Not enough goals in the team?

TRon

I mentioned this before, but we are relying too much on the strikers for goals. If this continues, we might have to go back to 4-3-3 for me. I know we have got two ok results but we aren't going to keep clean sheets every week. I don't think any of the midfielders are looking to get in the box, although Zog might do that if he gets a few games. We couldn't half do with a Lampard or Gerrard to steal in and grab a few.

Guest Stephen927

This is hopefully where Barton should fit in.

I don't know whether it's a case of Kinnear telling the central midfielders to sit back or whether its a case of confidence and not being the one who takes a chance which could lead to the team having a gaping hole through the middle.

Even if Butt or Guthrie just got forward, we'd find that the second ball would have a far better chance of falling to us than the opposition.

It was massive losing Barton, really.

I think there's goals in N'Zogbia, for what it's worth. Again this another N'Zogbia-related 'whatif', but i reckon he'd have had a similar goals record to the likes of Robert (certainly Nobby) if he'd been our official left-winger for the last few years. Zog showed glimpses of his 05/06 self today tbh with those darts into the box. If he's dropped for Duff i'll be absolutely fucking irate. So obviously offers more than the Irish waster.

Barton and N'Zogbia are the only non strikers in our squad that you think can grab a goal here and there.

Jonas' track record indicates that its not a strong point.

The real issue is there's been nobody in the team for a while now that can lead the line with his back to goal and link the play, allowing the midfielders to get forward and feed off of him. Viduka can do that, but in a  4-4-2 he needs pace alongside him and I can't see Owen being left out.

Really hope we get the 4-3-3 going. It's the only system that makes sense with the current players.

Of course, Keegan wouldn't have known this or anything because he's not tactically any good. Just a cheque book manager who told the lads to go out and attack and hope for the best. (That's for Tooj. :pow: )

I aslo thought Barton would be the missing link, but in the games he played before injury this season he sat deep alongside Nicky Butt. I don't know if this is tactical but even today as Mick said in the match thread, Guthrie and Bitt seemed to be glued together. One of them surely has to support the attack when we have the ball, and it shouldn't be Butt.