Guardian: Shearer clears way to become Newcastle manager

thewellander

thanks but no thanks.

experience is required.

That local lad  with little experience is doing okay at is hometown club Barcalona

Thats true, but at least he'd been involved in the background at the academy for a while now. I'd say SG has a fair bit more experience than big al.

He managed the reserves for one year, I dont think he worked at La Masia or worked with the youth sides.

Really? I thought he was the one responsible for looking after Bojan, Dos Santos and the other bairns. Could be wrong mind. Still though, one year more experience than AS, as he's been around the club on a daily basis.

Not arguing against Shearer though by the way. I'm just being a knob jockeying pedant  :razz:

Guest Jawesome

Shearer has to be worried at our current situation, maybe he just wants to help out in some way.  I don't blame anyone for wanting to manage us.  Like whats been said countless times to the fuckwits who didn't want Avram Grant 'because he didn't win the league with Chelsea,'  we are not in a position to pick from the best 10 managers in the world.  If it's going to be someone like Steve Bruce or someone on that level that gets it, then I'd probably sooner see Shearer get it tbh.

ok. i was one of those fuckwits. what some of you (of the non-fuckwit type) don't get is that Avram Grant WAS and IS a no-mark manager. He got the job to steady the ship and as a stop-gap until Scolari could move. Chelsea finishing 2nd was seen as a FAILURE after spending all that cash. It's not like Grant dragged them from 10th at xmas to finish 2nd. All he had to do was keep them ticking over.

Besides, a managerial appointment is a little more complex than saying: "right, this bloke finished 2nd with a star studded chelsea side, let's get him in". There have to be other qualities about the manager, and Grant possesses NONE.

Don't be emo about it.  He's a decent manager, and that's all we can attract at the minute.

thanks but no thanks.

experience is required.

That local lad  with little experience is doing okay at is hometown club Barcalona

Thats true, but at least he'd been involved in the background at the academy for a while now. I'd say SG has a fair bit more experience than big al.

He managed the reserves for one year, I dont think he worked at La Masia or worked with the youth sides.

Really? I thought he was the one responsible for looking after Bojan, Dos Santos and the other bairns. Could be wrong mind. Still though, one year more experience than AS, as he's been around the club on a daily basis.

Not arguing against Shearer though by the way. I'm just being a knob jockeying pedan:razz:

:lol: O0

Guest Heneage

thanks but no thanks.

experience is required.

Do you not mean JG?

Anyhew, this was denied rather sharp, makes you wonder if Ashleys even trying to sell.

I think that Shearer has been sounded out by one of the groups attempting to buy the club and this is his way of letting Ashley know he's willing to take the job. It puts pressure on Ashley to either do the deal or consider Shearer as an option if it fall through.

Of course Ashley might be in on all this, he has to deny all knowledge while JFK's still in charge.

That's my wild speculation in any case  :pow:

Shearer has to be worried at our current situation, maybe he just wants to help out in some way.  I don't blame anyone for wanting to manage us.  Like whats been said countless times to the fuckwits who didn't want Avram Grant 'because he didn't win the league with Chelsea,'  we are not in a position to pick from the best 10 managers in the world.  If it's going to be someone like Steve Bruce or someone on that level that gets it, then I'd probably sooner see Shearer get it tbh.

ok. i was one of those fuckwits. what some of you (of the non-fuckwit type) don't get is that Avram Grant WAS and IS a no-mark manager. He got the job to steady the ship and as a stop-gap until Scolari could move. Chelsea finishing 2nd was seen as a FAILURE after spending all that cash. It's not like Grant dragged them from 10th at xmas to finish 2nd. All he had to do was keep them ticking over.

Besides, a managerial appointment is a little more complex than saying: "right, this bloke finished 2nd with a star studded chelsea side, let's get him in". There have to be other qualities about the manager, and Grant possesses NONE.

Don't be emo about it.  He's a decent manager, and that's all we can attract at the minute.

Right, and my point is, if we're going with "decent", I'd have Steve Bruce over Grant any day of the week. In fact Grant wouldn't even make my top 10 list of choices

I'd take Shearer simply to get that useless irish c*** out of the seat. And he seems to be aware that the likes of Taylor and Butt aren't good enough

I absolutely guarantee Shearer is exactly the sort of manager that would base his entire team around Butt. There still seems to be too much of an 'old boys club' mentality with some of these ex-players.

Ashley isn't daft and probably knows for a fact that we're going nowhere but down if Kinnear remains in charge, and that way he's never going to sell the club. Putting Shearer in charge would change the appeal of the club ten-fold and probably push us up the table for a bit; even if it was just for the inevitable manager honeymoon period (which would no doubt be enhanced simply because it's Shearer). On second thoughts i guess i can see this happening. Wish i was more excited about i n'all.

The amount of spin put on these quotes is unreal...this is not Alan Shearer declaring to the world he wants to takeover Newcastle United.  Graham Foster of G.R.A.S.S ask's questions to x-Newcastle players in The Mag every month this month it was Rob Lee. If it was this major news the Daily's or Sundays papers would of ran the story before Tuesday.

