Entertainment value, 90s vs. Present

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I was just watching highlights from several of the 90s seasons, which made me realize the football itself was much more pleasant to watch than the football being played these days. I felt more entertained, the players could actually do sliding tackles without being killed by the refs and not to mention the players looking like they cared much more than they do these days when it seems to be all about the money, not about the passion.

So, if you had the choice between watching a neutral (non-Newcastle) Premier League match from the early seasons of the Premier League rather than the later seasons, which decade would you choose your match from, and why?

Don't want to patronise, but they're called highlights for a reason.

:lol:

It was from watching the highlights I remembered how I liked the 90s better football-wise. It's not like I compared the highlights from the 90s to last weeks MOTW or something ffs  :pow:

Guest Heneage

The game in general was better in my opinion. Players weren't paid the entirely obscene money they are now, like more for scoring a goal than My dad would get in a year. And they weren't totally unapproachable pricks on the most part. People like Zola encapsulate why the 90's was great.

The game in general was better in my opinion. Players weren't paid the entirely obscene money they are now, like more for scoring a goal than My dad would get in a year. And they weren't totally unapproachable pricks on the most part. People like Zola encapsulate why the 90's was great.

aye, seemed to mean a lot more to the players back then. And players weren't sent off for raising their hands ffs

oh yes and i remember waiting for bananas after ww2 had ended as well.

stop acting like you're 70 ffs. there's been plenty of skilful players in the past 8 years, players were still paid huge sums back then and were just as arrogant as they are now. rose tinted nostalgic bullshit.

stop acting like you're 70 ffs. there's been plenty of skilful players in the past 8 years, players were still paid huge sums back then and were just as arrogant as they are now. rose tinted nostalgic bullshit.

:thup:

There was a canny article in FourFourTwo a while back that tried to assess what was the best decade for football taking into account a lot of factors and canvassing a lot of different folk involved with the game.

The 90s came out on top. Despite Man Utds dominance there was always the feeling that sides could get a good manager and squad and have a really good season (even if it was just one year). Newcastle and Forest had blinding first seasons in the Premier League and of course Blackburn went one better (on Jack Walkers cash albeit) and won the league. There wasnt the sense now that the top 4 are so far above and beyond the rest that the rest of the league is fighting over scraps. Nowadays, the league is just a bloated version of the SPL where everyone beneath the top 4 is fairly hit and miss and fans are becoming a bit bored of it. Everyone raved about how good Arsenals kids were on Tuesday but to me it was just yet another indicator of how far the rest of the sides are being left behind.

:clap: top post!

Guest Heneage

Is there any real need to get offensive? I don't see how it furthers your point in any other way than looking a bit of a twat.

In the 90's the term "Great" wasn't chucked around half as much as it is now, and when did I say there have been no skillful players since? Stop trying to be all big and clever, and read whats in-front of you and don't attempt to make connotations that were never implied.

And as for "Huge sums". A top player back then would get 40k say, yes an obscene amount of money, but if you looked, I said for scoring a goal, bonuses now are equivelant to what the likes of Shearer and Ferdinand got per week. My comment regarding Zola was the fact look at him he came to the premier league and he just tore up the rule book, he came into this league and was a true joy to watch goals like his one against Norwich to even try that sort of thing (yes I know it was post millennium) but still, his goal against Man Utd at Stamford bridge.

In my OPINION which it is something we are all entitled to, because at the end of the day the money didn't ruin it in my opinon, yes money was there I was never saying players got a shilling and six a week, but it wasn't at the point where everyone was clambering for a Middle eastern consortium to come in and spend 100 million every summer, just look at that figure 100 million, Alan Shearer England's best striker to date cost £15m, do you think you'd get his talent now for £15m these days? No you certainly wouldn't and I know that its inflation and that once upon a time Trevor Francis went for £1m but its all just esculated so quickly to the point of stupidity, you would never see a Newcastle of the 90's happen now. Hull are a close comparison but they are already faltering, but just imagine hypothetically Swansea, came up, with a striker who had previously played in League 1, who in his debut season was in the top couple of the scoring charts. There was more lee way for movement back then.

But seriously, don't be a prick and get all offensive its a Discussion forum after all.

Is there any real need to get offensive? I don't see how it furthers your point in any other way than looking a bit of a twat.

In the 90's the term "Great" wasn't chucked around half as much as it is now, and when did I say there have been no skillful players since? Stop trying to be all big and clever, and read whats in-front of you and don't attempt to make connotations that were never implied.

And as for "Huge sums". A top player back then would get 40k say, yes an obscene amount of money, but if you looked, I said for scoring a goal, bonuses now are equivelant to what the likes of Shearer and Ferdinand got per week. My comment regarding Zola was the fact look at him he came to the premier league and he just tore up the rule book, he came into this league and was a true joy to watch goals like his one against Norwich to even try that sort of thing (yes I know it was post millennium) but still, his goal against Man Utd at Stamford bridge.

In my OPINION which it is something we are all entitled to, because at the end of the day the money didn't ruin it in my opinon, yes money was there I was never saying players got a shilling and six a week, but it wasn't at the point where everyone was clambering for a Middle eastern consortium to come in and spend 100 million every summer, just look at that figure 100 million, Alan Shearer England's best striker to date cost £15m, do you think you'd get his talent now for £15m these days? No you certainly wouldn't and I know that its inflation and that once upon a time Trevor Francis went for £1m but its all just esculated so quickly to the point of stupidity, you would never see a Newcastle of the 90's happen now. Hull are a close comparison but they are already faltering, but just imagine hypothetically Swansea, came up, with a striker who had previously played in League 1, who in his debut season was in the top couple of the scoring charts. There was more lee way for movement back then.

But seriously, don't be a prick and get all offensive its a Discussion forum after all.

I wonder if you even saw the irony when you were posting that

For me (and again it may be an age thing) football in the 90's felt that bit more special.

There used to a buzz in the media when one of the top overseas players were linked with a move to England, and the magic said players produced just seemed to stand out.

Also the football on the Telly wasn't as polished (Americanised), remember Andy Gray with his subbuteo table? For me this added to the whole excitement.

It just feels too much like a business product now, but maybe thats because we have such access to 'news' from the internet 24 hours a day we hear more now about things which have always gone on.

Guest Saint Andy

we were miles better then though, at least when compared to the teams we were playing. I don't ever remember being concerned about getting relegated before (vs last few seasons).

For me (and again it may be an age thing) football in the 90's felt that bit more special.

There used to a buzz in the media when one of the top overseas players were linked with a move to England, and the magic said players produced just seemed to stand out.

Also the football on the Telly wasn't as polished (Americanised), remember Andy Gray with his subbuteo table? For me this added to the whole excitement.

It just feels too much like a business product now, but maybe thats because we have such access to 'news' from the internet 24 hours a day we hear more now about things which have always gone on.

It always seems like Sky actually used to be part of the excitement, now they just detract from it.

Guest Heneage

Is there any real need to get offensive? I don't see how it furthers your point in any other way than looking a bit of a t***.

I wonder if you even saw the irony when you were posting that

Quite a difference really.