Kinnear hints at January targets...

CPL

No thread on it yet?

Source: BBC

Kinnear hints at January targets

Newcastle United manager Joe Kinnear has hinted at players he would like to bring to St James' Park in January.

Talks with owner Mike Ashley about Kinnear's future at the club have been pushed back, so the interim boss is planning for a longer stay on Tyneside.

"We need two players in as soon as possible, and I have them in mind," he told reporters on Friday.

"One is with Roma and isn't in the team at the moment. The other has already scored against us this season."

Following Kinnear's substantial clue about a Roma player, one man who has been heavily linked is John Arne Riise.

The 28-year-old Norwegian, a Liverpool player for many years, left Anfield for Italy over the summer in a deal worth £4m.

By contrast, French defender Philippe Mexes has made fewer appearances and was recently reported to be in talks with AC Milan, as Roma try to offload star players to service their debts.

Kinnear's other clue, about a player who has scored against Newcastle this season, does little to narrow down the list of possibilities.

It has been suggested that Arsenal's 20-year-old midfielder Denilson is Kinnear's target as he scored in the Gunners' 3-0 win earlier this season, but 23 players have scored against Newcastle this term.

Kinnear had initially expected to be in charge at the Tyneside club for a matter of weeks but, with the news that talks with owner Ashley will no longer take place after Saturday's game against Chelsea, has settled in for a longer haul.

"I have already got my shortlist ready and I will be giving it to Mike," said the 61-year-old.

"I know their agents and what they would be is loan deals from January until the end of the season. I already know the player in Rome would cost us £2m to bring over here.

"We need to strengthen the team and the squad and, if we can get them, they would be a big boost because both are top-class players."

Players who has scored against us this season

Darren Fletcher, Clinton Morrison, Scott Dann, Denilson, Robin van Persie, Marlon King, David Di Michele, Matthew Etherington, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Jamie O'Hara, Chris Samba, Roque Santa Cruz, Mikel Arteta, Marouane Fellaini, Djibril Cissé, Kieran Richardson, Robinho, Stephen Ireland, Ishmael Miller, Andy Johnson, Danny Murphy, Ryan Taylor, Titus Bramble

Bramble anyone?

Darren Fletcher, Clinton Morrison, Scott Dann, Denilson, Robin van Persie, Marlon King, David Di Michele, Matthew Etherington, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Jamie O'Hara, Chris Samba, Roque Santa Cruz, Mikel Arteta, Marouane Fellaini, Djibril Cissé, Kieran Richardson, Robinho, Stephen Ireland, Ishmael Miller, Andy Johnson, Danny Murphy, Ryan Taylor, Titus Bramble

Bramble anyone?

PLEASE BE ONE OF THESE

Didn't he say they were both worth £10 million?!

So why people are mentioning Riise I will never know.

Baptista might be one. Not sure he's been used too much by Roma.

The one from Roma is worth 2million apparently.  So no Baptista

Bramble anyone?

Crossed out the people it certainly wont be.

Bramble anyone?

Surely you forgot to cross out van Persie.

Did he not say they would all be loans though, so the 2m would be for loan fees and wages etc.

Bramble anyone?

Yes please  bluerazz.gif

Bramble anyone?

Wow ...

So you think Van Persie is a possibility? Can't see that one myself.

Song or Diaby  perhaps?

Bramble anyone?

fyp

Did he not say they would all be loans though, so the 2m would be for loan fees and wages etc.

This is true, ye my bad. didnt read that part

I have a bad feeling Kinnear will be still here in the winter and the Roma guy is Rodrigo fucking Taddei.. he's one of the worst in their squad, with the exception of Riise, of course..

The Roma chairman, signora Sensi (MILF) hinted earlier that they'd have to sell some of their best players in the winter to balance the books.. the names thrown around are Aquilani and Mexes, but surely they wouldn't come here.

Definetely Robinho and Riise. Taddei is actually a good player from what i've seen from him. Played regularly last year in the Champions League and havn't seen him this year so won't disagree with your comment, but based on perfomances from last years hes a much ebtter player than Duff and N'Zogbia.

Id love to get Mexes. Him and Coloccini could become class together. I doubt it'll happen though.

Now, I know he hasnt scored against us this season but Elano at Man City seems pretty out of favor dosnt he? I'd kill to have him for us.

Guest Darth Toon

Seriously lads, has no-one twigged onto the recurring themes of "JFK" and "talking shite" yet?

Has a single one of his public prognostications actually come to fruition since he joined us??

Seriously lads, has no-one twigged onto the recurring themes of "JFK" and "talking s****" yet?

Has a single one of his public prognostications actually come to fruition since he joined us??

true, but its more credible than transfer rumours by papers.  personally i dont think he would have any say on transfers in january.