Kinnear sees big role for Smith in New Year

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Rich's turnaround on Nicky Butt. :laugh:

Akin to me inviting Damien Duff round for Christmas dinner next year.

Not quite that severe, like, though I will admit he's been winning me over since the back end of last season.

He still frustrates the fuck out of me with some of the things he does on the pitch, but he must be a good character to have around the place in an age where we are completely bereft of any talismen or leaders. I'm not saying he should be an automatic starter or anything, but I think he's more than worthy of his place in the squad as it stands (especially considering the current climate we're in.)

If these players aren't kept on, can people really see us attracting much better in the state we're in?

What planet are people living on?

We're still an attractive club to young players coming through from smaller clubs. Take a look in the Championship and you'll see plenty of players as good or better than Nicky Butt.

For one example, have a look at Jack Cork.

To use Smith as an example - in order to keep things somewhat on track - if reports were right over the summer then KK was desperate to keep him as much for his attitude/presence about the place than anything. He obviously wasn't a first team player under Keegan when all were fit but he recognised the benefit of having players of his type around the club and obviously put a lot of stock into it.

I think that was part of the reason he was so crestfallen at losing Milner as well, and both factors were contributory to him walking again.

Not quite that severe, like, though I will admit he's been winning me over since the back end of last season.

He still frustrates the fuck out of me with some of the things he does on the pitch, but he must be a good character to have around the place in an age where we are completely bereft of any talismen or leaders. I'm not saying he should be an automatic starter or anything, but I think he's more than worthy of his place in the squad as it stands (especially considering the current climate we're in.)

If these players aren't kept on, can people really see us attracting much better in the state we're in?

Nerve touched. :lol:

I've no problem keeping him on but he should be nowhere near the team other than emergencies. I've not seen these "very very good games" I have to be honest.

To use Smith as an example - in order to keep things somewhat on track - if reports were right over the summer then KK was desperate to keep him as much for his attitude/presence about the place than anything. He obviously wasn't a first team player under Keegan when all were fit but he recognised the benefit of having players of his type around the club and obviously put a lot of stock into it.

I think that was part of the reason he was so crestfallen at losing Milner as well, and both factors were contributory to him walking again.

Also the reason he refused to sell Barton and encouraged him to send the text to SSN then?

We're still an attractive club to young players coming through from smaller clubs. Take a look in the Championship and you'll see plenty of players as good or better than Nicky Butt.

For one example, have a look at Jack Cork.

I saw Cork in the flesh playing for Southampton at Preston recently and he did look handy (was played in a number of positions), but you've just completely proven my point about people thinking of nowt more than on-field ability.

Let's replace our vice-captain former England international (who is most definitely one of the "leaders" in our squad - as KK told us often enough and as JFK has said on numerous occasions as well) with a 19-year-old who isn't proven in the Premiership.

I'm sure that'll work a treat in the current situation we're in :thup:

I've no problem keeping him on but he should be nowhere near the team other than emergencies. I've not seen these "very very good games" I have to be honest.

You must have had your eyes closed then.

For as much as Nicky Butt is still nowhere near to being one of my "favourite players", I try not to let that blind my assessment of how he plays. Credit where it's due and all that.

Also the reason he refused to sell Barton and encouraged him to send the text to SSN then?

He obviously saw something in Barton the lengths he went to in order to keep him at the club and I'm willing to bet it wasn't entirely based on his footballing ability.

You must have had your eyes closed then.

For as much as Nicky Butt is still nowhere near to being one of my "favourite players", I try not to let that blind my assessment of how he plays. Credit where it's due and all that.

Which ones though Rich? He was canny (not much more than that) against Villa, Chelsea and Man Utd but I reckon a Premiership midfielder needs to be above average in more than three games after fourteen.

I've got nothing against him but this season has definitely been one too far, for me he's been very poor and against other Premiership midfields he's just not up to it anymore. Even he'd admit his legs have gone.

Having him back will be a big bonus for the squad. Hes versatile and hes an experienced player who has been there, seen it and done it at the highest level. Hed be a big addition."

- Joe Kinnear

In fairness, he's hardly saying he's going to walk straight back into the team is he? I think some of this outrage needs to be chanelled at the prospect of Butt getting another contract rather than Smith who's still 6 weeks away.

