Guardian: Shearer clears way to become Newcastle manager

thewellander

Kevin Keegan has done wonders for this club and it just depresses me to seem him slagged off on a more and more regular basis. I think it's pretty pathetic how people have turned so quickly against someone who had a huge hand in making NUFC what it is today.

At this point in time I don't know exactly what went on so the man remains one of my heroes.

A sad fact as well Dave is that if it wasn't for Keegan in some way, a lot of the nimrods on here wouldn't even support Newcastle United.

If Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End hadnt of merged there wouldnt be a Newcastle United no one would support them, who cares?

Ignorant as f***.

Its not ignorance. Everyone knows what Keegan has done for this club in his 1st spell as manager here, everyone knows he played a huge part in making the club as big as it is today and yes that plays a part in people outside of Newcastle currently supporting them, but what was the purpose in pointing that out as if those people have zero respect for the man and dont give him enough credit?

a rather large chip on Tooj's shoulder gets him talking shit sometimes

Keegan said himself after the Man Utd game that Jimenez said "We've got this lad in called Spiderman" but he didn't know anything about Jonas and had to look him up on the internet.

You've either got a problem with players being brought in by others or you haven't.

I remember it being "We've got this lad called Spiderman".  It could certainly be construed as Jimenez saying that the player is available and willing to sign rather then he's already signed.

Kevin Keegan has done wonders for this club and it just depresses me to seem him slagged off on a more and more regular basis. I think it's pretty pathetic how people have turned so quickly against someone who had a huge hand in making NUFC what it is today.

At this point in time I don't know exactly what went on so the man remains one of my heroes.

A sad fact as well Dave is that if it wasn't for Keegan in some way, a lot of the nimrods on here wouldn't even support Newcastle United.

If Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End hadnt of merged there wouldnt be a Newcastle United no one would support them, who cares?

Ignorant as f***.

Its not ignorance. Everyone knows what Keegan has done for this club in his 1st spell as manager here, everyone knows he played a huge part in making the club as big as it is today and yes that plays a part in people outside of Newcastle currently supporting them, but what was the purpose in pointing that out as if those people have zero respect for the man and dont give him enough credit?

a rather large chip on Tooj's shoulder gets him talking shit sometimes

In what way do I have a chip on my shoulder? Never mind a large one.

Ignorant as fuck.

Because people seem to have zero or very little respect for the man that's why.

I think whats worse is the people who admit they don't know what went on yet are happy to turn against the club in support of an individual because of who he is.

Nobody has turned against the club, the people above the manager were buying players despite the manager with experience tellign them he needed players in specfic areas was ignored.

Obviously you know that for a fact I presume?

As Tooj would say.

Glad the question I asked you was of such insignificance that you thought to ignore it, yet belittle it in another post.

How do I know Keegan wanted Ferdinand?

I read it in the same papers that reported all of the problems behind the scenes which turned out to be correct, unless we're only allowed to believe anything they write that backs up our agenda.

Thankfully I'm not the only one who sees this. I mean about people only believing certain things that backs up their agenda. I've been saying it on here for ages. We all do it btw, myself included.

So what happens when we hire another Geordie hero and it goes tits up?. Does everybody go out on the streets protesting with banners reading" Yankie go Home"?. We should go for a world class Manager anyway it sounds like arrogance from Shearers part I'm ready to save the club but I wasn't willing to help out when Keegan asked me.

People do believe certain stories to fit there agenda.  But people also believe things that they think sound believable given the situation.  Just because certain things going on behind the scenes at Newcastle have been correct in the papers doesn't mean I have to believe it was all true.

So what happens when we hire another Geordie hero and it goes tits up?. Does everybody go out on the streets protesting with banners reading" Yankie go Home"?. We should go for a world class Manager anyway it sounds like arrogance from Shearers part I'm ready to save the club but I wasn't willing to help out when Keegan asked me.

If the things said about Shearer's ego are true then no way would he want to play second fiddle to Keegan, a man who for most will always be held in higher regard by the fans than Shearer. Something which I believe bugs him and is certainly why he wouldn't have done it. He's about the only man who would mind, and I still love Shearer btw.

