Shearer turns down Magpies role

lovejoy

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4566094,00.html

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has revealed Alan Shearer turned down an invitation to join his coaching staff at St James' Park.

Kinnear, who will continue as Magpies boss until the end of the season after impressing on an interim basis, offered Shearer the chance to work with the club's strikers.

However, Shearer rejected Kinnear's overtures and the Magpies chief admits he may look for someone else to bolster his coaching staff.

"I said he'd be welcome to come in any time to give the place a lift and work with our strikers," Kinnear told The Guardian.

"He said it was a very kind offer but he wasn't ready for it yet, and I said, 'That's fine'.

"There's a possibility I might bring someone else in on the coaching front now."

Meanwhile Shearer has backed former team-mate Michael Owen to win his place back in the England set-up.

Owen has found himself out of favour with Fabio Capello in recent months with his last appearance coming in the friendly defeat to France in March.

Shearer believes his former club and international strike partner can revive his international ambitions.

"On the England front, it's a difficult one at the moment, though if it were up to me he would be in my squad, there's no doubt about that," Shearer told the Daily Telegraph.

"But you can't say anything against the England manager because most of the results he has had have been fabulous.

"But I don't think Michael Owen's international career is over."

why do they keep asking him?

What harm could it have done Shearer?

He gets to work for 6-months with the squad, gets to see what they're like in training, who's good, who's not, without the pressure of being the main man.

Then come June when Kinnear's contract is up, he's in an easy position to make a smooth transition into our manager. Think he's missed a trick tbh.

Guest The Libertine

He gets to work for 6-months with the squad, gets to see what they're like in training, who's good, who's not, without the pressure of being the main man.

Then come June when Kinnear's contract is up, he's in an easy position to make a smooth transition into our manager. Think he's missed a trick tbh.

i was just going to post something similar. i think there is more positives than negatives for shearer (and potentially the club) with this.

Shearer was never going to come in as no 2 to Kinnear, JFK just used the offer to get the heat off himself. Not that i blame him, he's got a point that there is no way Shearer could be manager under the restrtictions Kinnear's working under. Shearer is waiting for new owners if and when it happens.

Guest Stephen927

Would it have clashed with his spot on Match of the Day I wonder?

I don't think Joe should have came out and said this, would have been better being kept between him and Shearer.

i was just going to post something similar. i think there is more positives than negatives for shearer (and potentially the club) with this.

The problem with this is the press will forever be putting pressure on Kinnear if results go against him and Shearer will be this giant shadow hanging over him ,tbh you can just read the headlines and imho Shearer is doing the right thing staying clear cos everyone will say "look at Shearer ready to jump in as soon as things go wrong with Kinnears running of the playing side".

Would it have clashed with his spot on Match of the Day I wonder?

I don't think Joe should have came out and said this, would have been better being kept between him and Shearer.

No it seems motd is gone next season as it has gone to ITV again unless i am mistaken.

Can't blame Shearer.

Wouldn't want to work under an incompetent wanker like Kinnear either, personally.

Exactly right, you'd have to be absolutely desperate to work for the clueless cunts currently in charge. Obviously that's Kinnear all over but not Shearer

Guest The Wise Guy

I dont think it is more because of the fact that he doesnt want to work with Joe but rather it is because Ashley is still in the club and we all know the real feelings Shearer is having about him. Anyway, it  is not that we are desperate for him to join on board with us at the moment, Kinnear is doing a decent job and I think it would be better if things continues as it is right now.

I dont think it is more because of the fact that he doesnt want to work with Joe but rather it is because Ashley is still in the club and we all know the real feelings Shearer is having about him. Anyway, it  is not that we are desperate for him to join on board with us at the moment, Kinnear is doing a decent job and I think it would be better if things continues as it is right now.

I don't agree with anything in this post.

Guest The Wise Guy

And I disagree with you too.

And I disagree with you too.

Imagine how much simpler the world would have been if NE5 and Mick had left it at that. :(

How can people constantly view shearer as the bad guy?

Why would he want to be no 2 under Kinnear?

fucking ridiculous, NUFC keep putting him in this awkward position.

Should have just offered him the manager position, if he accepts, great, he finally gets his chance.

If he refuses, good, thats done with and stop the fucking speculation.

Guest Goalfather

What has Shearer done to prove he deserves the job in the first place?

Does he have his certificates?

A Shearer appointment is a massive gamble and any future owner will not hire a manager on raw sentiment. He has no managerial experience and we have no idea of his footballing philosophy, tactical acumen or man management skills.

Shearer could have spent some time coaching Championship or at least a League One team, instead he is content to be a football pundit and even then his analysis never extends beyond the obvious. Yet there seems to be a general feeling that the job is his whenever he deigns to take it 

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4566094,00.html

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has revealed Alan Shearer turned down an invitation to join his coaching staff at St James' Park.

Kinnear, who will continue as Magpies boss until the end of the season after impressing on an interim basis, offered Shearer the chance to work with the club's strikers.

However, Shearer rejected Kinnear's overtures and the Magpies chief admits he may look for someone else to bolster his coaching staff.

"I said he'd be welcome to come in any time to give the place a lift and work with our strikers," Kinnear told The Guardian.

"He said it was a very kind offer but he wasn't ready for it yet, and I said, 'That's fine'.

"There's a possibility I might bring someone else in on the coaching front now."

Meanwhile Shearer has backed former team-mate Michael Owen to win his place back in the England set-up.

Owen has found himself out of favour with Fabio Capello in recent months with his last appearance coming in the friendly defeat to France in March.

Shearer believes his former club and international strike partner can revive his international ambitions.

"On the England front, it's a difficult one at the moment, though if it were up to me he would be in my squad, there's no doubt about that," Shearer told the Daily Telegraph.

"But you can't say anything against the England manager because most of the results he has had have been fabulous.

"But I don't think Michael Owen's international career is over."

why do they keep asking him?

Probably because he's already getting Rob Lee to do the groundwork in interviews for him taking over, so he obviously fancies it.

I presume he turned down this offer as either he only wants to be no.1 or doesn't want to come in under this owner (or both)