Handing in my notice at work...

Guest Nufc4Life

Guest Nufc4Life

Right lads, am handing in my notice on Monday.

I get paid monthly so will need to work a months notice.

What im confused about at the moment, is this. Is it a month from Monday? So from the 17th November, which will mean i'd have worked 4 weeks and my last day will be on Friday December 12th? Or will they do it from last Friday, so my last day will be the 19th December? Just wrote my notice oot now, have said my last working day will be on December 12th, but i've never handed a notice in before and don't really understand!

I assume a few people on here must have wrote a notice or two in their time!

EDIT - Meant to say whats the best thing to put in these things to.

Letter, typed up and signed. 'To whom it may concern', yadda yadda yadda... (Pretty much what SpinS wrote, but a bit more eloquent  :lol:)

Most places will be understanding enough when it comes to notice. It all depends how well you got on with your managers, how long you've been there, etc. I'd imagine 1 month would be the longest you would be expected to serve, but some places are arseholes about it. And, it all depends on when your payroll is done. Your best bet would be to speak to HR or personnel department (if there is one), they'll keep you right...

What im confused about at the moment, is this. Is it a month from Monday? So from the 17th November, which will mean i'd have worked 4 weeks and my last day will be on Friday December 12th? Or will they do it from last Friday, so my last day will be the 19th December? Just wrote my notice oot now, have said my last working day will be on December 12th, but i've never handed a notice in before and don't really understand!

When I've handed in my notice at the beginning of the month I've finished on the last Friday of the month.  When I've done it in the middle of a month I've worked 4 weeks, handed it in on a Monday and finished on a Friday.

As for content, just put in the letter that in line with your contractual agreement you are giving them notice that you will be terminating your contract with them and will be leaving on Friday 14th December 2008.  You could thank them for helping you while you worked for them and tell them that the decision was a hard one, even if it wasn’t.  Just remember when working your notice period, don’t be tempted to burn any bridges.  You never know what the future holds so always leave on good terms if possible.

How does your holiday entitlement work. Is it Jan to December ?

If you have some untaken holidays days left that will also get taken into consideration when calculating your last official day

a) entirely dependant how your workplace works out holidays. our place has a holiday calendar beginning april 1st.

b) should get said days, either in pay, or be forced 2 take them before ur leaving date.

Guest Nufc4Life

Thanks for advice and all that!

Not a great time to be leaving a job really is it?

Unless you've got another lined up, obviously.

Oh aye, start my new job at start of january like so it's all good.

How does your holiday entitlement work. Is it Jan to December ?

If you have some untaken holidays days left that will also get taken into consideration when calculating your last official day

I believe i've got a weeks holiday left, 5 days i believe. I assume they'll pay me for this..well i assume they have to, but i dont know if like, i can just work 3 weeks notice and have them 5 days as my 4th week like, depends how they feel i guess.

I believe i've got a weeks holiday left, 5 days i believe. I assume they'll pay me for this..well i assume they have to, but i dont know if like, i can just work 3 weeks notice and have them 5 days as my 4th week like, depends how they feel i guess.

You assume right about the holidays, that will be paid or taken.

DON'T put in anything about the company ("you tossers"), people or where you are going other than "to take a job/position elsewhere"

Mots places date it from the day you hand in the notice but they won't insist on every damn day - you normally negotiate it with your boss and/or Inhuman Resources to suit both sides.  They then do the calculations...............

Just had a look in my employement law books for ya.

Your contract should tell you exactly how much notice is required.  If it doesn't, or you don't have a contract, then the only thing the law mentions about notice periods is that if you've worked there for a month or more you have to give 1 weeks notice.  Even if you'd worked there 10years, if there's nothing in your contract stating otherwise then 1 week is all you need to give.  Getting paid monthly doesn't mean you have to give a month's notice.

I resigned about 2 months ago after being there for 9 years.  My contract stated I had to give 1 week's notice for every year I'd been there unless my manager was able to give me an earlier date.  As the work was quiet at the time I was able to work a month's notice instead of 9 weeks.

The notice period starts from when your employer became aware of your notice to resign, i.e. when you hand it in tomorrow.  Theefore, they wouldn't count from last Friday as they didn't know about it then.  If you're handing it in tomorrow (and you want to work a month's notice) I would give it 4 calendar weeks counting tomorrow as day 1.  Your last day would be Sunday 14th Nov (even if you don't work on a Sunday).  If you're wanting to leave earlier though, and you can reach agreement with your boss, you can leave at any time before even the 1 week notice period is up.

Best of luck!