I disagree massively with that as well.

Anyone who thinks we can't afford to keep Nicky Butt on (especially if it's just a one year extension) is extremely, extremely deluded if you ask me. Have people learned nowt from the Gary Speed sale? Aye, his best days are behind him and his performances on the park haven't been amazing recently (though he has had some very, very good games this season), but the impact of removing someone of that type from the squad can be massively damaging.

People have to stop looking at things from simply a performance/irrational perspective. There's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

The prospect of losing Harper, Owen and Butt from the dressing room (for nowt) as much as from the pitch is a massive negative, IMO.

By the same token, these guys like to mingle with their own so while they might get on like a house on fire amongst themselves, there can sometimes be splits in the camp between senior pros and younger/foreign players.

It was similar at Liverpool and Chelsea when the foreign managers came in and started bringing overseas players in, the old guard obviously didn't like it but they were culled from the squad if they weren't of the required quality.

If the likes of Butt goes and say Guthrie takes up the reigns, I think our team will start to develop. If Guthrie isn't up to it then we need to look at getting a younger replacement for Butt in any case like Shearergol suggested.

Butt belongs at a club like Fulham or Sunderland at this stage of his career.

My turnaround hasn't been entirely swift, for the record, I've just had a search and I've got positive comments about him dating back to August 2007 from me on here! Singled him out for praise in the 2-0 win against Sunderland last season as well! Can't be arsed to delve deeper than that for anything pre-this season, but he's been winning me over (along with Oba) for a good while now.

As for this season I'm thinking Man Utd and Bolton in particular where he was very solid in there for us, also Chelsea/Villa were two good games. He was the pick of a bad bunch in the midfield at Fulham and Sunderland (although I admit he was hardly "very, very good", especially in the latter where he played half-crocked and should have been subbed towards the end) and I thought he was good at Everton too (particularly in the 2nd half).

He has had a few stinkers as well mind, I'm not denying that. (Although I still think he's been better than Guthrie and Barton on the whole this season.)

For those wanting shot ASAP/claiming he should be "emergency", though, like yourself - at the current time who would you honestly pick in there ahead of him? I genuinely think he picks himself at the minute, such is the lack of options in the squad.

“Having him back will be a big bonus for the squad. He’s versatile and he’s an experienced player who has been there, seen it and done it at the highest level. He’d be a big addition."

- Joe Kinnear

In fairness, he's hardly saying he's going to walk straight back into the team is he? I think some of this outrage needs to be chanelled at the prospect of Butt getting another contract rather than Smith who's still 6 weeks away.

Anyone who thinks we can't afford to keep Nicky Butt on (especially if it's just a one year extension) is extremely, extremely deluded if you ask me. Have people learned nowt from the Gary Speed sale? Aye, his best days are behind him and his performances on the park haven't been amazing recently (though he has had some very, very good games this season), but the impact of removing someone of that type from the squad can be massively damaging.

People have to stop looking at things from simply a performance/irrational perspective. There's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

The prospect of losing Harper, Owen and Butt from the dressing room (for nowt) as much as from the pitch is a massive negative, IMO.

By the same token, these guys like to mingle with their own so while they might get on like a house on fire amongst themselves, there can sometimes be splits in the camp between senior pros and younger/foreign players.

It was similar at Liverpool and Chelsea when the foreign managers came in and started bringing overseas players in, the old guard obviously didn't like it but they were culled from the squad if they weren't of the required quality.

If the likes of Butt goes and say Guthrie takes up the reigns, I think our team will start to develop. If Guthrie isn't up to it then we need to look at getting a younger replacement for Butt in any case like Shearergol suggested.

You could be right, of course, as neither of us really know what goes on behind closed doors at NUFC, but as far as I recall KK was all for giving him an extension (along with Harper and Owen) which was/is good enough for me.

If I was confident we could replace him with someone a bit younger and of an undoubted higher quality then I would agree that it might be time to call it a day, but I honestly think we'd just end up worse off.

Hopefully he'll stick around until the new owners/manager come in and I'll be happy to bow to their judgement on him, but personally I feel he could be an important player for us for this season and beyond, although by no means an automatic starter (as he seems to be now.)

