Chris Morgan's assault on Iain Hume

Mr. Snrub

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/7726961.stm

The Football Association has confirmed it may still take action over Sheffield United captain Chris Morgan's challenge on Barnsley striker Iain Hume.

An FA spokesman told BBC Radio Sheffield it is expecting to receive more evidence from Barnsley.

"We've been told by Barnsley that we will receive further evidence and that will be reviewed, before making any final decision on this case," he said.

Barnsley have also confirmed they will meet on Monday to discuss legal action.

Reds boss Simon Davey confirmed the club will discuss the matter with their lawyers and with Hume's representatives before they decide whether to take legal action.

Morgan received a booking from match referee Andy D'Urso for the challenge and as he has already dealt with the incident it is unlikely the FA will take any further action.

But the FA can assess the situation as an exceptional case, as they did when Manchester City's Ben Thatcher was charged with serious foul play for elbowing Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes in 2006.

Thatcher received a yellow card during the game, but was later handed an eight-game suspension.

Morgan deliberately elbows Hume in the head, fractures his skull and gives him internal bleeding to the point he required emergency surgery, yet he only got a yellow card.  Fucking disrace.

Morgan had been at it all game apparently and the ref never said anything, and you can see clearly he has a look over his shoulder to check where the player is before he assaulted him.  He's always been a scumbag and if the FA don't intervene and give him a big fucking fine and a lengthy ban they're just letting him get away with being nowt but a thug.

Having now seen it, I don't think you can call this assault in a court of law. It was bad, but it is not out of the realm of what is seen on a football pitch. In my opinion, to get charged with assault during a sporting event, you have to do something out of line with what is normally seen/done in that sport. And that is not the case in that situation.

Still not seen it yet, but sounds really nasty.

Youtube "Morgan the thug" and you can see it in pretty bad quality, although the final replay of it is clear as day.  Sickening.

Cheers.

Pretty bad that, looks intentional. How the ref didn't send him off is beyond belief.

Last night, Frazier Campbell got the very same punishment for hugging a fan.

Respect for referees? Works both ways like. Summat's wrong.

The Morgan/Hume incident was absolutely disgraceful really. I can't recall whether or not Morgan actually looked beforehand, but regardless, it was intentional - for whatever reason. He didn't need to elbow him like that at all.

Having now seen it, I don't think you can call this assault in a court of law. It was bad, but it is not out of the realm of what is seen on a football pitch. In my opinion, to get charged with assault during a sporting event, you have to do something out of line with what is normally seen/done in that sport. And that is not the case in that situation.

If he had jumped for the ball and elbowed him in the act of jumping, maybe. You cant get away with positioning yourself next to an opponent and elbow them in the head.

He's a cunt in my book.

Guest Geordiesned

I'm puzzled how the FA can say they are investigating the incident and may take further action when a yellow card was issued at the time. They've already gone on record this season and last saying that if a yellow card is issued by the ref they can't issue further punishment.

I'm puzzled how the FA can say they are investigating the incident and may take further action when a yellow card was issued at the time. They've already gone on record this season and last saying that if a yellow card is issued by the ref they can't issue further punishment.

They make it up as they go along.

They did when they punished Thatcher a few year back.

That said though it's the usual rules that are wrong IMO rather than them acting on these cases retrospectively.

Guest Chubby Jason

He should be banned for life and handed over to the courts. Until the FA act this kind of disgusting behaviour will continue and someone will end up dead, take my word for it.

He should be banned for life and handed over to the courts. Until the FA act this kind of disgusting behaviour will continue and someone will end up dead, take my word for it.

Presumably you'd want the courts to prosecute him then?

How long would you give him then? ???

Guest Chubby Jason

Shearer's done worse than that tbf.

Seems harsh but it's part and parcel of the game. Morgan's a big rough b****** but if the ref gave a yellow then it should stay a yellow. IMO of course.

Shearer ever fractured anyone's skull? Very nearly causing their death? How the fuck is assaulting someone by brutally bashing in their skull "all part and parcel of the game"? What a ridiculous statement, and if you think that a yellow was reasonable punishment then I'd hate to see what a player has to do to get a red card.

Guest Chubby Jason

Presumably you'd want the courts to prosecute him then?

How long would you give him then? ???

I'd like to see him charged with GBH, which is basically what it was. If i elbowed someone in the temple for the crime of standing next to me in the street or in my job I would expect to do some prison time, especially if it ended fractured the person's skull for goodness sake.

Didn't Bowyer face a criminal charge over his stupid handbags incident with Dyer?? The world has gone mad it really has.

Seems harsh but it's part and parcel of the game. Morgan's a big rough bastard but if the ref gave a yellow then it should stay a yellow. IMO of course.

Bollocks.

Part and parcel of the game?  Yeah, of course playing football comes with a risk of getting injured, but when someone intentionally goes out to do severe damage it's a totally different story.  Saying shit like it's part and parcel of the game is just letting thugs get away with their actions.

And please remind me when Shearer has  "done worse" than fracture someones skull and put their life in danger?  Even though Shearer has got absolutely fuck all to do with this debate.

Seems harsh but it's part and parcel of the game. Morgan's a big rough b****** but if the ref gave a yellow then it should stay a yellow. IMO of course.

Shearer ever fractured anyone's skull? Very nearly causing their death? How the fuck is assaulting someone by brutally bashing in their skull "all part and parcel of the game"? What a ridiculous statement, and if you think that a yellow was reasonable punishment then I'd hate to see what a player has to do to get a red card.

First off, I never said yellow was a 'reasonable punishment'. The ref gave a yellow and I said it should stay a yellow.

Second off, can you prove he actually MEANT to fracture his skull?

Third off, Shearer kicked Neil Lennon full in the face. Should he have been banned from playing again and handed over to the courts?

You're over-reacting. It was a dangerous challenge which has unfortunately left the lad with a cracked skull. He was punished by the arbiter of the game and it should be put to bed. No reason whatsoever for bringing the police/courts into it. If that was the case you'd need a dozen bobbies on the sidelines at every game of Rugby up and down the country.