Sunderland appoint Steve 'I bleed black and white' Bruce as new manager

cp40

He's spent a boatload to get the same results which is pretty dire tbh.

Problem with Sunderland is that there is no glamour playing for them. Unless you are a product of their youth academy, or a total one off like Quinn then you really only see them as a stepping stone and hope to get out of there ASAP. Half their players live in our city, shop, eat and go out on our doorstep, so really the only thing that actually gets them players to start off with is being so close to us as the likes of Bent simply wouldn't have come up here if he couldn't live in Newcastle.

We of course have had similar problems over the years and why we've thrown mental money at average players, but our draw is miles ahead of them when were in the same division. Same goes for Boro, and why they've relied on youth for so long, unfortunately the youth wasn't quite good enough and the big money signings didn't complement the team.

As for Bruce he's spent quite a bit, well over the odds on average players and is paying them a fortune. Bent the only decent big money signing so far, and like people say, one injury away from seeing Sunderland sucked right in to a relegation battle. I still think their good start will save them, pretty much like Hull last year, but its nice to think if we do get out of this division they won't be that far ahead, and a couple of well thought out signings could see us on par pretty much from the off. This season was vital for them to get ahead as much as they can, they've not taken that chance so far, though anything can happen.

Pretty much agree with all of that. The type of players that Bruce is buying will become unsettled very quickly at Sunderland. I don't think they'll get relegated but I don't think they are going anywhere fast either.

Guest johnson293

As much as I miss the Derby games, I'd love it if they got pulled into the **** and if we got promoted, and passed them on the way up.

Would be sweet irony for those 'funny' guys who changed/added the new road signs down there.

He's spent a boatload to get the same results which is pretty dire tbh.

Problem with Sunderland is that there is no glamour playing for them. Unless you are a product of their youth academy, or a total one off like Quinn then you really only see them as a stepping stone and hope to get out of there ASAP. Half their players live in our city, shop, eat and go out on our doorstep, so really the only thing that actually gets them players to start off with is being so close to us as the likes of Bent simply wouldn't have come up here if he couldn't live in Newcastle.

We of course have had similar problems over the years and why we've thrown mental money at average players, but our draw is miles ahead of them when were in the same division. Same goes for Boro, and why they've relied on youth for so long, unfortunately the youth wasn't quite good enough and the big money signings didn't complement the team.

As for Bruce he's spent quite a bit, well over the odds on average players and is paying them a fortune. Bent the only decent big money signing so far, and like people say, one injury away from seeing Sunderland sucked right in to a relegation battle. I still think their good start will save them, pretty much like Hull last year, but its nice to think if we do get out of this division they won't be that far ahead, and a couple of well thought out signings could see us on par pretty much from the off. This season was vital for them to get ahead as much as they can, they've not taken that chance so far, though anything can happen.

Pretty much agree with all of that. The type of players that Bruce is buying will become unsettled very quickly at Sunderland. I don't think they'll get relegated but I don't think they are going anywhere fast either.

They will end up in the same position as us if they are not careful. Over paying players just to get them there and those players not putting the effort in as the club is beneath them. They won't even have the crowds and glamour nights in Europe to keep it going for too long. Bruce seems to be buying for buyings sake, either that or he's made errors already and trying to cover them up. Kilgallon seems a waste of a transfer to me, yet they are also chasing Kaboul, he seems a bit defender happy atm, so im guessing the fortunes the club has spent on Ferdinand and Turner has been a mistake (one by him).

Even our last two signings make sense for a change, pacey right winger and tall centreback, almost too much sense for this club. Both English, both on the relative cheap and not commanding massive wages. Ok they might not set the world alight if we return to the prem, but these are the types of players build squads and what we've never really had is a big competitive squad as in the past we have been far too concerned with trophy signings like Owen and putting all our eggs in a widely known crocked basket.

Guest johnson293

Much like the fake bidder/buyer for Newcastle they came up with and thought was so funny, some stories should be leaked to the local media linking Liverpool with a loan move for Bent.

If Jones was as easily distracted over it, maybe Bent will be too!!!

Distracted enough to knock him off his game for a week or two, anyway!

Mackems are looking a sorry shower at the minute. Bruce has an eye for a player but I still haven't seen that much evidence that he can put a side together, or manage his players for a sustained period of time.

He always seems to start off well but then can sustain it. It must be something to do with this managerial style perhaps it just wears thin after a while. Love to see him finish off the job and relegate those bastards :)