My turnaround hasn't been entirely swift, for the record, I've just had a search and I've got positive comments about him dating back to August 2007 from me on here! Singled him out for praise in the 2-0 win against Sunderland last season as well! Can't be arsed to delve deeper than that for anything pre-this season, but he's been winning me over (along with Oba) for a good while now.

As for this season I'm thinking Man Utd and Bolton in particular where he was very solid in there for us, also Chelsea/Villa were two good games. He was the pick of a bad bunch in the midfield at Fulham and Sunderland (although I admit he was hardly "very, very good", especially in the latter where he played half-crocked and should have been subbed towards the end) and I thought he was good at Everton too (particularly in the 2nd half).

He has had a few stinkers as well mind, I'm not denying that. (Although I still think he's been better than Guthrie and Barton on the whole this season.)

For those wanting shot ASAP/claiming he should be "emergency", though, like yourself - at the current time who would you honestly pick in there ahead of him? I genuinely think he picks himself at the minute, such is the lack of options in the squad.

I'd be inclined to try Geremi in there though I don't have a huge problem with Butt being picked at the moment - it should be Guthrie and Barton though when Barton's fit imo.

Having him back will be a big bonus for the squad. Hes versatile and hes an experienced player who has been there, seen it and done it at the highest level. Hed be a big addition."

- Joe Kinnear

You could be right, of course, as neither of us really know what goes on behind closed doors at NUFC, but as far as I recall KK was all for giving him an extension (along with Harper and Owen) which was/is good enough for me.

If I was confident we could replace him with someone a bit younger and of an undoubted higher quality then I would agree that it might be time to call it a day, but I honestly think we'd just end up worse off.

Hopefully he'll stick around until the new owners/manager come in and I'll be happy to bow to their judgement on him, but personally I feel he could be an important player for us for this season and beyond, although by no means an automatic starter (as he seems to be now.)

I know when Souness went and Nigel Pearson took temporary charge Nicky Butt was one of the first to start pointing fingers at certain players (it didn't take much to work out Zog was one of them) and again we have leaks from the dressing room casting doubt over the same player. There does seem to be a bit of an old boys club at Newcastle and I think we suffer from it as much as benefit.

If Nicky Butt's type of player is so essential it makes you wonder why Arsene Wenger isn't in for him? Don't they need a leader in midfield who can protect the back four? Will he swoop with a shock £1.5 m bid in January?  :o

or maybe not.

:doh:

Howay Tron, that Wenger stuff is absolutely nonsensical and irrelevant. Awful form of argument. It's not Wenger's style, for one thing...

You could say similar about Oba, Jonas or Given in relation to any bigger club than us which needs a certain thing - three players I'd presume most would call genuinely "essential". However, I doubt the big four will be making a bid for any of them come January, either.

Same goes for Viduka, a player who I would genuinely call an automatic first choice (note I haven't said that about Butt), I hardly think Liverpool will be looking at him to help them cover Torres.

Load of bollocks really isn't it?

He's fairly essential to us at this point in time because we're in the shit and we don't have anybody (fit) better in the position that he plays. I should think that would be enough to convince people to "lump it" instead of attempting to apply Football Manager ideologies to reality. I also think he's been our most accomplished central midfielder this season. There are times when I think "howay man Nicky, what the fuck are you playing at?" when he does some things you just wouldn't expect/shouldn't see from a player of his experience, but those times have been reducing since a couple of seasons ago.

I would like to see him phased out, but we can't just cut him out of the picture immediately (especially if we're yet to be sold still).

If some people got their way we'd have a squad of about 3.

Howay Tron, that Wenger stuff is absolutely nonsensical and irrelevant. Awful form of argument. It's not Wenger's style, for one thing...

You could say similar about Oba, Jonas or Given in relation to any bigger club than us which needs a certain thing - three players I'd presume most would call genuinely "essential". However, I doubt the big four will be making a bid for any of them come January, either.

Same goes for Viduka, a player who I would genuinely call an automatic first choice (note I haven't said that about Butt), I hardly think Liverpool will be looking at him to help them cover Torres.

Load of bollocks really isn't it?

