Owen's overall game

Guest neesy111

Guest neesy111

despite him being a good finisher, does he offer anything else

hardly got a touch first half,

not got much pace,

can't be used as a target man,

not really a captain as well,

then he is every manager's pet and won't get taken off at all despite other's looking more capable of scoring or him having a stinker

Guest neesy111

At the end of the day a striker's job is to score goals and he's very, very good at doing that.

not the last 2 month's, he's only had that tap in v wigan which all of us could of scored

Guest Heneage

Tbh, unless the chance is created for him, he doesn't score. At least with Martins, you can just give him the ball and he can create his own opportunities.

It's a bit of a conundrum:

If Owen gets a chance, he will score 9 out of 10 (although that number is falling....he's missed some sitters in the 2008)

Martins' toilet seat is covered in piss, but is a constant if unreliable threat. Even if he gets the chance there's no guarantee he'll even make contact with the ball..

Tbh, unless the chance is created for him, he doesn't score. At least with Martins, you can just give him the ball and he can create his own opportunities.

You would have to gently place it infront of martins though, as he doesn't even have a first touch, and I'm a Martins fan. :S

Guest neesy111

You would have to gently place it infront of martins though, as he doesn't even have a first touch, and I'm a Martins fan. :S

his first touch was excellent today for me

his first touch was excellent today for me

Ah well that's it then, new Bergkamp.

His touch is inconsistent. Look at him against the mackems, he was fucking shite. But he is young and can be improved at least, he's so damn frustrating though

At the end of the day a striker's job is to score goals and he's very, very good at doing that.

not the last 2 month's, he's only had that tap in v wigan which all of us could of scored

He hadn't played for over a month prior to that, you pleb. His record this season still stands at 6 goals in 7 starts.

Guest Heneage

I think the 3 pronged attack, with Owen just behind drifting in would really work, sadly I don't think JK likes that and prefers more stability. I give Keegan credit for seeing that.

not got much pace,

then he is every manager's pet and won't get taken off at all despite other's looking more capable of scoring or him having a stinker

In fairness to Micheal, he does have quite a good first touch.

But overall he may not offer us as much movement as Oba but by god is he a good striker. As people in this thread have said, his job is to score goals and he does it as good as anyone.

If he'd scored today I dont think this thread would exist...

We all knew Owen didnt offer anythingelse in overall play, apart from his goal scoring, when we signed him.

ATM he is pretty much useless to us because we dont have a midfield that can create anything for him, bar Jonas but he seems to have changed since JFK took charge, compared to his very brief spell under KK.

JFK is here until the end of the season and I cant see him going to KK's 4-3-3 formation from last season, we should keep with Ameobi  (however shite he is), because JFK's tactics suit him & Martins up top.

IMO, of course.

he is neat and tidy but his game is mostly centered around being in the box. create a side in which he can flourish, and let him get on with his responsibilities and he'll do them well, he'll get the ball and shift it on impeccably as soon as he can. no he wont make runs out wide, no he wont stretch defences, or make that killer pass, or dribble past players, or challenge in the air, or hold off defenders. but those are things other players should be doing, meaning that owen can stick to doing what he does best. the problem starts when the players to do those things for owen are missing or arent doing their jobs. without the support and supply he may as well be invisible.

mind you i wouldnt say he scores 9 times out of 10, more like 5 times out of 10, he misses at least as many as he scores, though the fact he gets so many chances is testament to his anticipation and movement in the box

not got much pace,

But overall he may not offer us as much movement as Oba but by god is he a good striker. As people in this thread have said, his job is to score goals and he does it as good as anyone.

Eh? Owen's movement absolutely pisses on Oba's, even if his pace doesn't.

Agree with the last sentence though. Michael Owen (as a 4-4-2 striker, anyway) is someone who'll do nowt for 90 minutes but pop up at some random point and stick it away. That said, in the 4-3-3, he looked a very accomplished footballer with a very good eye for a pass.

not got much pace,

I simply can't understand this........his movement and positional sense, as well as his touch, are some of his key assets.

Is this some other Michael Owen we're talking about here? I think it is.

EDIT: Misread, thought you said his touch wasn't good. Either way, as Mistle says, this thread wouldn't be here if he'd scored today.