Bilic Keen to Manage In England

Guest Saint Andy

Guest Saint Andy

From SSN:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4511401,00.html

Bilic plans to coach in England

Croatia manager reveals 'several offers'

By James Dall   Last updated: 17th November 2008

Croatia boss Slaven Bilic has confirmed his intention to manage in the Premier League.

Bilic has been linked with a number of England's top-flight clubs in the past, including his former side West Ham United.

Manchester City were also reportedly interested in acquiring his services but Bilic penned a new two-year deal with Croatia in April, taking him through to the 2010 World Cup.

The former Hammers and Everton defender is currently overseeing Croatia's World Cup qualifying campaign but revealed he has received 'several offers' from sides keen to land him as manager.

"I would certainly be disappointed if I didn't become a coach of an England club, as I am a huge fan of English football," Bilic said in an interview with the Vjesnik daily published on Monday.

"I still have several offers but I can't tell right now whether any of them will be realised.

"It is true that my goal is to coach a team competing in the best European leagues and England is my preference."

Hasn't been linked to us directly. What do you think?

Guest guinness_fiend

He would not touch us with a barge pole.  In fact, no manager in their mind will come anywhere near us unless until such time as we get our house in order, so to speak.  It makes for a nice fantasy though..

Im gonna get slated for this, but i dont think he'd be a great club manager. I think his stature resonates alot with the croatian players (who happen to be the most gifted set of croats we've seen for about 10-12 years) and they respond well to that passion and authority. I'd rather have Shearer as nufc manager than Bilic for the exact same reasons that Bilic is a success for Croatia.

(I still dont think Shearer will be a great club manager)

tin hat time.

He would not touch us with a barge pole.  In fact, no manager in their mind will come anywhere near us unless until such time as we get our house in order, so to speak.  It makes for a nice fantasy though..

If the club is sold and new owners offer him the job with a decent budget he'd take the job like a shot IMO. Passionate guy who would appreciate managing a passionate club. It won't happen though, if the club is sold the new owners will go for Shearer I reckon.

Guest guinness_fiend

If the club is sold and new owners offer him the job with a decent budget he'd take the job like a shot IMO. Passionate guy who would appreciate managing a passionate club. It won't happen though, if the club is sold the new owners will go for Shearer I reckon.

Therein lies the problem.  I do agree with Fredbob though to some extent, in that Bilic's style of management may resonant with Croatian nationals and may not necessarily translate well to the Premiership, as well as the comparison with Shearer.

Personally, I would go for a manager that has experience in club football before taking a punt on a national coach.  Scolari in the exception in that he is dealing with some of the best footballers in the world (Chelsea could arguably hammmer most national teams).  I do not want us to start taking risks until such time as we have steadied the ship!

Guest Saint Andy

But do you think Shearer is ready to manage? He's more likely to wait for a year or two.

Comparing Bilic and Shearer is like comparing Einstein to a monkey.

You read any interview with Bilic and he comes across as lucid, thoughtful, independent. Contract that with Shearer's insipid contributions to Match of the Day.

The only skill Shearer's ever shown off the football pitch is seamlessly slipping into various old-boys networks.

Comparing Bilic and Shearer is like comparing Einstein to a monkey.

You read any interview with Bilic and he comes across as lucid, thoughtful, independent. Contract that with Shearer's insipid contributions to Match of the Day.

The only skill Shearer's ever shown off the football pitch is seamlessly slipping into various old-boys networks.

:lol:

But do you think Shearer is ready to manage? He's more likely to wait for a year or two.

No idea, but I have a hunch he will be asked to give it a go. Shearer certainly gave the impression he wanted the job when it was given to Keegan, I don't see why it would be any different now.

Guest Jawesome

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

The only time I've ever not been sad when London lost was when Croatia beat them at Wembley.  I was pleased for Bilic more than I was disappointed at them missing out on getting into the Euro's.  He's an absolute hero.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

The only time I've ever not been sad when London lost was when Croatia beat them at Wembley.  I was pleased for Bilic more than I was disappointed at them missing out on getting into the Euro's.  He's an absolute hero.

you mean England?  :lol:

If the club is sold and new owners offer him the job with a decent budget and a big wage he'd take the job like a shot IMO.

As would many, many managers. Amended it slightly, btw.

Know very little about Bilic as a coach personally. In spite of his success though, i can imagine coaching Croatia is a very, very different proposition to managing an English club. But he knows English football, i guess. Not ripping into him or owt, just saying.

Although I rate Bilic in terms of what he's done internationally, I'm not sure he'd be cut out for week-in-week-out intensity that he'd have to face in the PL.

Besides, I think Mr Bilic should perhaps think about focussing on his job rather than periodically "stating his intention" about his future career paths. He isn't good enough to just walk in anywhere.