ipod touch

cp40

my daughter wants an apple ipod touch for xmas,...where do i get a good deal, what is the diffrence between, 8, 16, 32, gb,

what are the pitfalls, buying it on ebay, whats is a second generation? can the memory be upgraded on them?  any advice appreciated.

The GB difference is how many songs/movies/photos she can fit on it. This cannot be changed.

The second generation is exactly the same inside, and outside just has a speaker (useful for gaming but not much else), physical volume controls (on the first generation you can only control volume by touch), Nike+ support (a fitness program) and a curved back. That's it.

If I were you I'd take the saving offered by stores clearing stock of the first generation, as I don't think the upgrades are worth the extra money.

I'll have a look for some prices for you.

Approximate prices I can see at the moment:

32GB second generation: £250.00.

16GB second generation: £200.00

8GB second generation: £140.00

For first generation prices are cheaper but stock is hard to find.

Approximate prices I can see at the moment:

32GB second generation: £250.00.

16GB second generation: £200.00

8GB second generation: £140.00

ta,... is it worth getting the 8gb,... just trying to save a couple quid, got 3 kids to buy for.

For first generation prices are cheaper but stock is hard to find.

Well as I said, the capacity you require depends on how much music she has and whether she'll want to put a load of movies/TV shows on it.

I have an 8GB which is fine for me but some people have absolutely tons of music.

Also bear in mind that there's quite a lot of faffing about involved in shifting downloading music onto an iPod in a satisfactory way (it's not just a case of drag and drop like some MP3 players) but if she's reasonably savvy with technology it won't phase her.

If you go for the first gen 8GB from Argos then it'll effectively cost you £120, as you can use the voucher on something else.

The other option is a refurbished one; an 8GB first generation from Apple refurb (they're like new, expect you don't get the fancy packaging) is only £116.00 but they're out of stock and I can't promise they'll be back in before Christmas. :(

Will she be disappointed with a first generation? If so, an 8GB second will be about £35.00 more from what I can see.

The other option is a refurbished one; an 8GB first generation from Apple refurb (they're like new, expect you don't get the fancy packaging) is only £116.00 but they're out of stock and I can't promise they'll be back in before Christmas. :(

Will she be disappointed with a first generation? If so, an 8GB second will be about £35.00 more from what I can see.

ive just texted her, she rekons she wants 16gb,...dont ask me what thier doing at school that they can be texting their dads with christmas wishes btw.

The GB difference is how many songs/movies/photos she can fit on it. This cannot be changed.

The second generation is exactly the same inside, and outside just has a speaker (useful for gaming but not much else), physical volume controls (on the first generation you can only control volume by touch), Nike+ support (a fitness program) and a curved back. That's it.

If I were you I'd take the saving offered by stores clearing stock of the first generation, as I don't think the upgrades are worth the extra money.

What about Fring? Surely Skype calls via fring can be used on the new iPod Touch but not the old?

Dunno; what is it and what does it use that the 1G doesn't have? All I can think of is the new microphone thing, doesn't that work on the 1G?

I'd just use my phone anyway tbh.

Its basically like skype on ur ipod/iphone. If you dont have a speaker & mic, then you cant use it. And if you wanna call foreign, skype is useful.

Fair enough, it seems the 1G has no audio input capability whatsoever.

I'm not even 100% sure the 2G has tbh, never took a huge interest in it due to iPhone. But this is a possibility worth checking out if it is of any interest to yourself.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that if you're buying for your daughter, then it really doesn't matter between 1G and 2G. Just get the cheapest 16GB touch you can get a hold of. If thats 2G, then great, else, who cares.

What about Fring? Surely Skype calls via fring can be used on the new iPod Touch but not the old?

That would be a microphone you need. The old Touch has headphones after all, so hearing isn't the problem. No idea if the new one has a microphone, though.

I'd definitely say the volume control is worth having as you can adjust the volume in your pocket, while you have to pull out the old one, unlock it and look at the screen to do it. Of course, if you can get a 1st gen for a much lower price, sod it and buy the earphones with a volume control instead.