Bratislava

Disco

Yes, it's class. Stay as centrally as you can, on a friday and saturday nights the atmosphere is class, loads of street cafe/bars, people sat around chilling out. It's also the cheapest place I've been in Europe :thup:

Guest Toon Saint

I took my youngest daughter there last month, great place, full of Eastern European charm.

Transport is spot on. Pick up a free map when you get to the airport & it has all the info you need on it, including all the bus/trolley bus/trams routes & stops on it.

Lovely walks along the Danube, took the bus to the zoo & DinoPark (cheap to get in) never got to the castle though.

3 football grounds to explore if you can persuade your lass to trek round them. >:D

PM me if you need any detailed info.

Cheers guys,

I've basically narrowed it down to 2 choices. Since Bratislava is close-ish to Vienna and Budapest.

Opt 1 - Fly to/from Bratislava - 2nights & 1day in Brat, day trip to Vienna

Opt 2 - Fly to Budapest/from Bratislava - night/day in Budapest, night/day in Bratislava (bout 2hr45 train in between)

Unfortunately, Toon Saint, my lass unlike myself has little passion for European football stadiums so a fleeting glance is all I'm usually restricted too.

Will probably be staying in hostels/cheapish hotels if anyone has any rec's.

Bratislava is good for a weekend on the drink and a bit shopping! It really is cheap as chips! 80p a pint in most bars.

Theres very little else to see or do tho.

Ive been to Buda, Vienna and Brat, i would say Brat is best for drinking, food, and general cheapness for a max 2 days, Vienna is best for sight seeing, and Buda is a bit of a mix. I would advise Brat tho!

Forgot to mention, From Bratislava its about 2hours on the train to Brno in Czech, i reckon thats a better day out (and cheaper) than going to Budapest.

Hostel Blues... http://www.hostelblues.sk/

Double beds in most dorms, 5mins walk from the city centre, 1min walk from cheap bars.

Good stuff this is where caught my eye - cheap and central

I think due to time we'd best just staying in Bratislava and then maybe going to Vienna for the day or something. Go to Budapest another time. If anyone can rec. any bars/restaurants in Brat worth going to...

If you're there at the weekend just wander from bar to bar around the main square/pedestrianised areas. There should be loads of street cafes/bars, good craic. Of course, I was there in the summer, might be a bit chilly for that now :lol:

I went there for a stag weekend three years ago and I can remember none of it  :colo:

Some of the city centre needs regenerated but other than that it's nice enough.  The beer's cheap and I can't recall seeing a fat bird the whole time I was there.

dont miss 1.Slovak Pub (you probably wont be able to) Absolutely class student old style pub, massive partions of lush food for absolutely nowt (max £3) and pints are about £1. http://www.slovakpub.sk/eng/

Theres loads of bars, some ave sports on, some are full of stags some are just daft cheap! The most i paid for a bevvy for about £2.20 in the UFO Bar on top of the Bridge.  Basically just look in the window, decide if u like it and go in, they are all fairly cheap. The KGB Bar was canny.

(im quoting prices from about 1 year ago when the Pound was a decent currency! Now you can probably add 30% on to those prices..whoops)

• 1 month later...

Nice place, not that much particularly to do/see but the old town has a lovely charm about it especially as it was snowing there yesterday.

Hostel Blues... http://www.hostelblues.sk/

Double beds in most dorms, 5mins walk from the city centre, 1min walk from cheap bars.

Spot on hostel, cheap, clean, comfy.

Vienna suprised me, much nicer than i thought it was going to be. Parliament and Rathaus are particularly impressive.

Slovak birds are fit as fuck n all, all tall like, not good for a short man like me, loved the dark beer too particularly the Saris.