I'm 19 and....

Guest NewcastleRocker

Guest NewcastleRocker

have no idea what i'm going to do with the rest of my life blueconfused.gif

Anyone else in my boat, or has been in my situation, i'm going from one crappy job to a next, Uni courses i can't stand, general uncertainess.

Anyone alot older and still uncertain?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

What do you do? bluecool.gif

I don't do anything, you can be my slave though I can give you £1 an hour and all the cottage pie you can eat

*EDIT* It's very nice pie btw

21 here, was uncertain until about 2 months ago.

Go to college or something, ditch shit jobs.  They're not necessary, and bad for your health.

Learn a trade, or if you're at Uni and it's crap, leave and do something you like. 

I'm at college now, boring as fuck, but it'll lead to better things.  It'll take a while, but who cares, what else is there to do?

Well I'm 21 and in the last year of uni with no idea what I'm going to do. Are you in uni? If not then you should go, it gives you three years to do nothing which delays having to make any sort of real decisions about anything.

Guest NewcastleRocker

I am at the minute, doing law, can't stand it, i was sort of pressured into it.

Only problem is, if i leave these shitty jobs and go back to college, who's gonna pay my board,sky digital and broadband bills.

Its a tricky situation.

I'm doing Law and Politics myself, no intention of practicing but enjoy your time as a student because it all goes downhill after that, the thought of getting a proper job and working 9 to 5 every day depresses me.

It's not a case of making decisions or shit and somehow your life will be decided there and there and done.  You just live.  Simple as that.  Make decisions as you go along.

You'll plod along in jobs, until you make an effort to get a good one. 

I can't understand why people go to Uni with no aim, or idea of what they're doing there.  Why waste 5 years of your life? 

Personally working my way to Uni, finish the course and go solo and start a business.  Have to earn the cash, but I have plans. ;)

Guest Alan Shearer 9

aye I'm going to Northumberland Uni as it's the closet one to Newcastle that does film, I can get a season ticket then too, works out quite nicely. Problem is I know what I want to do, want to direct films but don't know anything about the modern business, just have to play it by ear. Can always fall back on journalism though because I'm going to do an English and Film course. So actually, I've got a clearer idea than I thought, just entering an unknown world to me

Guest Bon Geordie

I would go where your heart tells you.

I made the mistake of not pursuing a career which i had my heart set on and although i work as a freelance project manager for the NHS at the moment, I still sort of regret not studying journalism and becoming a journalist/writer.

Theres nothing worse than being in a job you hate.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

yeah I think production is the first foot in the door these days, then work your way up until you're making your own films.

Guest Howaythetoon

aye I'm going to Northumberland Uni as it's the closet one to Newcastle that does film, I can get a season ticket then too, works out quite nicely. Problem is I know what I want to do, want to direct films but don't know anything about the modern business, just have to play it by ear. Can always fall back on journalism though because I'm going to do an English and Film course. So actually, I've got a clearer idea than I thought, just entering an unknown world to me

Being in the creativity business it is good to have a sense of the unknown. When I first started out in web design I didn't have a clue, I just opened the software and started messing about. No classes, no rules or guidelines, I just created stuff from the top of my head.

That way you don't pick up anyone elses bad habbits or other little things, you go in with a clear mind and a blank canvas if you like. You create the rules.

On the general theme of this thread, how can anyone go to college and do a course they have no interest in pursuing in later life as a career? I don't get it? Sounds crazy to me... what a waste!

If you are feeling stuck or in a rut and undecided about what you want to be, what you want to do and where you want to go, don't worry. It's natural and you should embrace it. You can't map out your life and live by a plan. You could try but you'll get bored and nothing ever goes to plan in life anyway.

Just chill or doss about. Try your hand at a few things, do things you usually wouldn't, you may enjoy it.

What you need is a passion more than anything, something you love, something you can get your teeth in to. For me, it's writing, web design and NUFC so I've combined the three and I love what I do. I'm 25 and have tried all sorts but I love what I now do and it gives me more pleasure than other jobs I've done that have pulled in more money and such.

I'm free. I'm my own boss. No-one dictates to me, I can do what I like.

Mind that's partly down to the fact that I've stopped chasing money if you like and now don't rely on money so I can be like that.

A quick tip: Don't look at jobs or careers that pay the most because in years from now you'll look back and regret wasting so many of them unfulfilled. Find something you really enjoy, even if it's 'wacky' or 'unrealistic'. Some would say Shearer 9's idea of wanting to be a film director is crazy and unrealistic, it may be but I bet that's what he's most passionate about and with any luck, he'll make it.

