Mumbai Massacre!

Threelegs

Havent seen a thread on here about this. Terrible stuff. Looks like a terrioist group has gone on a killing spree killing westerners, in the upmarket section of Mumbai! 100 people at least confirmed dead.

Sorry the below is Aussie Skewed. But it will put India back a bit I think. No cricket touring probably too.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=673962

Officials said they were checking unconfirmed reports two Australians may have been killed in the simultaneous attacks on two luxury hotels, a restaurant, a railway station and other sites in Mumbai on Wednesday.

A 49-year-old Australian man is among more than 100 killed, the Press Trust of India said, along with a Japanese national.

A young Sydney woman has undergone surgery after she was shot through the leg, the bullet shattering her femur. Her boyfriend from Townsville suffered flesh wounds from bullets that grazed his leg.

Survivors have said the attacks were targeted at Westerners, with gunmen rounding up terrified tourists and demanding to know their nationalities.

Parts of Mumbai remain under siege, with an unknown number of foreigners being held by the terrorists in buildings surrounded by Indian special forces.

Mr Rudd described the attacks as murderous and said little was known about the Deccan Mujahedeen, the group claiming responsibility for the attacks.

"But whichever group has perpetrated this attack, they are cowards, absolute cowards and murderers," he said.

Mr Rudd joined a chorus of condemnation, as images of blood pooled on the floor at Mumbai's main Chhatrapati Shivaji railway station and at the five-star Taj Mahal and Oberoi Trident hotels filled news bulletins.

The attack on India's stability, peace and democracy reminded the nation that international terrorism was far from defeated, Mr Rudd said.

Officials said one member of a 12-person NSW government trade mission, which had been staying at the Oberoi Trident, remained unaccounted for.

Another of the delegates, Garrick Harvison, an export manager for winery Yarraman Estate, was on Thursday holed up in his hotel room waiting to be rescued.

The attacks have threatened to derail a lucrative tournament involving Shane Warne and other cricket stars.

Cricket Australia (CA) put an immediate halt on travel plans for next week's super-rich Champions Twenty20 League involving Warne, Test stars Mike Hussey, Matthew Hayden and Shane Watson, and the West Australian and Victorian state teams.

"We are basically on temporary hold while we assess the situation, while we get expert advice and while we consult all of the parties involved," a CA spokesman said.

"I'm shocked," Warne said in Melbourne.

"We are heading to Mumbai and that (the Taj Mahal) is the hotel we are staying at. I don't think we will be going now - why would you?"

The father of Kate Anstee, the Sydney woman shot as she dined at Mumbai's Cafe Leopold, has praised the heroic actions of her boyfriend David Coker.

Chris Anstee said the 24-year-old could have died had Mr Coker, 23, not carried her to safety.

"They were just sitting there and a whole lot of guys, four or five guys, just opened fire with machine guns," Mr Anstee told AAP.

"Dave has been very quick-witted and level-headed. He grabbed Kate and picked her up."

Mr Coker's father John said his son had told him how the scene played out.

"He lay on top of her until the shooting stopped and then picked her up and carried her outside and saw a gunman about 15 metres away and said he'll never forget the look - (he) looked at him and (the gunman) looked at David and he said 'he didn't shoot me dad'."

The couple had only been in Mumbai for a few hours when gunmen attacked. Ms Anstee has undergone surgery on her shattered leg. She will remain in intensive care while doctors wait for her condition to stabilise before they operate again.

Mr Coker is also in hospital after suffering minor bullet and shrapnel wounds. Their mothers plan to fly to India on Friday to be with them in hospital.

Mr Coker said they had tried to flee when shooting broke out but he quickly realised Ms Anstee was not behind him.

"I turned around and she was crawling out the door because she couldn't walk," he told The Courier-Mail. "I grabbed her and got out of there as soon as possible.

"They (the terrorists) looked just like boys. They are on a rampage - it's full-on."

Australian actress Brooke Satchwell hid inside a tiny bathroom cupboard for about an hour to escape gunfire at the Taj Mahal hotel.

"It was really terrifying. There were people getting shot in the corridor. There was someone dead outside the bathroom," she told the Ten Network.

Her partner, film editor David Gross, told how he and a group of other Australians had huddled "silent like mice for five hours" as they listened to the gunbattle raging inside the hotel.

But when they realised the gunmen were outside the door of the function room where the group had holed themselves up, they began tearing down the curtains and fashioned a 20-metre long makeshift rope.

Minutes later they had smashed open the window of their upstairs haven and shimmied down to the debris-littered street. Then they ran for their lives.

"We started sliding out. At this stage there were embers dropping down from the burning storeys above, there was glass all down the bottom," Gross told ABC radio.

