Given, Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique...

Dave

I'd be tempted to test the Jonas in the centre theory but not in the middle of a season. Those sort of things are meant for pre-season or even the last 20 mins of a match (such as coventry away or such).

IMO he has certainly looked at his best, whilst out on the left. The only problem is that Kinnear and co have their shamrock tinted specs on when it comes to Duff.

• 3 weeks later...

YOU will have to fight to force your way back into the team. That was the message from Bob Moncur to Steven Taylor after the young Newcastle United defender found himself on the bench for the last two games with Stoke City and Portsmouth.

To be fair to Moncur, he was one of the first to spot Sebastien Bassongs potential, and the young French defender has certainly looked the part alongside Fabricio Coloccini at the heart of the United defence in recent games.

It has to be said United really looked comfortable at the back at Fratton Park on Sunday when Portsmouths little-and-large combination up front of Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe had probably their worst games for a while.

Moncur said today: Not so long ago we were saying that United were crying out for central defenders.

Now they have three very decent ones in Bassong, Coloccini and young Taylor.

Taylor is a player I rate, but he now finds himself sitting on the bench and he will have to fight his way back in.

The back four is looking really settled these days and I must single out Jose Enrique, who did very well at Portsmouth, including playing the biggest part in making the second goal for Obafemi Martins.

I have always felt Habib Beye was a class player, and when I first clapped eyes on Bassong I thought he was not a bad player at all.

Uniteds superb 3-0 success on the south coast was their first away league win of the season their record being the longest on the road in the top flight without a victory.

Added Moncur: What was particularly pleasing was that Joe Kinnear quickly realised Portsmouth were not looking so clever and the three points were there for the taking.

Sometimes teams sit back away from home, but there was none of that from United on Sunday and they gained their reward.

As a result, United have now picked up five points from their last three away games at Chelsea, Middlesbrough and Portsmouth.

Looking at the substitutes bench at Portsmouth with the likes of Mark Viduka, Taylor, Cacapa, Damien Duff, Shola Ameobi and Geremi, as well as Steve Harper, things can only get better.

Not that I am going to predict anything. Apart from when you go in against any of the so-called top four, it is almost impossible to predict any results these days.

When the fixtures came out Spurs at home would have been considered a tough game, but after Sunday you have to fancy Newcastles chances.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/17/steven-taylor-must-fight-for-place-moncur-72703-22496711/

Got to stay the same for as long as possible. A settled back 4 is what the club has been crying out for for several seasons. Its a shame Taylor couldn't be there, but now it really is up to him to prove himself and take his chance if and when he gets it. Finally a positive situation in terms of the team for him to learn from.

Got to stay the same for as long as possible. A settled back 4 is what the club has been crying out for for several seasons. Its a shame Taylor couldn't be there, but now it really is up to him to prove himself and take his chance if and when he gets it. Finally a positive situation in terms of the team for him to learn from.

Why is it a shame?

I'm fishing btw. ;)

Wouldn't be surprised if Taylor puts in a transfer request in the summer should Bassong keep him out.

Then let's hope Martin O'Neill picks up the crack pipe again and offers us a stupid price like he did for Milner.

Why is it a shame?

I'm fishing btw. ;)

Because i like the lad, and we all know how much playing for the club means to him. But results are what's important, and as a fan he'll have to accept they are better right now without him, and as a player he needs to pick himself up, grow and learn from it and become a better player.

Wouldn't be surprised if Taylor puts in a transfer request in the summer should Bassong keep him out.

Then let's hope Martin O'Neill picks up the crack pipe again and offers us a stupid price like he did for Milner.

wouldn't be funny anymore if it just fill ashley pocket...  :undecided:

Guest firetotheworks

Why is it a shame?

I'm fishing btw. ;)

Because i like the lad, and we all know how much playing for the club means to him. But results are what's important, and as a fan he'll have to accept they are better right now without him, and as a player he needs to pick himself up, grow and learn from it and become a better player.

But the noble man you love is actually Hans Sprungfeld, an evil Pirate. He didnt support Newcastle, so say my mates who were in the same year with him at school.

