Krul stays if Harper goes.

Baggio
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HAVING seen the summer move he wanted cancelled by Dennis Wise, Tim Krul is determined to leave St James’s Park at the end of this season if Steve Harper does not. And the Dutch Under-21 goalkeeper may go permanently as soon as January.

Krul  was signed by Graeme Souness in 2006 but has had a frustrating time since, starting only one first-team match, a Uefa Cup game in Palermo. His path has been blocked by Shay Given and Steve Harper, though that could change if the latter runs down his contract this summer. The 20-year-old, who spent last season at Falkirk, is on loan to Carlisle United until January and has not ruled out a permanent move. But he has guaranteed he will not hang around to be the Magpies’ third-choice goalkeeper next term.

“A January transfer is a realistic option,” he said in an interview in his homeland. “I gained valuable experience with Falkirk last season. The Newcastle coaching staff expressed their contentment on my return but I was never rewarded with a first-team place.”

Krul came close to joining Feyenoord last summer, only for executive director (football) Wise to pull the plug. “Feyenoord met all conditions and it seemed perfect,” he said of the aborted deal. “I dreamt of being in Rotterdam. But Wise suddenly put a veto on the transfer.

“I managed to get my season back on track with the aid of my parents and (agent) Harry Lulofs. I worked my socks off in training and featured for the reserves. Things went just fine and club officials were enthusiastic.

“My future with Newcastle depends on Steve Harper, whose contract is due to expire. If he signs an extension, I will be off. Nobody knows who’s the boss here. Joe Kinnear has been appointed caretaker manager, I’ll just have to wait and see. Anything is possible when a new coaching staff takes charge.”

Despite his undisguised frustration, Krul has no regrets about moving to Tyneside. “I have grown as a person and developed into a good goalkeeper,” he reflected.

“The highlight was undoubtedly my debut in the Uefa Cup two seasons ago. I like life in Newcastle and would gladly stay but something has got to happen.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/11/22/dutchman-weighing-up-his-options-61634-22315065/

Surley Krul, Harper needs to go, at least play a couple of  season as a first-choice goalkeepr for once in his life, got nothing against the guy and he's been an amazing servant to our team but i just think it'll be better for everyone if he moves on and for Krul to be on the bench.

Agreed, Harps has to go. I really like the guy but I think its time he came to his senses and moved on to get the 1st team football he deserves. He's what- 32,33 now? Not a whole lot of time left for him. As long as Given is fit and playing Steve wont get a look in. Its been like that for the past 9 years or so and I doubt its going to change.

As for Krul- I'd be gutted if he left. He's a top class keeper and we'd be letting one of our very few gems leave the club. If keeping him means sacraficing Harper then so be it. This lad could become almost as good as Given, imo.

These Dutch fuckers really are a bunch of whinging bastards.

I think young Tim is getting a bit carried away he is competing with Forster atm, as Stevie Harper is better than him atm. He should also watch his slot as Ole, Jak & Max are gunning for it.

Guest Jawesome

Why don't they sit down and have a proper chat about it?  Rather than whinge on in the papers.  Anyone would think this is FM.

80% of people on this board would be happy with Krul playing premiership football if Given gets injured next season despite never seeing him make a league apperance, fucking madness.

Or people on this forum would hate to see a talented young keeper walk away so that a 33 year old can get a few more years pay while warming the bench like he's done for most of his career.

80% of people on this board would be happy with Krul playing premiership football if Given gets injured next season despite never seeing him make a league apperance, f***ing madness.

Or people on this forum would hate to see a talented young keeper walk away so that a 33 year old can get a few more years pay while warming the bench like he's done for most of his career.

the poll wasn't 'walk away or not' though was it

I'd like to see Krul go out on loan, as he has done, and prove himself in a lower league before being promoted to the bench. After all Forster has gone out on loan and by all reports done alright too.

I'd like to see Krul go out on loan, as he has done, and prove himself in a lower league before being promoted to the bench. After all Forster has gone out on loan and by all reports done alright too.

To be fair to Krul he went out on loan last season and did well in the SPL behind of a shite defence.

Guest LucaAltieri

80% of people on this board would be happy with Krul playing premiership football if Given gets injured next season despite never seeing him make a league apperance, fucking madness.

This.

Harper all the way. The jury is still out on Krul.

Harper is the better keeper. Proven quality. Loves the club and so he's happy to sit there as number two. Can't say I blame him.

Not the best way to express it but Krul's just shown more ambition than Harper ever has.

At least Krul sees the need to get games and has the bottle to leave and search for games. Then again I've been saying this for years.....

*waits for the 'aye but he's loyal' shite to come.*

Not the best way to express it but Krul's just shown more ambition than Harper ever has.

At least Krul sees the need to get games and has the bottle to leave and search for games. Then again I've been saying this for years.....

*waits for the 'aye but he's loyal' shite to come.*

You fucking hate him man. :lol:

Even though I've only seen Krul play once for the 1st team when he had a blinder, from what I saw in that game I'd be willing to bet he goes on to be a pretty good keeper. No doubt there'll be outrage that I'm basing my opinion on one game but you can only go by your own judgement. I'm personally glad that Wise pulled the plug on that move.

He is loyal though.

And he's a good keeper who has been dropped at times when an underperforming Given has returned from injury.

I was only really saying that as a joke but I have no problems at all with Harpers lack of ambition. Its his loss and that lack of ambition has meant we haven't had to search for a new keeper every year or put up with dodgy back up.