Mark Viduka

Rich

http://www.football.co.uk/images/news/400x400_1207409541_spt_ai_newcastlevreading_11.jpg

Been a bit of an invisible man (or not) for the majority of his time here, much like Joey Barton who was signed around the same time as him.

Despite this, I still feel he's our single most important player when fit and in the team and he looks well trimmed-down at the minute as well.

He doesn't really feel like "our player" to me in the way I feel about the likes of Beye, Martins, Given and others (if people get what I mean there) but fitness aside there's no reason why he shouldn't cement his place up front and carve out cult hero status amongst the support. You'd imagine he should be well motivated at the moment after such a layoff and with his deal potentially running out come the summer.

More than anyone else in the squad I hope he stays fit and he repays us for the money he's had and the games he's missed. Howay The Duke!

I felt blessed that he dragged himself away from his Aussie beach and graced us with his presence today like some kind of modern day Emporer.

:laugh:

He's been in the gym for the last few months working his knackers off to get fit man! Loves the Toon and all that.

I bloody loved his post-match interview today  :lol:

Now hes back he'll give us some valuable options to play with. I'd love to see him in a 4-3-3, possibly just behind the front 2 maybe? he's great at those through balls, flicks or snap volleys :thup:

Does anyone seriously see Kinnear trying the 4-3-3 with three proper strikers on the pitch from the start?

I don't, which means I'm stuck as to who should be starting games when they're all fit and available (if that even happens :laugh:).

Still, they all have their own unique qualities and the options can only be good for us.

The 4-3-3: I don't think Kinnear will go with that unless he's forced into it (i.e. we lose more midfielders to injury).

Viduka is an automatic selection as far as I'm concerned, because an Owen/Martins partnership will not cut the mustard in this team.

It'll be Viduka/Owen with Martins as sub again, most likely, which will be more than a little unfair on Oba.

As i've said in another thread, we'll never see the 4-3-3 utilised; and if we ever did (through injuries or whatever) then it wouldn't be the same as last season. It was purely Keegan's baby.

As for Viduka, absolutely quality footballer and the whole thing is just tragic tbh. Probably never meant for Newcastle, for whatever reason. Be it now - countless injury troubles, countless club problems, generally a shit team. Or be it way back: say we'd signed him under Bobby or whatever, Shearer was already here so...

Shame Souness didn't manage to get him.

I feel the same way as you though, Rich - as if he's not 'our' player. I like him and all but it's just that feeling you get with some players you sign, i still get it with Owen in a lot of respects.

Guest optimistic nit

viduka martins would result in us playing the best football and creating a lot more chances, but owen's goals could well keep us up.

As i've said in another thread, we'll never see the 4-3-3 utilised; and if we ever did (through injuries or whatever) then it wouldn't be the same as last season. It was purely Keegan's baby.

As for Viduka, absolutely quality footballer and the whole thing is just tragic tbh. Probably never meant for Newcastle, for whatever reason. Be it now - countless injury troubles, countless club problems, generally a shit team. Or be it way back: say we'd signed him under Bobby or whatever, Shearer was already here so...

I feel the same way as you though, Rich - as if he's not 'our' player. I like him and all but it's just that feeling you get with some players you sign, i still get it with Owen in a lot of respects.

Exactly the same as me. I've never felt any kind of attachment to Michael Owen for as long as he's been here.

I just wish there was some sort of master tactician out there, that could conjure a working formula for Owen, Martins and Viduka. Cos they're all fucking brilliant players in their own right; and if we could get all three playing in tandom we'd be coasting.

The 4-3-3: I don't think Kinnear will go with that unless he's forced into it (i.e. we lose more midfielders to injury).

Viduka is an automatic selection as far as I'm concerned, because an Owen/Martins partnership will not cut the mustard in this team.

It'll be Viduka/Owen with Martins as sub again, most likely, which will be more than a little unfair on Oba.

I don't think JFK will sub Owen. think it'll be Owen/Martins again or Owen/Ameobi because Duke not being ready to start yet. Main problem is not the strikers, it is the medfield. Butt and Guthrie are creating nothing and N'Zogbia just don't pass (stupid decision at the end of the match not to pass MO :tickedoff:). May be we should start Geremi, he's shit but some of his crosses seem to find MO.

I just wish there was some sort of master tactician out there, that could conjure a working formula for Owen, Martins and Viduka. Cos they're all fucking brilliant players in their own right; and if we could get all three playing in tandom we'd be coasting.

Tooj will start fondling himself when he reads this.

