Should Shola be offered a new contract?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know he's not good enough, but he's proved a useful stand-in while Viduka's been injured. I doubt he'd be on much money if Ipswich and Norwich can afford him and we could probably get a fee if we needed to sell him on once he's tied down.

Along with Butt, Harper and Owen he is in the last year of his contract. For me Butt should not be a first team regular either but he's probably on a lot bigger contract.

Guest Stephen927

All depends on whether Ashley sells the club, or his ambitions if he can't sell it.

Can see Kinnear giving him a two year deal.

I'd offer him a one year deal now, because even if he wants to go come the summer at least we'll get a fee and if he plays and scores at the rate he has been we may get a few bob.

This. No point just giving him away, at the very least he is a good squad player that can cover us for injuries. Though having said that, unless he gets the amount of games hes got lately I think he will realise he really needs first team football at this stage of his career. He'll be off in the summer i reckon.

If thats the case, and as many predict Owen leaves, I think we will have a bigger issue then as our only strikers will be Martins, Carroll, and an ageing Viduka.  :crazy2:

Can those saying no give their reasoning (try and make it a bit more helpful than 'he's shit')

What has he done to deserve a new contract btw?

The only reason you can say potentially to give him one is how thread bare the squad already is, as especially as I can't see Viduka and Owen staying. But he certainly doesn't deserve one based on his performances over the last couple of seasons.

Can those saying no give their reasoning (try and make it a bit more helpful than 'he's shit')

The only reason you can say potentially to give him one is how thread bare the squad already is, as especially as I can't see Viduka and Owen staying. But he certainly doesn't deserve one based on his performances over the last couple of seasons.

My reasoning is that he wouldn't be on big money and he can come in and do a job as a target man if the first choice like Viduka is unfit, however likely it may sound. I would say we picked up some important points during Shola's spell in the first team and for a stand-in in he did a decent job.

Can those saying no give their reasoning (try and make it a bit more helpful than 'he's s***')

This.

My reasoning is that he wouldn't be on big money and he can come in and do a job as a target man if the first choice like Viduka is unfit, however likely it may sound. I would say we picked up some important points during Shola's spell in the first team and for a stand-in in he did a decent job.

Before his 57th resurgance ever since that hip operation he was absolutely woeful every time he stepped onto the pitch.

Nope.

He's improved his level of performance but it's time to let him go.

The only possible circumstances in which I'd give him a contract is if there was lots of interest in him. If clubs are sniffing about then, if he's on a contract, we'd get a fee for him. That said, I reckon the interest in him last summer was purely because he'd be very cheap with his contract winding down.

Yes.

Sorry like, but we can't afford players who can now and then give us something to leave for free, not in this economic climate.

I'd sign him up now, and play him to sell in the summer, we'd easily get £3m+ for him again from promoted clubs.

I'd sign Harper up as well, release Butt (finished) Cacapa (never had it) and Viduka (costly mistake) as overall they provide nothing to the club and have no sell on value due to their age.

Guest The Libertine

no. he's been a burden for too many years now.

i fully expect him to get a new contract, however, then do fuck all for the next 3 years.

I'd sign him up now, and play him to sell in the summer, we'd easily get £3m+ for him again from promoted clubs.

If he refused to leave last summer, there's no way he'd leave now that he's "proven himself".

Success in the premier league is squad based

Frankly, Shola isnt anything amazing, very average at best, but the lad trys, and we have got to stop letting players go, we are going through transfer windows by letting players go first, then trying to replace them, which is very difficult and risky. we need players like shola to play in cup games, or when we are desperate, and that makes he more valuable when u need to rest players and stuff

Give shola a new contract, for how long i dont know, but we need to start building a sqaud and stop letting players go without replacing them