Why is it a shame?

I'm fishing btw. ;)

But the noble man you love is actually Hans Sprungfeld, an evil Pirate. He didnt support Newcastle, so say my mates who were in the same year with him at school.

I'm guessing you watched that one on Channel 4 on Monday as well then? :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Why is it a shame?

I'm fishing btw. ;)

Aye, I still love the 'You are banned from this museum. You, your children and your childrens children....for three months.'

Why is it a shame?

I'm fishing btw. ;)

Aye, I still love the 'You are banned from this museum. You, your children and your childrens children....for three months.'

I always love the sniper at the end.  :laugh:

HABIB Beye reflected on Newcastle United's improving defensive fortunes when he said: "It's good to talk!"

Newcastle's multi-lingual defence recorded a third successive away clean sheet in Sunday's 3-0 win at Portsmouth, and Beye and his colleague's finally look to be speaking the same language on the pitch ahead of Sunday's home game against Tottenham Hotspur.

Kinnear is seemingly reaping the rewards of playing a settled back four for the past five games, with United having shut out the opposition in three of those fixtures.

As well as Senegalese Beye, Newcastle's rearguard is made up of Argentinian Fabricio Coloccini, Frenchman Sebastien Bassong and Spaniard Jose Enrique, not to mention Irish goalkeeper Shay Given.

"You have some Spanish players, Colo is from Argentina, Sebastien and me speak French, but we speak English and try to have a good communication," Beye told the Gazette.

"It's very important to talk. It's very important for us as a team to work very hard and have a good communication between us.

"If we have a good defence, and keep a clean sheet every time, you can win every game. The manager works very hard every day to have a good team, and we are showing our quality."

Kinnear's side had gone to Fratton Park looking to put the frustrating 2-2 home draw against Stoke City behind them.

After storming to a 2-0 first-half lead, Newcastle conceded two goals after the break, with Beye's Senegal team-mate Abdoulaye Faye netting an injury-time equaliser to deny his old club two crucial points.

The Portsmouth result which followed was doubly significant given it was the club's first Premier League success away from St James's Park this season.

Beye went on: "It was important for us to keep the clean sheet. We kept clean sheets against Middlesbrough and Chelsea, and then we conceded two goals against Stoke City.

"We wanted to come back from that, and keep a clean sheet. We did that, and scored three goals, which was a good effort.

"It was the first away win this season, and winning away against Portsmouth is very good for us.

"Before the game, we were 18th in the table, and now we are 14th, and it's better to see Newcastle in this position in the league."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Toon-back-four-speaking-the.4809061.jp

"He has probably been our biggest plus, Sebastien, since I put him in there," said Joe.

"I was led to believe when I got here that he was a left full-back, but since he has been shifted to the middle he has been one of our best players.

Was JFK really the first one to put him CB??

"He has probably been our biggest plus, Sebastien, since I put him in there," said Joe.

"I was led to believe when I got here that he was a left full-back, but since he has been shifted to the middle he has been one of our best players.

He must have missed the Coventry game.

He must have missed the Coventry game.

He doesn't say he was the first manager to play him at centre back so I'm not sure why people are trying to pick holes in what he's said.

Guest optimistic nit

nope the man's a fucking clown.

Isn't he just saying there that since hes moved him from Left Back, where Kinnear was playing him when he first arrived, to Centre Back he's been one of our best players?

I don't see him saying he was the first person ever to play him CB. Hardly worthy of calling him a fucking clown either.

It is not if you had to have your UEFA A License to work out  that playing the centreback who was playing at left back may better at centreback.

The credit is to Bassong who has shoved up all the folk who create an excuse culture by rambling on about a year to settle in, culture, different league, language, religion etc,etc.

The credit is to Bassong who has shoved up all the folk who create an excuse culture by rambling on about a year to settle in, culture, different league, language, religion etc,etc.

All players are different so I'm not sure what your point is.

Guest Heneage

It is not if you had to have your UEFA A License to work out  that playing the centreback who was playing at left back may better at centreback.

It's different player to player, some need time some don't.