He's fairly essential to us at this point in time because we're in the shit and we don't have anybody (fit) better in the position that he plays. I should think that would be enough to convince people to "lump it" instead of attempting to apply Football Manager ideologies to reality. I also think he's been our most accomplished central midfielder this season. There are times when I think "howay man Nicky, what the fuck are you playing at?" when he does some things you just wouldn't expect/shouldn't see from a player of his experience, but those times have been reducing since a couple of seasons ago.

I would like to see him phased out, but we can't just cut him out of the picture immediately (especially if we're yet to be sold still).

If some people got their way we'd have a squad of about 3.

That I agree with, my worry is we have been phasing him out for the last 4 years and he's still here! I thought we'd finally got shot when he went to Birmingham but no, they welched on the deal!

I know what you are saying Rich and in fact, I would agree that he's had a few decent games this season. But he's one of the players who is seriously affecting the way we play. Sooner or later we are going to have to be brave and followFergie and  Wenger's lead...get rid of the rusty, slow veterans clogging up the midfield and get some youth and movement where it matters...in the engine room.

Think Alex Ferguson when he moved on Norman Whiteside and Paul MacGrath to clear the decks for the new guard. That's what i'm talking about.

Fucking hell, a midfield of Butt, Geremi, Smith and Duff just fills me with dread.

Not one of them should be anywhere near our club. They may be great people or nice blokes or be good in the dressing room, but as midfielders they offer little (Geremi) or nothing (Butt, Smith and Duff) going forward.

TRon:

Agree with the theory, but Arsenal have done nothing but nosedive since they lost the likes of Vieira, Gilberto, Parlour, Pires, Keown because while they've been left with what is undoubtedly a better footballing squad, they've got no guile, leadership, grit or power in the engine room (and pretty much everywhere else!)

I think Wenger failed badly in that respect, although sometimes it was out of his hands (Vieira in particular). He seems to have completely neglected the physical aspect of what made the "Invincible" Arsenal team so fantastic. They could do all the pretty stuff but they had a lot of big, powerful players who had been in battles before and who were capable of handling themselves.

Are you talking about pre-Vieira though? If so, do you honestly think we've got the ability to get players like him in to replace the "old guard"? Even then, it's hardly going to be a quick-fix. A move as drastic as you're suggesting would take a few years to pay off and could end in disaster as far as the short-term goes. It'd reduce the wage bill a fair bit mind, so Ashley would be happy!

As for Whiteside/McGrath - wasn't the latter an alcoholic at the time?

That's a bit before I was aware of football mind, so my knowledge of it isn't great. (Were they replaced with Ince and Pallister?)

TRon:

Agree with the theory, but Arsenal have done nothing but nosedive since they lost the likes of Vieira, Gilberto, Parlour, Pires, Keown because while they've been left with what is undoubtedly a better footballing squad, they've got no guile, leadership, grit or power in the engine room (and pretty much everywhere else!)

I think Wenger failed badly in that respect, although sometimes it was out of his hands (Vieira in particular). He seems to have completely neglected the physical aspect of what made the "Invincible" Arsenal team so fantastic. They could do all the pretty stuff but they had a lot of big, powerful players who had been in battles before and who were capable of handling themselves.

Are you talking about pre-Vieira though? If so, do you honestly think we've got the ability to get players like him in to replace the "old guard"? Even then, it's hardly going to be a quick-fix. A move as drastic as you're suggesting would take a few years to pay off and could end in disaster as far as the short-term goes. It'd reduce the wage bill a fair bit mind, so Ashley would be happy!

As for Whiteside/McGrath - wasn't the latter an alcoholic at the time?

That's a bit before I was aware of football mind, so my knowledge of it isn't great. (Were they replaced with Ince and Pallister?)

Whiteside, McGrath and Bryan Robson made up Man U's midfield when Fergie first took over at Man U, and they were similar to some of the midfields we've had to watch such as Butt, Geremi and Barton. All quality players in their own right but collectively turgid and slow.

As for Arsenal I was talking pre-Vierra. In fact with that one signing Arsene Wenger went a long way to transforming Arsenal from an ordinairy side into a different team altogether. It just shows how one crucial signing in the centre of the pitch can have a massive impact on a side.

I would love us to sign a Viera to replace Butt, someone who bosses the midfield from box to box rather than just win the odd flash sliding tackle. In fact having watched Joey Barton since he came back in the side, I think he could play that role. He tends to sit deep these days and doesn't get up and down the pitch. But from a deep lying role he could dictate the game IMO. He could influence it far more than Butt ever will.

