Big Man/ Little Man

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

We are not fluent enough to play two small forwards, so JK has got to grow a pair and drop one of them or do what i would do and play Martins as an out and out old fashioned left winger. Jonas does the defensive work on the right so Martins could have license to cheat a little

For me it would be

..........Viduka...........Owen

Martins............................

Proof that the need for this is great is that we looked far more likely to score with Ameobi playing, as we very rarely get round the back of teams

Viduka - Martins is the best partnership at the club for a 4-4-2. Owen may or may not be a better individual player but there's no partnership with him in it that is better.

want to see the 4-3-3, clearly the best formation for what we have.

Guest Stephen927

The only way in my eyes that Martins and Owen can be on the pitch at the same time is in a 4-3-3 alongside either Viduka or Ameobi.

Tbh, i really wouldn't want to be in Kinnear's situation after this match. He's got a right couple of headscratchers to deal with now that: Owen's returned, Viduka's returned, N'Zogbia's returned.

In fairness i don't think there's an awful lot in the whole "we can't score goals" idea (i know no one's saying that), we've not scored in two games which were both hard away fixtures. Prior to that we were scoring two goals every game just about.

However, now that he's got some of these players back, it's changed things and we're at risk of ruining our goalscoring exploits - even though the returning individuals are better footballers than those they're replacing.

Does he stick with 4-4-2? If so, does he keep restricting Jonas by keeping him on the right? Also, who the hell does he play upfront?

Or i mean, does he focus his tactics on Michael Owen? If so - does he try the 4-3-3?

Kind of a nice problem to have, but we've been scoring lots of goals so we in danger of breaking something that doesn't need fixing. If Kinnear is ever gonna prove the likes of me wrong, then it's time he showed some balls and makes some hard and correct decisions.

For me - Owen is actully the player id drop if i had to. You look at the partnerships in the team and for me the Viduka -Martins offers the most  to the team.

Owen Martin - no hold up play or ariel ability

Owen Vidulka - No pace for counter attack.

Viduka - Matrins - you have hold up play, pace,  and ariel ability.

Ideally id have all 3 and revert to the 433 which is the best sytem ive seen at the club for a long while. Dont think kinnear has the bollocks though.

Guest Stephen927

For me - Owen is actully the player id drop if i had to. You look at the partnerships in the team and for me the Viduka -Martins offers the most  to the team.

Ideally id have all 3 and revert to the 433 which is the best sytem ive seen at the club for a long while. Dont think kinnear has the bollocks though.

Kinnear seems to be in a comfort zone to an extent, don't think he'll change anything radically incase he fucks up any chance he thinks he might have of a long term deal.

Agree with all of that basically.

Guest Heneage

Agreed but who goes in midfield three?

Viduka looked bright today, Owen looked so disinterested even after thechange and his big man pertner came on, should have been Owen off not Oba. All three together did oook okay last season but if Owen is going then lets work on the Martins Viduka partnership.

WARNING: UBER-POST

If we're hell-bent on 4-4-2, and 4-4-2 only, then i'd drop Owen aswell tbh.

The 4-3-3 would be best for all parties really, especially now that Viduka's back.

With the squad as it is at the moment (ie, form and injuries all considered), i'd go...

Given

Beye   Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Geremi   Butt   Jonas

Owen

Martins       Viduka

... a la Keegan. I know i'm generally one to harp on about how a consistent line-up, and continuity within the line-up and the tactics, is more profitable for success - and alternating to the 4-3-3 kinda throws that out of the window.

But in fairness, this coming weekend is the time to 'turn over a new leaf'. We've finally found performances from the defense, so we've got that building block. From an attacking sense, although we've managed goals, it's been stop-start personnel wise. We've got all of our best players back now, bar Joey, and we can put them into the system we know for certain works best for them.

That's the 4-3-3. Geremi, Butt, Martins, Viduka, Owen - they are all best for themselves, and for the team, in this system. I think Jonas would appreciate it too cos he'd be on the left.

That said, i dunno why i'm even bothering to discuss it cos it isn't going to happen. It's going to be 4-4-2 and therefore i'd go:

Given

Beye  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Jonas    Geremi  Butt    N'Zogbia

Martins  Viduka

Keep the wings like that for a couple weeks but if Jonas doesn't pick up then i'd switch him to the left and stick Gezza doon the right. Either way, if Jonas and Zog are both in the team, then Geremi definitely needs to be aswell, because he's just about the only player in the squad that i've got complete faith to lift a ball into the box with any true accuracy.

Agreed but who goes in midfield three?

For me Jonas offers enough defensively to be played on the left of the 3 man mid, with Guthrie on the right and Barton in the middle.

Using  what we have at the moment, Id have Jonas/Guthrie  Butt/Guthrie  Geremi/Guthrie.

Guest Stephen927

What a top post by the Yorkster.  :clap:

I'm not sure Jonas could play through the middle. In the Premiership you don't get a lot of time on the ball through the middle, unless he was to stretch the play to the flank but that depends on how you interpret what that midfield three should be doing.

-----------------Given

Beye------Colo----------Bass----------Jose

----Jonas-------Guth--------Barton-

------------------Owen

-------Oba--------------------Vids

OR

-----------------Given

Beye------Colo----------Bass---------Jose

jonas-----Guth----------Bart--------Zoggy

-----------Duke------------Oba