Sports Direct vs JJB

Ash

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4510117,00.html

Wigan Athletic owner Dave Whelan has accused Mike Ashley of being 'greedy' as he reportedly holds out for a buyer who will pay £250million for Newcastle United.

Ashley, who took over on Tyneside in July 2007, is seeking a sale following the backlash from supporters after former boss Kevin Keegan's departure in September.

Investment bank Seymour Pierce has been tasked with selling the club and Whelan has claimed his Magpies counterpart is being unrealistic over his asking price and underestimated the task of being at the St James' Park helm.

He told The Times: "If Mike Ashley will sell it for the right money, he will sell it next week.

"Now, is he being greedy? Yes."

He continued: "I don't think he has thought things through and I don't think he really appreciated just how passionate people are up there about their football.

"It is very difficult for someone who is not a Geordie to run that football club and I said to Mike Ashley: 'You are better off just getting your money back and stepping away.'

"You can't sack Kevin Keegan and expect the fans to get behind you.

"He will never be able to repair the damage between himself and the fans. Do that and you are down the pan.

"I told him, 'You're gone."'

Interim manager Joe Kinnear is currently in charge of Newcastle although rumours have linked Wigan manager Steve Bruce with a return to his native North East.

Whelan, though, has refuted the claims, adding: "He won't come here and work with Mike Ashley.

"Steve wants to work with a chairman who understands the game and does not expect too much, too soon.

"There is no chance he would go near a football club if it is not run the way he thinks it should be."

Let the battle commence...

"You can't sack Kevin Keegan and expect the fans to get behind you."

erm...

He should have really said that you can't make Kevin Keegan's postion untenable and expect the fans to get behind you.

"You can't sack Kevin Keegan and expect the fans to get behind you."

erm...

He should have really said that you can't make Kevin Keegan's postion untenable and expect the fans to get behind you.

He probably doesn't want to say that before finding out what really happened ;)

If the manager feels he can't do his job, then his position in my eyes becomes untenable. ;)

How come I can hate a man I've barely seen, who's chairman of a nothing football club? Somehow I've managed it!

He always seems to open his mouth when it isn't needed. His comments about Steve Bruce the other month were hilarious too. :lol: