Here we go again - No Upson

Skirge

And its starts, the media link us with a player and Roeder says no we are not interested.

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder has denied an interest in Birmingham City defender Matthew Upson.

The Magpies boss is eager to bolster his defensive options in January, having missed out on targets Jonathan Woodgate and Robert Huth in the summer, and he has been linked with a number of centre halves in recent weeks.

Upson, even though he is still on the comeback trail following an Achilles injury, was linked recently, but he would not appear to be on Roeder's New Year shopping list.

"Matthew Upson is not a player we are interested in," Roeder told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

Roeder's striking options are also thin on the ground, with Obafemi Martins set to be sidelined for a fortnight with a hamstring injury, and he admits he will have to soldier on until January.

"There are no superstars waiting around the corner to come in and help us," added Roeder. "If players are out of contract and have not been snapped up by some club, there is obviously a reason for this."

"There are no superstars waiting around the corner to come in and help us," added Roeder. "If players are out of contract and have not been snapped up by some club, there is obviously a reason for this."

Yeah, just like Sol Campbell was out of contract until Portsmouth snapped him up.

Guest Gemmill

The bloke goes down in my estimation by the day.

How can he get any lower ? He is a completely useless tosser

He built up a lot of goodwill last season, which was wiped out completely by the transfer window debacle.  I'm now getting to a point where I'm actually starting to dislike him, which is a shame as I think he's a decent bloke.

Guest BigTrev

have to say im glad, i think upson is very very average, better than what we have like, but he would cost a canny bit i reckon

he is out of contract in the summer so should not be that much and would be ok as a second defender

have to say im glad, i think upson is very very average, better than what we have like, but he would cost a canny bit i reckon

he is out of contract in the summer so should not be that much and would be ok as a second defender

well if we could get him in cheap then that wouldnt be so bad

Guest Armchair Pundit

Denying ever rumour of us getting defenders in also gets us to the end of the transfer window in January without signing anyone, Fat Freddy bemoaning the fact that transfer windows are in place and transfers are a hard job to do... oh, and saves the fat prick having to spend any money before we get relegated.

Guest Gemmill

We don't need defenders man, we need forwards.

Defence is not a problem, our lack of goals is the problem.

The only area that isn't a problem is in midfield tbh.  We are woefully short on both quality and quantity in both defence and attack.  Both areas need urgently addressing.

We don't need defenders man, we need forwards.

Defence is not a problem, our lack of goals is the problem.

bluebigeek.gif bluebigeek.gif bluebigeek.gif

both are massive problems. 

Disagree, we've not conceded shedloads of goals, we've lost games by the odd goal.

Its our inability to score goals that has us at the wrong end of the table and finding someone as soon as the transfer window opens who can go straight in the team and score goals is our number 1 priority, along with at least 1 other squad player who can also chip in when required.

Yeah, just like Sol Campbell was out of contract until Portsmouth snapped him up.

Which explains why he went for Bernard & Srnicek....

We don't need any new players, we have good team for Championship next season.

Harper

Ramage

Bernard

Bramble

Huntington

Stone

O'Brien

Pattison

Clark

Ameobi

Huckerby

Bring it on!

Still a bit worried about that back 4..... bluebiggrin.gif

We don't need any new players, we have good team for Championship next season.

Harper

Ramage

Bernard

Bramble

Huntington

Stone

O'Brien

Pattison

Clark

Ameobi

Huckerby

Bring it on!