Reserve team football

Benwell Lad

Why is it that nowadays almost no first team squad players turn out for the reserve team.  At one time if a player was not in the first eleven then he would turn out for the reserves. Recently our reserve team looks more like a junior XI than a second XI.

Is it because so many squad players are internationals and it's in their contract that they don't have to play reserve football ? 

I'm sure it would have helped Cacapa, who looked so rusty when he was brought into the first team at Fulham if he had recent match experience playing for the reserves.

With all the subs that are now allowed, I think managers are reluctant to risk injuries to first team players by putting them in the reserves. Except for when a senior player is coming back from injury and needs match fitness, they'll play it safe.

I also think that with it being quite difficult for young players to get a chance at first team level, even as subs, giving them reserve team experience has become a bigger priority than before - certainly a bigger priority than giving an established player match practice.

But I'd agree that there are drawbacks. Like you've cited, a player can get pitched into the first team who's not sharp enough. It also means that the quality of some reserve team football is more like the 'A' team level of a few years ago.

Why is it that nowadays almost no first team squad players turn out for the reserve team.  At one time if a player was not in the first eleven then he would turn out for the reserves. Recently our reserve team looks more like a junior XI than a second XI.

Is it because so many squad players are internationals and it's in their contract that they don't have to play reserve football ? 

I'm sure it would have helped Cacapa, who looked so rusty when he was brought into the first team at Fulham if he had recent match experience playing for the reserves.

Maybe because back in the day, you had a squad of 14-15 players so didn't have as good competition in training, whereas today you have around 30 professionals in the squad, so you can get match-fitness in training matches a lot easier.

It's the old 'extra match fitness vs. risk of injury' problem.

Imagine the outcry if Owen has snapped his ankle playing for the reserves on his way back into the first XI.  :frantic:

Of course now, the Prima Donnas that footballers are, they'd just refuse to play in the reserves.

AND GET AWAY WITH IT

That said, hasn't Owen actually had a run out in the reserves ?

For the more important players like Owen & Shearer when they're returning from injury don't they just arrange a behind-closed-doors friendly against Hartlepool or Gateshead?

Pretty much a reserve fixture but more consideration given to not kicking the crap out of the half-fit £17million striker.

Guest Stephen927

Don't know about Owen, but pretty sure Shearer never played a single NUFC reserve game.

I read somewhere (Crumpy Gunt might have told me actually) he only played 1 during his time here.

For the more important players like Owen & Shearer when they're returning from injury don't they just arrange a behind-closed-doors friendly against Hartlepool or Gateshead?

Pretty much a reserve fixture but more consideration given to not kicking the crap out of the half-fit £17million striker.

Yeah, much better imo.