Travel related problem.

Guest Geordiecunny

Guest Geordiecunny

In the summer, I'm planning on travelling around the far east by train or any method of transport possible. I was looking a visas, and all the countries requite visas, but to get one some countries ask for copies of return flights to and from the country- Cambodia and china for example-  does anyone know a way round this of the extent to which visas are checked in these places? I don't want to have to fly in and out of each country, and clearly it is possible to go through countries because shows like long way round do it!

Guest timmy boy

I travelled South East Asia earlier this year and the whole visa stuff is a bit of a pain in the arse a lot of it is luck of the draw.

How long are you staying in Thailand for? They have quite a complex visa system. When I went  you needed to have proof of a flight out of the country within 30 days to be exempt of getting a visa,although they didn't ask me for proof of this when I landed.It is easy to buy a 3 month visa in advance for 30 quid, which saves the hassle of border crosses if you plan to stay there for a while.

The rest of my travels were all land crossings.In Laos I bought one on the border that lasted a month which I had no problems with.

In Vietnam I bought one in Laos,which took a couple of days to come through and was easy enough.

Cambodia I got one from Vietnam easily enough.

Going back into Thailand from Cambodia I didn't have a Visa and they didn't ask for proof of onward travel but they can and there are signs all over the border cross saying you will need proof of onward travel.When I had to do a border run back into Cambodia, I went to get a stamp in my passport to allow me to stay another 30 days and the guy asked for proof of onward travel out of Thailand. I didn't have any and he said give me 500 Baht and I will let you through so I gave him that.

Most of the people who I talked to seemed to have trouble in Cambodia doing Visa runs  from Thailand as the border control make it up as they go along.