I think whats worse is the people who admit they don't know what went on yet are happy to turn against the club in support of an individual because of who he is.

Nobody has turned against the club, the people above the manager were buying players despite the manager with experience tellign them he needed players in specfic areas was ignored.

As Tooj would say.

I know that for a fact, cos I watch the team play and see how short we re of players in vital areas.  I can tell you now that KK would not have let that happen if he was left to sign who and what he needed.

As Tooj would say.

I know that for a fact, cos I watch the team play and see how short we re of players in vital areas.  I can tell you now that KK would not have let that happen if he was left to sign who and what he needed.

Just because you think it doesn't make it a fact.

As Tooj would say.

Its not about thinking mate, can you seriously sit watching the match and not say to yourself  "fuck me we have a thin sqaud/first team"  So this then takes it back to who has been signing the players and not listening to the manaher they hired to do the job.

Who the fuck signed Xisco when we needed other positions filled first.

Yawn.

Go get some sleep if your tired. God knows your on here long enough.

Fail x2.

Alan Shearer strikes me as a very principled man, so yeah, in the same circumstances I reckon he'd have walked too.

Any excuse to have yet another go at Keegan though, you ungrateful little twerp.

Another grammar triumph! Well done! Give yourself a hand!

Your arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

Ungrateful? From where I stand Keegan was given a job he wanted. Was paid £3 million a year to do the job. Agreed to a setup put in place. Acted as though all was well. Started the season well. Then suddenly leaves at the most inopportune moment.

That's my opinion. Keegan handled the situation just as badly as Ashley and his pals did. Simple as that.

Do you have details of his contract to say how much he was being paid?

Do you have details of exactly what went on at the time of Keegan's departure?

No, but no one else does either!

Look ... please, it's not my intention to start up another one of these arguments, as they irritate me as much as they do most on here.

All I said was that I think Shearer is more sensible and reasonable, and I didn't think Shearer would have left the club so easily under the same circumstances. I think he's more of a fighter than that. I honestly wasn't trying to have a go at Keegan, although I can now see how it might have come accross that way.

Keegan is a great person and has been a great manager, but I have always felt he had a bit of a personality flaw as far as his temperament goes. Just my opinion.

Shearer would've had the exact same problems as Keegan. there's no telling how it wouldve worked out but im sure he wouldnt have stuck around while some clown bought shit players behind his back and tried putting him in his place. whether shearer wouldve confronted llambias and wise and issued an ultimatum as keegan is reported to have done - or whether he wouldve done something different, is anyone's guess. but if he was met with an owner who refused to change the system no matter what (even to the point of selling the club which is bizarre) then he'd ultimately have met the same fate.

managers dont like board interference and that's true whether you're keegan, shearer, curbishley, redknapp or deschamps.

Aye that Coloccini's shit, should have got Anton Ferdinand instead.

Keegan seemed both aware of, and pleased with, the jonas, colo and guthrie transfers, so i wouldn't say they were done 'behind his back' as some other deals and attempted deals. mind you all three of them need to step up considerably to be a success here, none more so than Colo who has failed to adapt to the league so far.

Keegan said himself after the Man Utd game that Jimenez said "We've got this lad in called Spiderman" but he didn't know anything about Jonas and had to look him up on the internet.

You've either got a problem with players being brought in by others or you haven't.

the first anyone heard about Jonas was the official announcement with keegan saying he was great and would excite the fans AND that we were lucky to get him cos other clubs were also after him. that shows he both knew about Jonas before he signed and knew about the process of signing him with the reference to battling another club.

the problem is with bringing in players the manager doesn't want. if a scout, someone like Vetere, comes to the transfer team with a suggestion to buy this or that player, keegan studies the tapes and reports and consents, then that's great. But had keegan said "no i don't want him" while the parties came together to look over players, then there'd be a big problem if the player was then went out and signed anyway. no suggestion from anyone that this was the case with Jonas.

As Tooj would say.

Its not about thinking mate, can you seriously sit watching the match and not say to yourself  "fuck me we have a thin sqaud/first team"  So this then takes it back to who has been signing the players and not listening to the manaher they hired to do the job.

