Given, Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique...

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

Damn right, Taylor shouldnt be anywhere near that back four. Bassong has been brilliant and today he showed it yet again. I'll just wait for Ronaldo to confirm for me that Taylor is'nt that good. :aww:

Five very good footballers. Any other season we'd have lost that game today, going to Chelsea looking for a 0-0. But we've never had as much individual quality in our backline as we have this season and we coped well, even with the likes of Butt and Guthrie selling us down the river a couple of times.

Five very good footballers. Any other season we'd have lost that game today, going to Chelsea looking for a 0-0. But we've never had as much individual quality in our backline as we have this season and we coped well, even with the likes of Butt and Guthrie selling us down the river a couple of times.

This might be kneejerk but we actually do look as if we can start playing for a draw, I can't remember feeling we could do that for quite a long time.

According to some, Enrique apparently isn't good enough for this league...

If we keep Bassong in the centre and Enrique on the left then Kinnear is right to be after another LB. I'd like us to get cover at RB too but I don't expect much at all during the window for the obvious reasons.

If we keep Bassong in the centre and Enrique on the left then Kinnear is right to be after another LB. I'd like us to get cover at RB too but I don't expect much at all during the window for the obvious reasons.

Enrique was exposed down his side a lot today and didn't do too much wrong, his passing wasn't up to much but again, he had nothing to play the ball to.

Enrique is the only one I'm unsure about.  Seems to be the most inconsistant.

Beye has been class from day one.  Bassong looks to be very good.  Coloccini has been hitting the pies a little hard it looks like but I'd still pair him with Bassong over Taylor. 

Enrique was exposed down his side a lot today and didn't do too much wrong, his passing wasn't up to much but again, he had nothing to play the ball to.

Yeah, I fully agree with that. He didn't do a great deal wrong defensively today.

The same back five played last week though.

I don't know if Taylor's return is imminent anyway. He can run ok but has groin pain when he kicks the ball. Apparently he's been sent for a scan.

They need games to work out each other’s game but you're right, today was only 1 games but I think they've shown enough to be left alone for a while to see how they can develop.

Guest Heneage

With next week being a "Derby" Taylor if fit will come back but I don't know why, the only change id be willing to try is Charlie for Duff.

The same back five played last week though.

I don't know if Taylor's return is imminent anyway. He can run ok but has groin pain when he kicks the ball. Apparently he's been sent for a scan.

They need games to work out each other’s game but you're right, today was only 1 games but I think they've shown enough to be left alone for a while to see how they can develop.

What I said about Taylor (which I think I read off ICNewcastle) has been contradicted by a story in todays Chronicle.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/11/22/mark-viduka-back-in-frame-for-boro-clash-72703-22316768/

Meanwhile, Kinnear expects to have his Geordie boy Steven Taylor back next Saturday.

The England Under-21 skipper has missed the last two games with Fulham and Wigan after picking up a stomach injury when away on international duty. He had hoped to have returned in today’s match with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and in normal circumstances he would have.

But his comeback and training was interrupted this week when he was laid low by a bug and his comeback went on hold for a week.

My only  concern with that back four is Enrique - defensively he is very good, people rarely get by him and he's very strong, but i think he gives away posession far too much, be interesting to see his passing stats, he also doesnt offer much going forward which is a real concern. The rest are very good and seem to have there role naile. (well on this perfomance anyway).