Guardian: Shearer clears way to become Newcastle manager

thewellander

Kevin Keegan has done wonders for this club and it just depresses me to seem him slagged off on a more and more regular basis. I think it's pretty pathetic how people have turned so quickly against someone who had a huge hand in making NUFC what it is today.

At this point in time I don't know exactly what went on so the man remains one of my heroes.

I think whats worse is the people who admit they don't know what went on yet are happy to turn against the club in support of an individual because of who he is.

Nobody has turned against the club, the people above the manager were buying players despite the manager with experience tellign them he needed players in specfic areas was ignored.

Obviously you know that for a fact I presume?

As Tooj would say.

I know that for a fact, cos I watch the team play and see how short we re of players in vital areas.  I can tell you now that KK would not have let that happen if he was left to sign who and what he needed.

Just because you think it doesn't make it a fact.

Its not about thinking mate, can you seriously sit watching the match and not say to yourself  "f*** me we have a thin sqaud/first team"  So this then takes it back to who has been signing the players and not listening to the manaher they hired to do the job.

Who the f*** signed Xisco when we needed other positions filled first.

in august a new striker was one of our main priorities.

So we signed a Spanish under 21 on the last day of the transfer market while ignoring LB, a play maker and couldn't find a replacement for Milner after we flogged him and still hand't tied down Owen on a new deal.

Someone has seriously f***ed up.  This is why KK walked.

The Atouba deal fell flat the day before the transfer window closed, we signed a playmaker on loan who's now injured, we didn't get a replacement for Milner as apparently we tried to get Schweinsteiger but he turned us down and I've got doubts that Owen would sign a new contract anyway.

No big deal, we just move on to getting the positions we missed out on in January.

It'll be interesting that if the club gets taken over what the fans reaction will be if we don't fill every single position we need filling in one transfer window, I get the feeling people won't be making such a big song and dance about us missing out on a right back or whatever.

We had the whole of january last seasona and the whole of the summer this season, we also missed out on players when Allerdyce first took over.

My reaction will be the same if we get new owners in and they fail to address issues that could be addressed in one sensible transfer window.

Fuck me man, how the fuck did we fail to sign Atouba, its not like he is a top player, and this fucking play maker who had never played in the prem before and he is on fucking loan from Valencia who he has never played for.  Aye squad building that like.

We had the whole of Keegan's holiday period too, but obviously he had better things to do.

It's a win-win situation if it's true.

If he comes in, does well, and we start progressing we're laughing tea cakes.

If he comes in and does shite then it gets him out of the system for good.

Spot on. :thup:

Hurry up and do it then.  Money being available for transfers would be nice, but I'd settle for escaping relegation and the stability of knowing that our manager will be in his job in 3, 6 or even 12 months.

Shearer is someone most people can support, and you can no longer accuse Newcastle supporters of unrealistic expectations.  In the next 3-4 weeks the difference between mid table and bottom 4 or 5 is going grow by several points.  Just keep us up, and take things from there.  Think long term.

The real question hasn't been answered yet.

Does Shearer have enough hair left to be a top manager?

Off the top of my bonce Ian Holloway is the highes baldy gaffer in the leagues right now. could it be that a lack of hair points to a lack of managerial prowess?

Felipao doesn't have much hair!

If he comes in and does s**** then it gets him out of the system for good.

exactly.

i made the same point in another thread.

win win. get him in.

im a poet...

You're assuming that after he does shite, we'll still be in the Premiership.

Even if he's no great shakes, anyone who makes him manager will have to give him decent backing, so there's a fair chance he'll do ok. I was never a big fan of Shearer when he was here as a player but I would like to see him get a crack as manager. He's a born leader and unless he's completely clueless should be able to harness the support and move the club forward.

One thing for sure, Shearer would be on that line giving those lazy fookers some stick.  He's a solid fella and would take absolutetly no shit.

He can do no worse that JK.  I actually think he would do a good job and would have untold amounts of respect from the players, and fans.

One thing for sure, Shearer would be on that line giving those lazy fookers some stick.  He's a solid fella and would take absolutetly no s***.

He can do no worse that JK.  I actually think he would do a good job and would have untold amounts of respect from the players, and fans.

I don't know how you figure that a recently retired player with absolutely no experience can't possibly do worse than someone with quite a bit of experience and success in the past.

I would not want to hire Shearer just for fear of the Keegan effect type situation. I just mean if he is a s*** manager that the people in charge of the club may be scared of sacking him or limiting his control/influence. I don't want the club to be stuck with a poor manager for five seasons just because his name is Alan Shearer. Frankly, I would like whatever manager we hire to have shown that they are a good (or at least competent) manager at some point during their life. This is why I would be against Shearer, though it wouldn't be the end of the world if he came.

Isnt this story just going to unsettle everything again. Kinear has it in his head that he has a crack at the job full time. He is in the seat so he has every right to think that.

But now, he has the story rumbling around, that Shearer is standing at the front door waiting to take over. I hoping that it makes JK strive even more to succeed but I fear that he might think "ah bollocks, not worth the effort now "

Isnt this story just going to unsettle everything again. Kinear has it in his head that he has a crack at the job full time. He is in the seat so he has every right to think that.

But now, he has the story rumbling around, that Shearer is standing at the front door waiting to take over. I hoping that it makes JK strive even more to succeed but I fear that he might think "ah bollocks, not worth the effort now "

Nah, Kinnear's been going on since he arrived about Shearer waiting in the wings.

One thing for sure, Shearer would be on that line giving those lazy fookers some stick.  He's a solid fella and would take absolutetly no s***.

I don't know how you figure that a recently retired player with absolutely no experience can't possibly do worse than someone with quite a bit of experience and success in the past.

I would not want to hire Shearer just for fear of the Keegan effect type situation. I just mean if he is a s*** manager that the people in charge of the club may be scared of sacking him or limiting his control/influence. I don't want the club to be stuck with a poor manager for five seasons just because his name is Alan Shearer. Frankly, I would like whatever manager we hire to have shown that they are a good (or at least competent) manager at some point during their life. This is why I would be against Shearer, though it wouldn't be the end of the world if he came.

I agree with you in part, but I think these are exceptional circumstances.  Having a manager that would be difficult to sack might be a good thing in the medium to long term (provided he is interested in staying in the first place....).  Stability is the most important thing, not instant results.  Chopping and changing is ruining this club.  The next guy needs to be given a 3 year contract that is actually worth the paper it is written on. 

It is rolling the dice with an ex-player, but I think it is warranted.  Better, more successful clubs and national sides have appointed managers with little experience (and some have done very well.)

Even if he's no great shakes, anyone who makes him manager will have to give him decent backing, so there's a fair chance he'll do ok. I was never a big fan of Shearer when he was here as a player but I would like to see him get a crack as manager. He's a born leader and unless he's completely clueless should be able to harness the support and move the club forward.

Why? Not being arsey, would just be nice to hear this side of the Shearer opinion spectrum from a respectable poster... i was surprised when i read that.

Potential relegation if he does shit though.

Potential relegation if he does shit though.

We're going down as it stands.

I've thought for a while now Rob Lee is on a mission, to get his mate in as Manager and himself in as a Terry McDermott type sidekick. He's poppin up everywhere, pundit, on Sunday goals thing, interview in the Mag. Talking about "we" this and "we" that. It's pretty transparent that it's a Shearer/Lee package and he's whipping up support from the fans (supposedly) so that when the club's sold they'll waltz into the job.

Well that's his theory.