When do you think Michael Owen will leave Newcastle United?

LoveItIfWeBeatU
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

January Transfer Window

He can talk to other clubs in January. Newcastle would get a fee for him if he left in January. Newcastle don't have to sell him unless they want to. Even if another club offers a fee acceptable to Newcastle Owen doesn't have to join them if he doesn't want to.

As a free agent in the Summer

He can leave in the Summer at the end of his contract. Newcastle won't get a penny for him. Owen will be able to go to whoever wants him. As he won't cost a transfer fee he will be in line to ask for bigger wages, signing on fee, etc. He could get an injury between February and the Summer that would but a move on hold.

He will sign a new contract

Newcastle could get taken over by ambitious new owners who sell their vision to him and he signs a new contract.

I say 'As a free agent in the Summer' when he has a free choice. Personally I'd rather keep him until then anyway. Any goals he may score for us may be more important than the money we'd get for him in January.

He will sign a new 8 year contract on a much smaller wage, lead us to league and European glory, break Shearer's goalscoring record, become our new manager and declare himself a naturalised Geordie.

Or he'll leave in the Summer. I can see him staying till the end of the season so he can make his mind up based on what changes we do or don't make, as well as all the more obvious things you've mentioned above.

Guest Saint Andy

I think he'll probably arrange to go in Jan, then make the move in the summer. I can't see any of the big teams wanting him though, maybe somewhere like man city / villa?

Guest shearer_206

I think he'll probably arrange to go in Jan, then make the move in the summer. I can't see any of the big teams wanting him though, maybe somewhere like man city / villa?

I don't think he will move.

I'm not sure, he hasn't proved his fitness to the extent that any big teams will want him. Man Utd have too many forwards, Chelsea have Anelka being reborn, I doubt Liverpool would have him back, and Arsenal don't entertain poachers.

If we stay up I'm starting to think he might stay for a while, can't see where else he could go.

I suppose he could negotiate a lucrative move to the Middle East or the US if he wasn't bothered about his career.

I suppose he could negotiate a lucrative move to the Middle East or the US if he wasn't bothered about his career.

He pretty much said he'd never go abroad again after he returned from Real Madrid.

He is an almost guaranteed starter with us when fit. If he went to Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal he'd probably be at best used on a squad rotation basis. Which will get him back into the England team? Occasional run outs in a top team or constant appearances for a middling team?

Like you say, I can't see any of the top four wanting him except as a 'cheap' luxury. I don't know if Owen would be happy to be a third choice striker.

Aston Villa, Tottenham and Man City are possibilities. He is also said to like it at Newcastle (except for our league position).

Guest rosstoon

No club other than Man city will match his currrent wages.  But Man City want bigger and better than him. He will not get in any of the top 4 teams so i see him staying with us. In the summer it may be a different matter with clubs not paying a fee but I cannot seea ny club touching him on his wages with his injusry record, which i believe is good for us

No club other than Man city will match his currrent wages.  But Man City want bigger and better than him. He will not get in any of the top 4 teams so i see him staying with us. In the summer it may be a different matter with clubs not paying a fee but I cannot seea ny club touching him on his wages with his injusry record, which i believe is good for us

what makes you think he has to have the wages he is on here ?

i'd be pretty sure he'd take a considerable cut to go to a top 4 club.

All depends on quite a few things really. How well we do, who owns the club, how much is there to be invested, who's the new boss etc.

Got a sneaky suspicion that if Shearer were to be made manager he'd sign for a couple of years. They get on well apparently and I think he'd sign for his mate.

Long, long way from that happening yet though. 

Man City want bigger & better players, but I'm not sure that Mark Hughes does considering the players they've been linked with so far.

Guest rosstoon

Man city will not settle for the Michael Owens of the world in his current state.  A Fit Michael Owen is as good as most but most know that his injury free days are past him. Man City knowing a few of their fans are saying that only the best will do the are talking about world class players in the Brazilian mould such as Kaka, Argies such as Messi. They want people lik Huntelaar, they are not worried about Owen and will start questioning the managers decisions if they bring him in.

Man city will not settle for the Michael Owens of the world in his current state.  A Fit Michael Owen is as good as most but most know that his injury free days are past him. Man City knowing a few of their fans are saying that only the best will do the are talking about world class players in the Brazilian mould such as Kaka, Argies such as Messi. They want people lik Huntelaar, they are not worried about Owen and will start questioning the managers decisions if they bring him in.

I agree that those are the sorts of players that Man City's owners probably want, but Mark Hughes seems to have other priorities.

Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz, Chelsea left-back Wayne Bridge and Portsmouth midfielder Lassana Diarra are top of Hughes' list of transfer targets. (Various)

But Wigan striker Emile Heskey, Stuttgart forward Mario Gomez, West Ham front man Craig Bellamy, Werder Bremen midfielder Torsten Frings and Blackburn left-back Stephen Warnock are also on Hughes' radar. (Daily Express)

I firmly believe the club will seek to ship him out during the January window. Why else is Dennis Wise still at the club? Scouting for new targets? Bollocks.

What does Dennis Wise being here have to do with it? They're employing someone solely to take care of the sale of Michael Owen?