I always believe if you give it your all, try hard, have some passion and think about your decision making carefully, you'll make a success with whatever you chose to do regardless of how unexperienced or unintelligent you may be.

A few years ago I couldn't turn a computer on now I can't turn it off. Me, web design? I'd have laughed at you.

But that's what I love.

My future? Feck knows and I don't really want to know.

PS Never think about your future man, people spend half their life thinking about their future and when they get there, they realise they have no past - just an empty voide of nothingness. Just death to look forward too then.

Being in the creativity business it is good to have a sense of the unknown. When I first started out in web design I didn't have a clue, I just opened the software and started messing about. No classes, no rules or guidelines, I just created stuff from the top of my head.

That way you don't pick up anyone elses bad habbits or other little things, you go in with a clear mind and a blank canvas if you like. You create the rules.

On the general theme of this thread, how can anyone go to college and do a course they have no interest in pursuing in later life as a career? I don't get it? Sounds crazy to me... what a waste!

If you are feeling stuck or in a rut and undecided about what you want to be, what you want to do and where you want to go, don't worry. It's natural and you should embrace it. You can't map out your life and live by a plan. You could try but you'll get bored and nothing ever goes to plan in life anyway.

Just chill or doss about. Try your hand at a few things, do things you usually wouldn't, you may enjoy it.

What you need is a passion more than anything, something you love, something you can get your teeth in to. For me, it's writing, web design and NUFC so I've combined the three and I love what I do. I'm 25 and have tried all sorts but I love what I now do and it gives me more pleasure than other jobs I've done that have pulled in more money and such.

I'm free. I'm my own boss. No-one dictates to me, I can do what I like.

Mind that's partly down to the fact that I've stopped chasing money if you like and now don't rely on money so I can be like that.

A quick tip: Don't look at jobs or careers that pay the most because in years from now you'll look back and regret wasting so many of them unfulfilled. Find something you really enjoy, even if it's 'wacky' or 'unrealistic'. Some would say Shearer 9's idea of wanting to be a film director is crazy and unrealistic, it may be but I bet that's what he's most passionate about and with any luck, he'll make it.

I always believe if you give it your all, try hard, have some passion and think about your decision making carefully, you'll make a success with whatever you chose to do regardless of how unexperienced or unintelligent you may be.

A few years ago I couldn't turn a computer on now I can't turn it off. Me, web design? I'd have laughed at you.

But that's what I love.

My future? Feck knows and I don't really want to know.

PS Never think about your future man, people spend half their life thinking about their future and when they get there, they realise they have no past - just an empty voide of nothingness. Just death to look forward too then.

Some very, very good points in there, very good indeed.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

aye, it is my passion so to speak, and I'd never hesitate to follow it, I could do something like History/Politics at a red brick uni but I'm not too arsed about my career, I want to live a bit, and this way I'll have no regrets whatsoever about not following my "dream". Honestly though watch out in about 25 years for my Hughie Gallagher film, twill be mint  blueyes.gif

I'm at uni and doing a course that will follow onto what I wanted to do. Now I'm having second thoughts and thinking of doing something else. bluecool.gif

Guest Howaythetoon

aye, it is my passion so to speak, and I'd never hesitate to follow it, I could do something like History/Politics at a red brick uni but I'm not too arsed about my career, I want to live a bit, and this way I'll have no regrets whatsoever about not following my "dream". Honestly though watch out in about 25 years for my Hughie Gallagher film, twill be mint   blueyes.gif

That's the spirit.

I really feel for those pressurised into a certain corner regarding their careers or those who just don't know what to do.

You don't have to do anything, that's the beauty of live. You do what you want, when you want. Obviously if you have kids or major responsibilities you can't have such a carefree attitude but people really do need to stop worring.

I know people with big mortgages, stressful jobs and they are unhappy, but because they mapped out their lives, they are stuck. They need that stressful job to pay that huge mortgage.

Now that's a rut.

I say forget it, ditch the mortgage and do something you really enjoy. "Can't, will I ever get another dream house?"

Feck, what's a dream house if you're a miserable bastard?

My sister once bought a breadbin and it cost 30 quid. Because it was silver and weighed as much as a grain of sugar. Space age or something like that. Put the bread in the cupboard, spend that 30 quid on a night out man.

Live like a pig, be happy in shit. As long as I have my tabs, my coffee, NUFC and my warped thoughts, I'm as happy as pig in shit me.

People constantly say to me: "You have to do something with your life"

Why? I'm not going to find a cure for cancer or build a rocket and fly to the moon. Me doing what I'm doing is me doing something with my life.