Guest firetotheworks

As for Viduka, absolutely quality footballer and the whole thing is just tragic tbh. Probably never meant for Newcastle, for whatever reason. Be it now - countless injury troubles, countless club problems, generally a s*** team. Or be it way back: say we'd signed him under Bobby or whatever, Shearer was already here so...

Exactly the same as me. I've never felt any kind of attachment to Michael Owen for as long as he's been here.

Yeah I agree, I still see him as hired help.

I know it's not fashionable to say it anymore but KK did that imo - Viduka's class, Owen's finishing/positional instinct and Martins' pace, with each one compensating for the others flaws, made a lethal combination.

Guest firetotheworks

I love Viduka like, as someone said its a tragedy. He's probably got the silkiest touch I've ever seen. Sometimes it like he's slowed down time when he's moving the ball around in a tight spot.

I know it's not fashionable to say it anymore but KK did that imo - Viduka's class, Owen's finishing and Martins' pace, with each one compensating for the others flaws, made a lethal combination.

I was going to say that "the" formation never got a proper airing against class opposition, then remembered the last home game of last season against Chelsea where we were unlucky to go into half-time level at 0-0 and then had to replace Viduka at half-time with Alan Smith, which subsequently saw us fall apart and lose all rhythm/shape.

The negative of that formation was that it would only work with those three playing it (and particularly Viduka) as there is nobody else in the squad capable of playing those roles. Perhaps Jonas could do Oba's role to a degree, but there's nobody who could do what Owen or Viduka were doing in that formation.

I know it's not fashionable to say it anymore but KK did that imo - Viduka's class, Owen's finishing/positional instinct and Martins' pace, with each one compensating for the others flaws, made a lethal combination.

By jove i think you're right! :kasper:

:iamatwat:

Guest firetotheworks

I just wish there was some sort of master tactician out there, that could conjure a working formula for Owen, Martins and Viduka. Cos they're all f***ing brilliant players in their own right; and if we could get all three playing in tandom we'd be coasting.

Agree again, in a way you kind of think that in that system theres very little tactics that you need to put in because effectively you're leaving the players to play football and work things out for themselves. I remember the Reading game especially last season when it just seemed like clockwork, you had Beye and Enrique bombing forward because the opposition were shit scared of our front 3, I still think it would work if you just put that front 3 on the field and told them to just play football, leave the tactics to set pieces and let the full backs bomb forward.

I just wish there was some sort of master tactician out there, that could conjure a working formula for Owen, Martins and Viduka. Cos they're all f***ing brilliant players in their own right; and if we could get all three playing in tandom we'd be coasting.

Agree again, in a way you kind of think that in that system theres very little tactics that you need to put in because effectively you're leaving the players to play football and work things out for themselves. I remember the Reading game especially last season when it just seemed like clockwork, you had Beye and Enrique bombing forward because the opposition were shit scared of our front 3, I still think it would work if you just put that front 3 on the field and told them to just play football, leave the tactics to set pieces and let the full backs bomb forward.

The difference that Gutierrez could make in for Geremi would be massive as well, I think. He's as willing as Geremi to help out at both ends of the field and offers something completely different. Geremi was the weak link in that team during open play, for me, mainly due to the demands placed upon him by there being one less man in our midfield.

Yeah the Reading game is always the picture i've got in my mind when someone mentions the 4-3-3. I was fortuante enough to see that from Leazes Level 7 so i saw exactly how it worked and it was just brilliant. Aye, Reading were hardly brilliant but we tore them to pieces. Wish i could just repeat that six-week period, or whatever, over and over again. Best football we'd played consistently since Robson.

I know it's not fashionable to say it anymore but KK did that imo - Viduka's class, Owen's finishing and Martins' pace, with each one compensating for the others flaws, made a lethal combination.

I was going to say that "the" formation never got a proper airing against class opposition, then remembered the last home game of last season against Chelsea where we were unlucky to go into half-time level at 0-0 and then had to replace Viduka at half-time with Alan Smith, which subsequently saw us fall apart and lose all rhythm/shape.

The negative of that formation was that it would only work with those three playing it (and particularly Viduka) as there is nobody else in the squad capable of playing those roles. Perhaps Jonas could do Oba's role to a degree, but there's nobody who could do what Owen or Viduka were doing in that formation.

I actually think Duff would have made a decent back-up for Martins in that role.

Played the best football of his career there for Ireland at the start of the decade, the role would suit him as it does Oba as he's allowed sort of be on the periphery of the game and just get involved here and there and be a threat where possible while the game largely goes through Owen and Viduka.

Martins job is to provide the threat of pace in behind and consequently create more space for the others.

Was a superb system, as Wullie said it perfectly used each of the players strengths to make up for each other's weaknesses.