Kinnear sees big role for Smith in New Year

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Kinnear sees big role for Smith in New Year

Nov 28 2008 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

ALAN Smith will not return to first-team action until the end of January, but Joe Kinnear believes that when he does make his comeback the forward can make a big contribution to Newcastle’s battle for Premier League survival.

With Mark Viduka in contention to come off the bench against former club Middlesbrough tomorrow, Kinnear has one more of his long-term absentees to call on as Newcastle look to put distance between themselves and the bottom three.

The good news on the Australian striker leaves Smith as the sole pre-season injury victim yet to play a part for United in this campaign – and Kinnear can only report steady progress in his battle to recover from a foot injury.

But United’s interim boss has assured his striker that when he does return in early 2009, he will have a sizeable role to play – provided he is still in charge.

That should end any speculation that Smith may be one of the players vulnerable if Kinnear decides to sell to raise funds to strengthen his squad.

“Alan’s around the place but he’s on crutches at the moment. It’s been in plaster and he had a surgical boot on it but he is walking on it so he’s making progress,” Kinnear said.

“He’d be a big one to come back but he’s at least four to six weeks away from returning to training and he’s under no pressure to rush back or anything.

“Having him back will be a big bonus for the squad. He’s versatile and he’s an experienced player who has been there, seen it and done it at the highest level. He’d be a big addition.

“When I walked in the place I said there was enough talent in the physio’s room to get into the top half of the Premier League and it’s been a real boost for us to get the likes of Michael (Owen) and – fingers crossed – Mark Viduka back in and around the team. I wasn’t sure whether I’d be around to benefit from them but the longer I’m here the better the squad has become.”

Provided Smith remains on course for a return, it may affect Kinnear’s planning for the January transfer window.

On that front an approach has been made for John Arne Riise, although his return for Roma has complicated matters, while interest has also been registered in at least two more players with the potential to go straight into Newcastle’s first team. “Discussions will have to had on players who will go out nearer the time because so much can change. It very much depends on injuries and the likes of Mark and Alan coming back into the team,” he said.

“Those guys are really experienced players who lift the rest of the lads just by being around. They are good quality players with real experience and that’s the kind of thing that we need.” United will be supported by a sell-out visiting allocation of 4,000 supporters at Middlesbrough – and Kinnear has pledged that his players will match their commitment.

He said: “It really is wonderful support, the enthusiasm is incredible. It’s important that we don’t serve up any half measures when we’ve got that kind of backing.”

Meanwhile, Kinnear has been charged

with improper conduct by the Football Association for his comments about referee Martin Atkinson following Newcastle’s defeat against Fulham.

United’s interim boss accused Atkinson of being a “Mickey Mouse” official after failing to spot what he believed was a push on Cláudio Caçapa in the build-up to Fulham’s winning goal. Kinnear has since apologised for the comment, saying that he made it in the heat of the moment.

That has not been enough to save him from being slapped with an official charge.

An FA spokesman said: “The charge relates to comments made about referee Martin Atkinson in media interviews following Newcastle’s match against Fulham on November 9. Kinnear has until December 12 to respond to the charge.”

Worrying!

Guest elbee909

“Having him back will be a big bonus for the squad. He’s versatile and he’s an experienced player who has been there, seen it and done it at the highest level. He’d be a big addition."

Yes, he's certainly failed at the highest level, and if versatile equates to being equally ineffective in all areas of the pitch then yes, he's versatile too.

*tin hat on*

not worried at all with this...

either if you like it or not, smith could be an important player (considering our small squad) and if ashley doesnt spunk up any money,

think he recieves a bit unfair critisism,  he is a nice backup in my eyes.

might not give us the cutting edge a new player would have (if we where that lucky in the january window)

i can say that i would rather have him then mr i give you a penalty butt in our midfield

for the summer, a player to get rid for sure

i can say that i would rather have him then mr i give you a penalty butt in our midfield

I suppose the free kicks Smith frequently concedes just outside the penalty area are slightly less damaging than Butt conceding penaltys.

Problem is he's more likely to play them both.  :frantic:

Eughhhhhhhhhh...

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Get to fuck Kinnear http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1849/mooolr2.gif. I swear he is the biggest WUM ever.

Guest toonlass

I'm hoping this big roll involves helping Vera the tea lady open the tin of biscuits for halftime, and has nowt to do with the first team!