QUESTION:

Shak

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/dwight_schrute.jpg

My SKY Digital box seems to not be working for some reason, the screen just says 'No satellite signal is being received'

This happened once before, I rang up SKY and they didn't seem to know what to do, then all of a sudden it just started working again randomly.

Now it's gone again. Anyone know why this may be happening?

I'm not very technologically minded so don't know what to do beyond plugging everything out then plugging it back in.  :lol:

You not been paying your bills again?

FALSE:

Paid up. :(

What's LNB TT?

Decky, did you read my post?  :lol:

What a daft question.  O0

:lol:

An LNB is the thing on the end of your sky dish.

http://starfta.com/estore/images/SATE-LNB-KU-2.jpg

When they start to go signal is effected, and you either suffer in strength and/or quality, or it drops out for periods, then death.

Sometimes they just go as well.

It could be your box, but the LNB is always prime suspect imo, we've been through a few.

Might not be like, there's no way to test unless you are a Sky techy.

PS: Check your cable connections to your lnb, make sure they look good, it could be wear and tear from wind and rain etc...

Inherited the box from others when I moved in a month ago, so don't know if there were previous issues with it.

Looking at the dish input cable, it has plenty of heavy black tape wrapped around it at the top. Root of the problem most likely?

Don't pull any leads out of the back unless you have the mains power turned off, there are small voltages that run through the cables and while they can't hurt you they can destroy the equipment.

The LNB (Low Noise Block) is the box at the end of the arm on your dish that collects the signal from the dish and sends it to the tuner on the set top box, that could well be on it's way out if you are losing your signal.  These are really cheap, around £10-£20 and simple to fit yourself if you have a ladder.  Just make sure the power is off on the box otherwise you could easily destroy it before you even try to use it.

Bad weather is the most common cause of a loss of satelite signal though, if it is snowing or raining heavily it is likely that the signal will go down for a period of time, outside of that it is probably a fault. 

Sky will tell direct your call to an Asian call centre, the operator will not listen or understand what you say to them but, blindly follow a scripted conversation telling you how to unplug and plug back in while asking you about your day and what the weather is like..............  (jesus!!)..  Ask to be put through to cancellations and tell them, usually a Scottish person, that you cannot afford to pay for a service call but, would rather cancel.  Nine times out of ten they will do you a free service call and that usually means a new LNB and on occasion a new Set Top Box, usually a referb but, at least it works with a 3 month new guarentee!!

If you want to ask some experts any more detailed questions there is another forum I sometimes go on which is on the digital spy website, I can get you a link if you can't find it.

Hope that helps.

Inherited the box from others when I moved in a month ago, so don't know if there were previous issues with it.

Looking at the dish input cable, it has plenty of heavy black tape wrapped around it at the top. Root of the problem most likely?

That tape is a water proof rubber self amalgamating tape that stops water getting into the coaxial cable.  Leave it on!

Guest elbee909

I had this last night and was still the same this morning.  I just hard-powered the box off (removed power cable), gave it ten secs, then put the lead back in.  Box reset itself and now it's fine again.

I'm only living here until the end of January though, not sure I can be arsed handing over money to have it repaired.

Weather has been pretty shite so think I'll sit tight for now and hope everything works itself out. :lol:

Cheers pinkeye, might go have a look for the dish later and see what I can do!