80% chance of keeping Michael Owen?

Dave

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/11/28/kinnear-i-will-try-to-keep-michael-owen-at-nufc-72703-22362701/

NEWCASTLE United boss Joe Kinnear has revealed he will make contract talks with Michael Owen one of his main priorities after landing the Toon job.

Kinnear will be in charge until the end of the season and has also vowed to improve the squad after claiming he has been backed by Mike Ashley.

Speaking on the Owen situation, Kinnear said: "I spoke to Michael first because he is captain and then I sat down with the rest of the players.

“Now I have permission to address it.

“I will be trying to sort out Nicky Butt and Michael Owen.

“I have spoke to Michael he is prepared to listen to what I have to say.

“If I can be blunt, it makes sense that we need to protect the valuation of the club.

“We need to protect the club.

“I explained it to Mike to protect the assets he has already got.

“It’s in my power to sit down and talk with you and every other player.

"I hope to have 80% chance of keeping Michael Owen, but I need to sit down properly and talk to him."

Kinnear also feels he can now think clearly about transfers after landing the job. He said:  “I was unsure about things now I can concentrate on transfers.

“I have spoken to the owner and we need to strengthen.

“I have told the owner, and he has backed me up.

“He is behind me."

Yet Kinnear kept it real regarding Newcastle's league position.

He added: "We are in a relegation fight now.

"We need to get the results we need and get out of it."

:lol:

Dream on Joe.

Kinnear can only give it a shot. If horse boy wants to do a runner then so be it. IF Owen was to come out and sign a new deal and say as club captain he's committed to turning the club round, then i think a lot of folk would have a better opinion of him.

However, its a big If.

If he says he's off then Joe would be well advised to never let him wear the armband again.

Owen will keep stringing Joe along and Joe will keep blabbing how certain he is he can get a deal done, but nothing will happen until Owen sees if he can get an offer from one of the better placed clubs.

As for Butt, I can't see how the powers that be will be prepared to offer him another contract if they are stalling over Owen's. Butt must be one of the bigger earners at the club and at his age should not be offered another big pay day.

The only clubs i see being in for Owen are Villa, Man City and Spurs. Will he lower his earnings with Spurs and Villa and will he be Hughes first choice striker at Man City.

I see circumstances that OWen will stay.

Guest Stephen927

Kinnear can only give it a shot. If horse boy wants to do a runner then so be it. IF Owen was to come out and sign a new deal and say as club captain he's committed to turning the club round, then i think a lot of folk would have a better opinion of him.

However, its a big If.

If he says he's off then Joe would be well advised to never let him wear the armband again.

:lol:

Does this mean that Owen wasn't offered a contract when that story broke that he was stalling over wage demands? Hmm.

We've already offered him a contract of something like 120k a week to my knowledge. It was announced on SSN yellow ticker style in a kind of "well we've offered the contract, if you don't take it our hands are clean" kinda way.

Guest Stephen927

We've already offered him a contract of something like 120k a week to my knowledge. It was announced on SSN yellow ticker style in a kind of "well we've offered the contract, if you don't take it our hands are clean" kinda way.

Yeah thats the one I'm on about, glad I haven't just imagined it :p

I'm now just wondering when that was, was Kinnear manager when that news item broke?

Mere propaganda.

I'd be amazed if he signs a new contract and I'm sure his agent is already going around to see if anyone is interested.

Liverpool need strikers, with Torres looking injury prone, I think they will come in with £5m to sign him in Jan. They are actually in the title hunt this year, and Owen is eligble for Europe, so its not going to be wasted money for them.

I'd be amazed if he signs a new contract and I'm sure his agent is already going around to see if anyone is interested.

Liverpool need strikers, with Torres looking injury prone, I think they will come in with £5m to sign him in Jan. They are actually in the title hunt this year, and Owen is eligble for Europe, so its not going to be wasted money for them.

Hmm, a thoughts occurred - has Owen ever played a UEFA match for us?

Hmm, a thoughts occurred - has Owen ever played a UEFA match for us?

Nope.

Considering that Allardyce (I think), Keegan, and now Kinnear have all made resigning Owen a "priority" and he still hasn't, a month before he can negotiate an exit, I think it's safe to say that he'll be gone either in January or the summer. Kinnear can prioritize whatever he likes, but I don't think that Ashley, Wise, or Owen are interested at this point.

He hopes to have an 80% chance of keeping him?

Surely he should hope for a 100% chance?

Realistically, there is a 5% chance.

Nail. Head.

If he said he DID have an 80% chance of keeping Owen, I might listen.

I'd say the chance of him staying is as close to 0 as to be not worth talking about.

Perhaps he's saying he wants Butt and Owen to stay, then Butt will stay and Owen will go and we'll claim it as a triumph that we've kept 1 of them.

Guest Stephen927

He might well sign a contract, we don't know.

There seems to be this picture painted of Michael Owen as some kind of a mercenary when he's been nowt but professional since coming here. He's had some bad luck with injuries but when fit more often than not he has done the business for us.

Encouraging that he's been involved in coaching the young players.

This issue really gets on my tits. I long for the day when this club is run along sensible, professional lines.

Player approaches the last year of his contract, he's offered a new one, he doesn't sign, you sell him. I don't care who it is, that's the way to run things. Instead, we make him the captain.

Can you imagine Ferguson or Wenger allowing one player to string us along like this?

The only way I can see Owen even considering a new contract here is if the club is sold, and since that doesn't look likely to happen in the near future then i'd say its more 80% chance him leaving than staying.

Can't expect (or blame, really) a top player to commit to another contract with the club in turmoil, owner trying to sell, no permanent manager and a very strong threat of being relegated. It's been said many times that all he really worries about is playing for England. He out of Fab's squad and it doesn't look likely he'll get it back while here.

In a perfect world, he should have been approached before the last season finished about a new contract and if he'd not signed then he should have been sold in the summer. He'd have had a year left on his contract so would have had 'some' resale value, as it is now he could either see out the rest of the season and walk for nothing or we try to sell him in Jan for anything thats offered.