Reading up about Man Utd "clearing the decks" now:

During the summer of 1989, United signed two new midfielders to bolster their chances of success in the 1989 - 90 season: Nottingham Forest's Neil Webb and West Ham United's Paul Ince. Middlesbrough's 24 year old central defender Gary Pallister also joined the club for a fee of £2.3 million. On the opening day of the 1989/90 season United beat defending champions Arsenal 4-1, and there was hope that the league title would return to Old Trafford despite having being absent since 1967. But in September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against neighbours Manchester City. Things did not improve during the rest of the 1989, with many journalists and supporters calling for Ferguson to be sacked, and in November a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford. United went on a run of six defeats and two draws in eight games and Ferguson later described December 1989 as 'the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game.'

Fair play to their board for being strong enough to back Ferguson through that, like, and I suppose they've been rewarded in kind ever since. I would be all in favour of us adopting a similar method if we stayed up AND if the manager who made the changes was trusted to see it through by both the supporters AND the board.

I fear there's more chance of pigs learning to fly, though.

for all Kinnear's fake machismo he's a f***ing arse licker of the highest order

No fan of Kinnear, but don't see this as any different to the KK guide to motivating your players/making them feel wanted.

What the f*** do you expect him to say if he's asked about Smith?

Precisely. Not a great deal of difference between what Kinnear has said there, and Keegan said here...

"I definitely think there's a lot more to come from Alan," Keegan said. "He knows that and we know that and that's what we're working to do. He's got a lot of desire.

"If he didn't have any desire I'd say you're wasting your time. Desire and hard work usually means you can turn it around. I've known lots of players turn themselves around, I know Alan will."

The former Leeds and Manchester United player has failed to score a senior goal for the club in 37 appearances since leaving Old Trafford a year ago but Keegan is convinced he can rehabilitate the one-time England international.

"I'm not going to try and tell this crowd what to do," Keegan said. "It's a very knowledgeable crowd. They're the first to cheer if a player scores a goal and sometimes they show their feelings.

"They've got every right to do that, they pay their money. Thirty-one thousand here for a friendly game delayed for two hours is tremendous. There's a lot of good things."

As for suggestions Smith could still be on the move to Merseyside, Keegan said: "Alan Smith is a Newcastle player and that's it. He may not always be the best player on the pitch but no one will try harder."

Obviously though, Keegan is just trying to raise a player's confidence, while Kinnear means he wants to start him centre-forward week-in week-out if you read some of the drivel on here.

No fan of Kinnear, but don't see this as any different to the KK guide to motivating your players/making them feel wanted.

Precisely. Not a great deal of difference between what Kinnear has said there, and Keegan said here...

"I definitely think there's a lot more to come from Alan," Keegan said. "He knows that and we know that and that's what we're working to do. He's got a lot of desire.

"If he didn't have any desire I'd say you're wasting your time. Desire and hard work usually means you can turn it around. I've known lots of players turn themselves around, I know Alan will."

The former Leeds and Manchester United player has failed to score a senior goal for the club in 37 appearances since leaving Old Trafford a year ago but Keegan is convinced he can rehabilitate the one-time England international.

"I'm not going to try and tell this crowd what to do," Keegan said. "It's a very knowledgeable crowd. They're the first to cheer if a player scores a goal and sometimes they show their feelings.

"They've got every right to do that, they pay their money. Thirty-one thousand here for a friendly game delayed for two hours is tremendous. There's a lot of good things."

As for suggestions Smith could still be on the move to Merseyside, Keegan said: "Alan Smith is a Newcastle player and that's it. He may not always be the best player on the pitch but no one will try harder."

Obviously though, Keegan is just trying to raise a player's confidence, while Kinnear means he wants to start him centre-forward week-in week-out if you read some of the drivel on here.

Keegan was obviously lying about smith, LYING TO THE FANS!!!!

Difference is we trusted Keegan. That's what it boils down to.

Guest Jawesome

Keegan could have said what he wanted at the time.  If he'd have came out and said that he was a gay hippie who lived out of a cardboard box on the monument, people would still have loved him.