Laptop/Netbook recommendations

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

I need a laptop that's reasonably powerful without costing the earth, something that I can maintain a website from and plug me bits of things into like my phone or digi camera. Something pretty robust too as it will be traveling around with me when I'm on the road. Also can you charge a laptop from a car and are these dongle things any good? I'll be uploading to the web so would need a reasonably quick internet access package thing. Any suggestions? Budget about 500 quid.

Guest Howaythetoon

I need something more like a PC.

Why? Sounds like you're mostly using it for internet use. That Samsung looks nice and runs XP.

I'll be using it for the web but I'll mainly be editing and publishing a website from it, including photographs straight from my phone or camera so I'll need something that pretty much does what my PC does.

Nah, you just need USB ports for the photos and that. Editing a website doesn't need much power, surely? All you lose in reality from what I can see is an optical drive; they run XP as normal.

Like I say, take a look at this: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/samsung-nc10.aspx

Looks gorgeous, I want one. Only £285 too: http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/272863/samsung-nc10-atom-n270-1-6ghz-1gb-1/

Guest Howaythetoon

Does look interesting like and the price seems very cheep. Do you have any experience of a netbook Dave? I quite like samsung too, have a few things they make and never have any real problems with them.

No, but I don't think I'd bother with a full laptop if I was going to be on the move that much.

Others on here might be better qualified to chat about netbooks than me, I'm pretty sure some have them.

Guest Howaythetoon

No, but I don't think I'd bother with a full laptop if I was going to be on the move that much.

Why are they not too robust?

Guest Howaythetoon

I just mean I'd prefer something smaller and lighter like a netbook.

Ah get you. I'll not be lugging it around with me too much outside of taking it to a hotel room or when I get home back to the house with me.

I have one of these > http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadefjjgejfgcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=158734&category_oid=

Easy to use, light as a feather and I carry it around whenever I go away, from that Im able to do all my web work, surf the net and anything else. I wouldnt want to use it 24/7 but as long as you have a PC for when you're home then these are ideal. They even come with bluetooth and a webcam built in.

got this one about a month or so ago:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5BDC&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=siemens&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=50034

aside from Vista (which i've stripped off and gone back with XP Pro) it's a grand laptop. decent memory and HD space. graphics card's sufficient  - i do some web work and a lot of photo work on it - decent screen as well.

only down side if the fan kicking off at odd times. but that's a minor complaint.

I have one of these > http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadefjjgejfgcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=158734&category_oid=

Easy to use, light as a feather and I carry it around whenever I go away, from that Im able to do all my web work, surf the net and anything else. I wouldnt want to use it 24/7 but as long as you have a PC for when you're home then these are ideal. They even come with bluetooth and a webcam built in.

It's great apart from the shitty mousepad thingy.

Cheers fellas, what do you mean by the fan kicking off Munkey?

bad choice of words, sorry. i meant the fan starts at odd times and does get a bit noisy - but it seems to have stopped a bit since i started back with XP. so it could have somethin to do with Vista hammering the memory/ processor so the fan kicks in.

macs my arse! PC all the way. I want one of those mini netbook things too. Was looking at the Acer Aspire one. on XP. dont want to use Linux. I had a little go of one in comet yesterday but not a proper go. I wouldnt be using it often. only when i come home and on the train home. Dont know whether to get one or whether to spend the same ammount of money on a laptop.