I quoted what Rob said on Saturday in http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php?topic=57690.msg1568777#msg1568777 maybe I should of jazzed it up a bit like Louise did.

I'd take Shearer simply to get that useless irish c*** out of the seat. And he seems to be aware that the likes of Taylor and Butt aren't good enough

I absolutely guarantee Shearer is exactly the sort of manager that would base his entire team around Butt. There still seems to be too much of an 'old boys club' mentality with some of these ex-players.

That would have been how I would see it usually, but if Shearer ever became manager, it would be his reputation on the line, and you can't compete with top clubs by persisting with over the hill cloggers like Butt. I would imagine Shearer's ruthless enough to make tough decisions if only for his own sake.

thanks but no thanks.

experience is required.

Do you not mean JG?

Anyhew, this was denied rather sharp, makes you wonder if Ashleys even trying to sell.

SG/JG = same thing  :coolsmiley:

The only way that Owen would stay past next this season is Shearer become manager.

Neither is very likely imo.

Would be nice brining Lee back in the fold, but reckon Gary Speed when he retires would make a good assistant manager or even doing a big job himself.

I can't see that Ashley would want to work with Shearer. He passed him over in January, and Shearer came out in support of Keegan at the time of the walk-out. Besides, Ashley will feel that he's already been shafted by appointing a 'fan's favourite' who then tries to use his popularity against him.

I can't see that Ashley would want to work with Shearer. He passed him over in January, and Shearer came out in support of Keegan at the time of the walk-out. Besides, Ashley will feel that he's already been shafted by appointing a 'fan's favourite' who then tries to use his popularity against him.

When Rob Lee was answering that question he said Shearer would want to do the job with no interference & I doubt Ashley unlike Levey would be willing to go back to a more traditional format.

Funny you mention popularity as MA was the daddy during his honeymoon period but I guess there is always someone somewhere who is more popular than you.

Just grabbed this so squabble away    Imho Shearer would be ideal for us and anyone who says no managerial experience may i just type Kevin Keegan.

Shearer feels he's ready for top job

Nov 18 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

Alan Shearer

ALAN Shearer has indicated he is ready to take the manager’s job at Newcastle United if it is offered to him by the club’s new owners as he prepares to bid farewell to the comfort of the television studio.

Shearer has always maintained he would not consider working for the club’s present owner Mike Ashley following the way his former boss and friend Kevin Keegan was forced out by the two-tiered management structure which took the signing of players out of his sphere of influence.

But the former United captain (pictured right) would be happy to talk to the people who eventually replace Ashley’s regime at St James’s Park after indicating to friends he is ready to take up the challenge of management.

However, Shearer will undoubtedly have some stiff competition for the job, with Newcastle’s interim manager Joe Kinnear also interested in taking the job on a permanent basis, even though he admitted last weekend that the 2-2 draw against Wigan could have been his last home game before a takeover is completed.

Although Shearer has not had any direct contact with the two American consortiums who have expressed an interest in taking over the club, both are aware of his standing on Tyneside and would almost certainly have him on their managerial shortlist.

Shearer has always played his cards close to his chest when it comes to his future career plans, but having spent the last two years working as a pundit for the BBC he feels the time

could be right for him to return to day-to-day involvement in the game.

Indeed, those close to the club’s record goalscorer have suggested he may well have taken the manager’s job had it been offered to him in January when the Magpies sacked Sam Allardyce and appointed Keegan. However, while Shearer would give any offer serious consideration, he will also want assurances he will be able to manage the club in the strictest sense of the word.

Like his former foe, Roy Keane, Shearer wants to be able to guide the team without interference from the boardroom and he will want to make sure the new owners understand that before he agrees to take the job.

While he has taken a break from the game to work in television and on various charity initiatives, Shearer has also seen contemporaries like Keane, Gareth Southgate, Paul Ince and Tony Adams take their first steps as Premier League managers.

Although the 38-year-old has no managerial experience – unlike another Geordie candidate Steve Bruce who was unsubtle in his attempt to put his name forward for the job following Wigan’s 2-2 draw at St James’s Park last weekend – he is still worshipped on Tyneside and would arguably be given more time than anyone other than Keegan to build something special.

Like Keane, his reputation as a player would also stand him in good stead when it comes to attracting big name players, while he is the sort of internationally-renowned marquee name which would appeal to foreign owners who want to raise the club’s profile in the lucrative overseas market.

Why would Ashley appoint Shearer? Isn't it that kind of thing that got him into bother in the first place?

Because if he stays he will have to appease the mob, which is a sad reason to appoint a manager.

Why would Ashley appoint Shearer? Isn't it that kind of thing that got him into bother in the first place?

Because if he stays he will have to appease the mob, which is a sad reason to appoint a manager.

He'll never have my support.

I'm sure Shearer is a whole lot more reasonable and even sensible than Keegan also. I doubt he would have walked under the same circumstances.

I think Shearer has it in him to be a great manager, but it's the buying of players that worries me. I worry about his knowledge regarding this area and ultimately the sorts of players he would go after.

You only have to look at the types Keane has been bringing in for Sunderland.