Standing still?

Guest Heneage

Guest Heneage

I've seen one or two mention it, and watching few games now on TV and obviously oday, do we really suffer from a lack of movement?

Players seem to just stand and the only time we really seem to play fluent pass and move is when we are already 2-0 up surely professional footballers are able to grasp the simplest concept in football? I look at players like Duff especially he regularly stands waiting for it.

Guest Heneage

Yeah I would agree. You watch them and I dunno if its lazyness or poor mental attributes, but watching Chelsea now, as good as the players are, by in large they are just playing pass and move thats whats winning the game, even West Brom can do it.

Our problem has been getting numbers into the box in the past, and it's still a problem.

When Owen's on, he just knows how to make those runs. He's always in the right position at the right time, the sign of a great striker.

Martins doesn't quite have the tactical ability yet, and he tends to run around like a bit of a headless chicken, would probably make for a good partnership though, Martins drawing the defenders away opening up the space for Owen.

Duff doesn't stand still, he just takes one step forward and two steps back. It was noticeable that when Zog came on, for all his faults he played two killer forward passes and we got a goal from one of them. Every one of Duff's clever passes is usually backwards.

Confidence. Thats all it is imo.

If you have confidence then you wont be scared to make a gamble. i.e switching the play or putting one over the top for your ongoing winger. Just an example.

Our players just dont look hungry for the ball. Chelsea are a great example of people showing for the ball. Of course, having the likes of Lampard, Deco, Anelka and Malouda in your team helps, but they all have confidence in themselves and eachother.

We dont have any particular playmaker or creative central midfielders. That doesnt help as well.

Owen, Martins and Jonas are the only real players we have that move off the ball well. Bartons not bad either.

Chelsea's team is incredible. At some point it just comes down to the quality of the players. Lampard, Deco, Mikel, Essien, and Ballack does things that are midfielders could only dream of and do it with ridiculous ease. Seriously, just watch the interplay between the midfield three against these "physical, strong" English sides. They barely break a sweat. Playing pass and move football is one thing, but having the ability and the talent to make it successful is a totally different prospect.

That quote from Fergie (I think) sums it up for me. The one where he says having courage in football is to express yourself with or without the ball in an attacking sense rather than throwing yourself into challenges left right and centre.

Confidence. Thats all it is imo.

If you have confidence then you wont be scared to make a gamble. i.e switching the play or putting one over the top for your ongoing winger. Just an example.

Our players just dont look hungry for the ball. Chelsea are a great example of people showing for the ball. Of course, having the likes of Lampard, Deco, Anelka and Malouda in your team helps, but they all have confidence in themselves and eachother.

We dont have any particular playmaker or creative central midfielders. That doesnt help as well.

Owen, Martins and Jonas are the only real players we have that move off the ball well. Bartons not bad either.

Guest black n white

Father Ted Crilly's five-a-side team has more movement than us at times.

ah go on ye silly fecka .... nicky butt is the problem he's unfortunately past it was'nt

good enough for manu 4yrs ago got relegated with the brummies :yikes:

respect foe the lad Butt howay man