Can you point out the last period in the club's history when we weren't short of players in vital areas?

As Tooj would say.

Its not about thinking mate, can you seriously sit watching the match and not say to yourself  "f*** me we have a thin sqaud/first team"  So this then takes it back to who has been signing the players and not listening to the manaher they hired to do the job.

Who the f*** signed Xisco when we needed other positions filled first.

Can you point out the last period in the club's history when we weren't short of players in vital areas?

Christ, tough question.  We've needed to add the the squad for at least the last 6 - 7 years and no one has managed to do it.

Now, because we had made such a mess with SBR, Souness, Roeder & Sam Allerdyce it was massivley important that Ashley and his goons go out and help KK build a team and stop the rot that had set in.

This didn't happen and KK wanted no part of it.

Guest optimistic nit

As Tooj would say.

in august a new striker was one of our main priorities.

First of all, no chance in Shearer becoming manager before a takeover is complete, for various reasons that have already been mentioned.

Secondly, i'm not a believer in the "he needs experiance" theory. Mainly because there alot of "experianced" managers who are awful and alot of young managers who are very good (southgate, keane). I also think that if he were to manage any other clubs, it gives our fans a chance to see his flaws as a manager and therefore he would join a long list of blokes who wouldn't stand a chance of doing a good job because he would be written off before he had joined the club (which happens time after time).

There are alot of positives to having Shearer as manager, such as his ability to galvanise the club, his knowledge of the place, his ability to attact players (and keep players r.e Owen) as well as his automatic backing form the fans (rightly or wrongly). Added to this his appointment would add a long term vision to the club, which we need to stabilise everything.

In terms of possibility, i believe this to be the most likely outcome. If Shearer has decided he ready for the job, the chances are the new owners will not overlook him. Which puts him in a very strong position. Mind you alot of that depends on who buys the club and their knowledge of football. God forbid if they haven't heard of him.

As Tooj would say.

Its not about thinking mate, can you seriously sit watching the match and not say to yourself  "f*** me we have a thin sqaud/first team"  So this then takes it back to who has been signing the players and not listening to the manaher they hired to do the job.

So we signed a Spanish under 21 on the last day of the transfer market while ignoring LB, a play maker and couldn't find a replacement for Milner after we flogged him and still hand't tied down Owen on a new deal.

Someone has seriously fucked up.  This is why KK walked.

Yawn.

Go get some sleep if your tired. God knows your on here long enough.

Fail x2.

Alan Shearer strikes me as a very principled man, so yeah, in the same circumstances I reckon he'd have walked too.

Any excuse to have yet another go at Keegan though, you ungrateful little twerp.

Another grammar triumph! Well done! Give yourself a hand!

Your arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

Ungrateful? From where I stand Keegan was given a job he wanted. Was paid £3 million a year to do the job. Agreed to a setup put in place. Acted as though all was well. Started the season well. Then suddenly leaves at the most inopportune moment.

That's my opinion. Keegan handled the situation just as badly as Ashley and his pals did. Simple as that.

Do you have details of his contract to say how much he was being paid?

Do you have details of exactly what went on at the time of Keegan's departure?

No, but no one else does either!

Look ... please, it's not my intention to start up another one of these arguments, as they irritate me as much as they do most on here.

All I said was that I think Shearer is more sensible and reasonable, and I didn't think Shearer would have left the club so easily under the same circumstances. I think he's more of a fighter than that. I honestly wasn't trying to have a go at Keegan, although I can now see how it might have come accross that way.

Keegan is a great person and has been a great manager, but I have always felt he had a bit of a personality flaw as far as his temperament goes. Just my opinion.

Shearer would've had the exact same problems as Keegan. there's no telling how it wouldve worked out but im sure he wouldnt have stuck around while some clown bought shit players behind his back and tried putting him in his place. whether shearer wouldve confronted llambias and wise and issued an ultimatum as keegan is reported to have done - or whether he wouldve done something different, is anyone's guess. but if he was met with an owner who refused to change the system no matter what (even to the point of selling the club which is bizarre) then he'd ultimately have met the same fate.

managers dont like board interference and that's true whether you're keegan, shearer, curbishley, redknapp or deschamps.

