seemed to be playing more long balls after the substitution. I usually prefer a like for like sub with the midfield just instructed to get forward more. Zoggy for Jonas and Owen for Martins would have made more sense to me.

Managers often do this thing of putting on a third striker when they're chasing a game, but I often feel that whatever you gain on firepower you lose in terms of the shape and balance of the side. As people have said, we seemed to be playing more long balls after the substitution. I usually prefer a like for like sub with the midfield just instructed to get forward more.

Completely agree. One thing we weren't doing was stretching Fulham, they did it against us with their full backs and as a consequence were able to cross freely and drag out back four around. He needed to allow (or encourage) Beye and Enrique to overlap and pull a player out, they defended deep and dealt with the majority of what we threw at them.

Managers often do this thing of putting on a third striker when they're chasing a game, but I often feel that whatever you gain on firepower you lose in terms of the shape and balance of the side. As people have said, we seemed to be playing more long balls after the substitution. I usually prefer a like for like sub with the midfield just instructed to get forward more.

Completely agree. One thing we weren't doing was stretching Fulham, they did it against us with their full backs and as a consequence were able to cross freely and drag out back four around. He needed to allow (or encourage) Beye and Enrique to overlap and pull a player out, they defended deep and dealt with the majority of what we threw at them.

JK doesn't seem to like our full backs getting forward too much. Maybe it's my imagination, but they don't seem to be getting ahead of our wide players as much as they used to.

Guest Chris P

Had Owen tucked away his sitter, or Coloccini likewise, would this thread even exist?

exactly. bringing Owen on, a bad substitsion? If you Knobs think you can do better . Apply for the job.

Had Owen tucked away his sitter, or Coloccini likewise, would this thread even exist?

So because Owen missed a chance, that gives the manager the right to basically give up on the game and not try and change anything? For the last 15, Fulham were in cruise control and we let them be.