Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

LiquidAK

I think this deserves it's own thread. It's not perfect, far from it. But despite the fact that it took over 14 years to make, it's actually really good. It was never gonna live up to the massive hype after the wait, but if you just take it as you would any new release, it's a class album. A tad overproduced (14 years will do that...), but still class.

Better, There Was a Time, I.R.S. and Prostitute stand out imo as a good example of why the New GNR, while not as good as the old, still knows how to make great music. Say what you want about Axl Rose, but for the most part, he still knows how to make some great rock songs.

Only thing that worries me now is that people will rate it poorly based on the fact that they were expecting it to be the greatest album ever made after all that time that Axl and co. spent tinkering with it. It's not the greatest album ever made. Far from it, in fact it's not even the best album that Guns N' Roses have ever made. However personally, I really enjoyed listening to it.

So if you've heard it, what did you think?

Guest Anth.Nufc

I have it really like it. I mean people will say no slash etc but its still a really good album i think it has a bit of old sound with a new sound added.  I have waited 14yrs for it too :lol: :thup:

I have it really like it. I mean people will say no slash etc but its still a really good album i think it has a bit of old sound with a new sound added.  I have waited 14yrs for it too :lol: :thup:

Haha, I'm a very recent Guns fan, so I've not been waiting that long at all really. 2 or 3 years. with AFS and UYI 1&2 still fresh to me.

They finally released it?  :lol:

Yeah, promotion for it has been shit though, not suprised you didn't know. Still 300k so far is pretty good going with next to no advertisment.

Guest Anth.Nufc

Haha, I'm a very recent Guns fan, so I've not been waiting that long at all really. 2 or 3 years. with AFS and UYI 1&2 still fresh to me.

They finally released it?  :lol:

Yeah, promotion for it has been s*** though, not suprised you didn't know. Still 300k so far is pretty good going with next to no advertisment.

Yeah the promotion has been shit think they are 200k behind kayne west. As for Dr Pepper they are getting sued,

Guns N' Roses' and Axl Rose's lawyer has castigated Dr Pepper, accusing the soda maker of failing to deliver on its "Chinese Democracy" (Black Frog/Geffen) free soda promotion, which the band was never involved in.

Beverly Hills-based Alan Gutman has written to Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. president and CEO Larry Young, accusing the company of operating an online redemption scheme that was an "unmitigated disaster which defrauded customers." Gutman is demanding that Dr Pepper makes good on its offer by extending the period for the offer; he also wants full-page apologies in The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal.

Gutman's letter makes clear his view that the original campaign was an "exploitation of my clients' legendary reputation and their eagerly awaited album" and "brazenly violated our clients' rights." He is also seeking an "appropriate payment... for the unauthorized use and abuse of their publicity and intellectual property rights," with the threat of further action if an acceptable offer is not made.

"Now is the time to clean up the mess," says Gutman.

Rose did not take any action when, in March, Dr Pepper put out a press release offering free soda to any American if the long-awaited Guns N' Roses album came out before the end of 2008. However, Rose has reacted to the news that fans have been unable to get their soda following the Nov. 23 release of "Chinese Democracy."

Dr Pepper's Web servers crashed under the demand for coupons that could be exchanged for free drinks. Dr Pepper extended the Nov. 23 promotion for an extra day, but the company's Web site was inaccessible for a substantial part of it.

"Dr Pepper was completely unprepared for the traffic to its site," says Gutman in the letter, describing the promotion as a "complete fiasco."

Gutman adds: "The entire point of your campaign has been to use public interest in Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses as a lure to increase consumer awareness of Dr Pepper." He further states that "mocking undertones" in the online promotional content represent a "raw and damaging commercial exploitation of our clients' rights," adding that the association is "even more damaging in light of your shoddy execution of your disingenuous giveaway offer."

The soda maker declined to comment. Dr Pepper was considering extending the promotion, according to a source close to the situation. :lol:

So whats the new sound  :undecided:

Listened to it a couple of times now. Obviously not as good as the Guns and Roses of old but still a hell of a lot better than most of the toss out there. Some real quality tracks in there, the likes of Better, Street of Dreams, There was a Time and Prostitiute really stood out. Being a bit of a heavy rock fan I also appreciated Shackler's Revenge.

Well worth a listen, was expecting the worst but was pleasantly suprised in the end.

Listened to it a couple of times now. Obviously not as good as the Guns and Roses of old but still a hell of a lot better than most of the toss out there. Some real quality tracks in there, the likes of Better, Street of Dreams, There was a Time and Prostitiute really stood out. Being a bit of a heavy rock fan I also appreciated Shackler's Revenge.

Well worth a listen, was expecting the worst but was pleasantly suprised in the end.

Not sure whether to listen to it. My youth WAS G'n'R. To me, they started dying when Izzy left, then rolled over after the Illusion tour.

Just glad I got to see them live.