I live my life for me, not for anyone else. Just because my mates have their own house or work 9-5 doesn't mean I have to follow.

Honestly, find a passion and go for it. Some of my mates want to be DJs. They'll never produce records or command huge fees, they're destined for a life of working in pubs and clubs, but they wouldn't have it any other way. They love the music, they love to see people dancing to their music and they get paid for their passion. Happy as larry they are.

You don't even need to go to college or university. What's a piece of paper saying you studied hard and passed a few exams? Feck all in real life.

Do what you want to do, no-one is stopping you, just yourself.

Aside from what HTT said most of my friends who have been successful just make it up. Whatever you think you might want to do become good enough at the required skill for that job so that you could do it in a pinch.

The crazier or more far fetched your goal the better, my friends who have wanted to do pretty big things ended up doing some canny interesting things. The thing you want to avoid is to be stuck is some godforsaken place like stevenege doind a job that you hate, working with people you loath, and stuck because you either don't have the balls or the economic self-sufiency to move on. That actually happens ... and sooner than you think.

You only live once.

Oh one other thing, you might have to move to do something big. Although some people can make it locally doing something like film - believe me - the Trainspotting lads are the exception - you have to move to LA or London to do film, and that can reallly suck struggling in big cities like that (and NYC) but it has been worth the risk for those that I know who have done it. I hated Washington DC and I never want to live in NYC again, but for my career at the time it was important and it turns out I could go somewhere else and people would be impressed that I had worked there - showed some level of sacrifice and determination that usually stands out. Also moving is important just for the sake of it I have lived in a few cities I really liked and would return to - it gives perspective. A few lads on here hope to move to Spain and Australia - I highly recommend moving somewhere else at least for a few years.

Guest artical

I am at the minute, doing law, can't stand it, i was sort of pressured into it.

Only problem is, if i leave these shitty jobs and go back to college, who's gonna pay my board,sky digital and broadband bills.

Its a tricky situation.

Though I think HTT made some good points, one thing I would say in favour of law is that it really sent you up for life if the shit hits the fan and you really need to just make some money.

I just did a Fine Art degree which I absolutely loved, and have now started a law conversion course which is interesting, but obviously nowhere near as much fun.  But in the long term it could really help to get this degree before I start doing things like getting a house, married etc - because when you're older it's so much harder to study things, you have so many other commitments.

I'm all for the 'follow your dreams' ethic but i also know plenty of people (in art) who are 35-40 and completely washed up, they did something they loved but found out that loads of people were better than them, and they have nothing to fall back on.  Law gives you a degree which will always be useful and desirable, by any company.

But if you can't stand the idea of 3 years of law, maybe you should do a degree in something else and a law conversion afterwards.  Then you get 2 degrees with only a year extra work (albeit an absolute shitload of it if my timetable's anything to go by).

In life you have to do something you love or you'll always regret it, but always make contingency plans for if things go wrong.

Good luck!

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Aside from what HTT said most of my friends who have been successful just make it up. Whatever you think you might want to do become good enough at the required skill for that job so that you could do it in a pinch.

The crazier or more far fetched your goal the better, my friends who have wanted to do pretty big things ended up doing some canny interesting things. The thing you want to avoid is to be stuck is some godforsaken place like stevenege doind a job that you hate, working with people you loath, and stuck because you either don't have the balls or the economic self-sufiency to move on. That actually happens ... and sooner than you think.

You only live once.

Oh one other thing, you might have to move to do something big. Although some people can make it locally doing something like film - believe me - the Trainspotting lads are the exception - you have to move to LA or London to do film, and that can reallly suck struggling in big cities like that (and NYC) but it has been worth the risk for those that I know who have done it. I hated Washington DC and I never want to live in NYC again, but for my career at the time it was important and it turns out I could go somewhere else and people would be impressed that I had worked there - showed some level of sacrifice and determination that usually stands out. Also moving is important just for the sake of it I have lived in a few cities I really liked and would return to - it gives perspective. A few lads on here hope to move to Spain and Australia - I highly recommend moving somewhere else at least for a few years.

yeah, I was thinking of going to America to study film and there's a London film school that's one of my back up options. Thing is though, I can't stay away from Newcastle much longer, and with this course there's an English Lit side as well, so as I said before it's not like I'll have nothing to fall back on. Everyone poos it over careers IMO, there's people at my school who are shocked I'm going to the North East to study so i can get a season ticket, but I don't really give a fook. You hear people say the best days of your life are at school, well you must have had a pretty boring life if that's the case. Get out there and do something you love.