Aye that Coloccini's shit, should have got Anton Ferdinand instead.

Keegan seemed both aware of, and pleased with, the jonas, colo and guthrie transfers, so i wouldn't say they were done 'behind his back' as some other deals and attempted deals. mind you all three of them need to step up considerably to be a success here, none more so than Colo who has failed to adapt to the league so far.

the first anyone heard about Jonas was the official announcement with keegan saying he was great and would excite the fans AND that we were lucky to get him cos other clubs were also after him. that shows he both knew about Jonas before he signed and knew about the process of signing him with the reference to battling another club.

the problem is with bringing in players the manager doesn't want. if a scout, someone like Vetere, comes to the transfer team with a suggestion to buy this or that player, keegan studies the tapes and reports and consents, then that's great. But had keegan said "no i don't want him" while the parties came together to look over players, then there'd be a big problem if the player was then went out and signed anyway. no suggestion from anyone that this was the case with Jonas.

I'm not suggesting the first thing Keegan heard about signing Jonas was when he noticed it on newsnow, I'm saying that he went on tv and said the first he knew about the player was when Jimenez came to him and said "we've got this player called spiderman in" he then went on to say he knew nothing about him and had to look him up on the internet.

If Keegan had to look him up on the internet because he didn't know anything about him then how could he come out and say how he would excite the fans? Because he's telling us what the scouts have told him would be my guess.

As Tooj would say.

So we signed a Spanish under 21 on the last day of the transfer market while ignoring LB, a play maker and couldn't find a replacement for Milner after we flogged him and still hand't tied down Owen on a new deal.

Someone has seriously fucked up.  This is why KK walked.

The Atouba deal fell flat the day before the transfer window closed, we signed a playmaker on loan who's now injured, we didn't get a replacement for Milner as apparently we tried to get Schweinsteiger but he turned us down and I've got doubts that Owen would sign a new contract anyway.

No big deal, we just move on to getting the positions we missed out on in January.

It'll be interesting that if the club gets taken over what the fans reaction will be if we don't fill every single position we need filling in one transfer window, I get the feeling people won't be making such a big song and dance about us missing out on a right back or whatever.

As Tooj would say.

Someone has seriously f***ed up.  This is why KK walked.

The Atouba deal fell flat the day before the transfer window closed, we signed a playmaker on loan who's now injured, we didn't get a replacement for Milner as apparently we tried to get Schweinsteiger but he turned us down and I've got doubts that Owen would sign a new contract anyway.

No big deal, we just move on to getting the positions we missed out on in January.

It'll be interesting that if the club gets taken over what the fans reaction will be if we don't fill every single position we need filling in one transfer window, I get the feeling people won't be making such a big song and dance about us missing out on a right back or whatever.

We had the whole of january last seasona and the whole of the summer this season, we also missed out on players when Allerdyce first took over.

My reaction will be the same if we get new owners in and they fail to address issues that could be addressed in one sensible transfer window.

Fuck me man, how the fuck did we fail to sign Atouba, its not like he is a top player, and this fucking play maker who had never played in the prem before and he is on fucking loan from Valencia who he has never played for.  Aye squad building that like.

As Tooj would say.

We had the whole of january last seasona and the whole of the summer this season, we also missed out on players when Allerdyce first took over.

My reaction will be the same if we get new owners in and they fail to address issues that could be addressed in one sensible transfer window.

Fuck me man, how the fuck did we fail to sign Atouba, its not like he is a top player, and this fucking play maker who had never played in the prem before and he is on fucking loan from Valencia who he has never played for.  Aye squad building that like.

Why we didn't sign Warnock is a better question. Didn't we offer £3m and they wanted £4m? A bit hazy now, but iirc that was the scenario.

As Tooj would say.

Why we didn't sign Warnock is a better question. Didn't we offer £3m and they wanted £4m? A bit hazy now, but iirc that was the scenario.

We offered £4 million and they wanted £6.5 million iirc, then Ince came out and said no more players would be leaving after they sold Bentley with them turning down further bids from us for Warnock and from Man City for Santa Cruz.