"We just kept running until we were past it all ..."

Gross said the hours inside the Taj Mahal had been terrifying - the gunmen had blocked the hotel's exits and the fire escapes were locked.

"We were basically forced into the corner ... we were holed up there with probably about 75 to 100 people," he said.

"We started getting furniture, kitchen appliances ... pushing as much stuff against the doors to barricade ourselves inside that area.

"... there were hundreds of rounds being fired and we all suddenly just realised that they were coming this way and we weren't going to stop them."

Australian man Steve Smith said he saw two gunmen toss grenades into a restaurant at the Taj Mahal where he was having a beer just hours earlier.

"Then they opened fire for about 10 minutes with AK-47s (semi-automatic assault rifles)," Mr Smith told the Seven Network.

An Australian woman due to marry in Mumbai in four days said the city was in chaos.

"The most tragic thing is that for the first time ever they are targeting big-time foreigners and five-star hotels," Chloe Papazahariakis told the Nine Network.

Her father Nick said he saw a bystander shot by terrorists just 10 metres from where they were dining.

The federal government is attempting to contact all 300 Australians registered as travelling in Mumbai.

Qantas confirmed its flight to Mumbai on Friday and said it stood ready to help evacuate Australians from India.

Islamic terrorists yet again

These people are essentially attention whores.  They pull these violent stunts (using stupid kids) to get their names in the western papers.  The object isn't to terrorize but to keep their own profile up just as people focus on other issues, the economy and a less divisive admin on the US.  People struggle all over the world but  these assholes think they are important enough to murder all those innocent people just to draw attention to their own angst ridden religious sect.  A tiny permanently angry minority of violent thugs we all have to put up with.     

These people are essentially attention whores.   They pull these violent stunts (using stupid kids) to get their names in the western papers.  The object isn't to terrorize but to keep their own profile up just as people focus on other issues, the economy and a less divisive admin on the US.  People struggle all over the world but  these assholes think they are important enough to murder all those innocent people just to draw attention to their own angst ridden religious sect.  A tiny permanently angry minority of violent thugs we all have to put up with.      

you serious ?

These people are essentially attention whores.   They pull these violent stunts (using stupid kids) to get their names in the western papers.  The object isn't to terrorize but to keep their own profile up just as people focus on other issues, the economy and a less divisive admin on the US.  People struggle all over the world but  these assholes think they are important enough to murder all those innocent people just to draw attention to their own angst ridden religious sect.  A tiny permanently angry minority of violent thugs we all have to put up with.      

you serious ?

Absolutely.  This could just be some isolated, domestic Indian group, but I'm assuming that given how coordinated these attacks are and the apparent targeting of people with British & American passports that they are foreign funded and planned.  Angry adolescents with guns and bombs may kill for the sake of it, but the people who planned it or at least funded it (al Queada or the ISI) have some sort of objective, and I think these people have basically exhausted any strategic logic that terrorism can have beyond basic publicity. 

The Australian couple mentioned on there are students of the uni I'm attending (Australian National Uni)...

But christ, 101 dead.

Havent seen a thread on here about this. Terrible stuff. Looks like a terrioist group has gone on a killing spree killing westerners, in the upmarket section of Mumbai! 100 people at least confirmed dead.

Most of the victims are Indians, only a small number of the dead are foreigners (6 I think?)

Its going to kick off now. Theres still some terrorists with hostages? They've made no demands. So I fancy them killing some more? Why do they make a big deal about the 1 britain and not everyone else?

In britain.

I stayed in the Taj Palace Hotel when I went to Mumbai a few years ago, damn scary, I was thinking what it would have been like had that happened, I can still imagine the lobby, pool and the restaurants etc. imagine what they must look like now?  :no:

Proper fucked up, the Brit they showed on BBC who had been killed was on 5 live last night. I'm not really sure what the Indian authorities can do in the wake of this. I've been to Delhi and its just so crammed with people, general security is pretty hard to enforce. As for the guys they have caught I would say kill them but then martyrdom bullshit comes in.

The pictures on getty from the train station are horrible, just a side point the normal indian police need to update their kit. Using WW2 Lee Enfields and Sten guns isn't really an option against people with Ak47's.

Guest Sniffer

Hopefully the Indians will torture the muslim shite that they captured to get every bit of knowledge they have in them to track down the planners and financiers.

Cue soft tarts to creep out of the woodwork.

Hopefully the Indians will torture the muslim shite that they captured to get every bit of knowledge they have in them to track down the planners and financiers.

Cue soft tarts to creep out of the woodwork.

Will likely find those financiers are in turn supported by us.