Chelsea vs Newcastle United - 22/11/08 - pre-match thread

Dave

I would play all the biggest wage earners in this match so they can showcase exactly why they are worth it.

Which of are biggest wage earners won't be playing? Geremi? Viduka? Smith? I'd rather not pay to say Viduka and Smith limp around, though I'd prefer Geremi to start over Butt anyway.

I'm going to be moving my 1 bedroom apartment into a rented truck that I'm fairly sure will be too small in the freezing cold and possible snow on Saturday morning and then driving 12 and a half hours.  But it just might end up being a more pleasant experience than this match. 

1-1 ht, 4-1 Chelsea ft. 

Just been reading some things JK had to say on .cock

Sounds like N'Zogbia might be in line for a start, and he's tinkering with the idea of playing Owen, Martins & Ameobi.

Bet it'll be Zogbia and Duff on the wings with Gutierrez on the bench...

I would play all the biggest wage earners in this match so they can showcase exactly why they are worth it.

Which of are biggest wage earners won't be playing? Geremi? Viduka? Smith? I'd rather not pay to say Viduka and Smith limp around, though I'd prefer Geremi to start over Butt anyway.

It's actually quite comical that those three you mentioned could be amongst our biggest wage earners. Then we wonder why we are struggling.

It's actually quite comical that those three you mentioned could be amongst our biggest wage earners. Then we wonder why we are struggling.

Still, Geremi and Viduka have done ten times more for this club than Duff (who is our 2nd highest earner I think).

I agree with this. Instead of blaming Keegan/Ashley/Wise/The wrath of God, we should look to our incredibly wasteful and inefficent habit of signing out of favor players from bigger clubs, and putting them on long contract with astronomical wages. This started with Shepard and continued into Allardyce's first window.

Who do you all think should be our highest earners by the way. I'm guessing, Owen, Martins, Barton, and Jonas.

I think:

1.Owen

2.Duff/Viduka

3.Barton/Smith/Coloccini

Martins will probably move up  with Duff/Viduka when he signs a new contract.

Who do you all think should be our highest earners by the way. I'm guessing, Owen, Martins, Barton, and Jonas.

I think:

1.Owen

2.Duff/Viduka

3.Barton/Smith/Coloccini

Martins will probably move up with Duff/Viduka when he signs a new contract.

I meant who would be our highest earners...if we weren't paying bit part players and cripples incredibly inflated wages.

Like a perfect world.

I'll inject a bit of optimism here . Well Try , here goes.

Firstly some key players are missing for Chelsea:

Definitely out : A cole, Beletti, Carvalho, Alex, Essien, Drogba

Possibly Out: Lampard, J Cole, P Cech, Ballack

Played 90 minutes of international football: Terry, Bridge, Kalou, Anelka (45 Mins) Ferreira,Bosingwa, Deco(65 mins), (Portuguese players confidence low after getting trounced 6-2 off Brazil) Ivanovic (45 mins)

Chelsea's International players will not feel at the full capacity with these mid-week fixtures.

Last three results at Stamford Bridge we have only been beating by 1 goal!

Have Faith.

Btw 5/1 for a Draw. Well worth a risk  :colo:

I agree with this. Instead of blaming Keegan/Ashley/Wise/The wrath of God, we should look to our incredibly wasteful and inefficent habit of signing out of favor players from bigger clubs, and putting them on long contract with astronomical wages. This started with Shepard and continued into Allardyce's first window.

Agreed, apart from the depiction of Chelsea as a bigger club when in fact all they are is a smaller club with a sugar daddy :)

I think:

1.Owen

2.Duff/Viduka

3.Barton/Smith/Coloccini

Martins will probably move up  with Duff/Viduka when he signs a new contract.

I meant who would be our highest earners...if we weren't paying bit part players and cripples incredibly inflated wages.

Like a perfect world.

Oh.. in that case Given and Owen.

Just been reading some things JK had to say on .cock

Sounds like N'Zogbia might be in line for a start, and he's tinkering with the idea of playing Owen, Martins & Ameobi.

Bet it'll be Zogbia and Duff on the wings with Gutierrez on the bench...

Zog at LB, nailed on.

Guest battyleespeed

Given

Beye      Taylor (Bassong)     Coloccini       Enrique

Geremi      Guthrie                Butt            N'Zogbia

Jonas

Ameobi

-------------------

Geremi shutting down the right flank and providing the option for early cross in the box

Jonas for driving runs from our half thus helping us to bring the play forward rather than always lumping it route one

N'Zogbia same as Jonas but giving us some width down the left (for f*** sake don't play him as a left back)

Butt, Guthrie and Jonas for shutting down the middle and doing all the hard work...

No point in "clogging the midfield". Teams have been doing that to Chelsea since Mourinho arrived. I guarante that Lampard, Deco, Mikel and Ballack will walk right through the center midfield you put out anyway.

Also, if Ameobi starts with Oba and Owen both fit on the bench, then I'm not watching the f***** match.

Guest battyleespeed

Whatever formation with just two central midfielders will get run over even worse. If you have four midfielders plus wingers you just can't walk through that no matter how good you are. Butt is always great deal more effective when he has enough bodies around him and not needing to be plugging holes everywhere. It's tempting to put Martins out there because he can fashion goal out of nowhere but I don't think that in this game he's going to get enough support to be effective and is bound to get frustrated. Maybe better option to come off the bench when the defenders are getting tired or if we are chasing the game. At least Ameobi can unsettle defenders with his size alone and to be honest he's been in decent form recently. The team needs some kind of focal point for attack and both Martins and Owen can't provide that...

I'll inject a bit of optimism here . Well Try , here goes.

Firstly some key players are missing for Chelsea:

Definitely out : A cole, Beletti, Carvalho, Alex, Essien, Drogba

Possibly Out: Lampard, J Cole, P Cech, Ballack

Played 90 minutes of international football: Terry, Bridge, Kalou, Anelka (45 Mins) Ferreira,Bosingwa, Deco(65 mins), (Portuguese players confidence low after getting trounced 6-2 off Brazil) Ivanovic (45 mins)

Chelsea's International players will not feel at the full capacity with these mid-week fixtures.

Last three results at Stamford Bridge we have only been beating by 1 goal!

Have Faith.

Btw 5/1 for a Draw. Well worth a risk  :colo:

Nice try!!! Have to say if Lampard is out that will be a big boost for us... we might keep it down to just 1 goal again this year!!

Guest Darth Toon

0-0

Might actually throw a bit of cash away on this.

I can confidently predict you've got at least half that scoreline correct - don't think they'll pay out for that though!

Really cant wait for this tomorrow. Yeah so we'll probably get beat but so do most teams off Chelsea. Looking forward to a good drink and a fair few laughs.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH Who's up Mary Brown?

Who's up Mary Brown?

TOMMY DOCHERTY!

TOMMY DOCHERTY!

He's up Mary Brown!