Is this normal (Ping)

Ashley17

That's the ping to their server. Will be different to others. Open up a DOS box (Win+R, type "cmd" and press Enter) and try pinging www.google.com, www.yahoo.com and your game servers, i.e.

ping www.google.com

Doesn't look good, though. Around 100 is about right, < 50 is very good.

Be aware that if you're downloading or especially uploading a lot, your ping will be shit because your connection is saturated. Never set BitTorrent or other P2P uploads to any more than 70-80% of your actual total upload speed.

Pinged google and got Minimum 76, Maximum 95, Average of 84.

I don't use torrents at all and I barely use limewire, youtube gets a fair bit of use but I don't know how much that would "saturate" my connection. Is there a way of "unsaturating" it?

That's not a bad ping at all. You just have a crap connection to their server. It happens. In my case, speedtest.net gives readings that are way off what my connection is actually capable of. Personally, I think it's a shite website.

It might be worth trying sites/servers you regularly use, and if they're all crap pings and your surfing/gaming is suffering, think about changing ISP. It might also be shite hardware in your neighbourhood, in which case that wouldn't help. Perhaps compare notes with neighbours who use other ISPs if it's a problem.

If you're not downloading/uploading a lot, there shouldn't be significant load on your connection, so it won't be saturated. Basically, when you max out your bandwidth, a lot of the connections get backed up or dropped, so the computer tries again and you get a slow response.

Thanks wacko, think I'll be changing ISP in January then.

Is it possible to ping my PS3? It worked fine up until about 2 weeks ago, then it suddenly went bad, which made me think I'd done my bandwidth for this month. Yet it's still bad now  ???

From the Orange Forum:

Hi,

I’ve been having the same problem for about 4 weeks now after being with Orange for over 2 years. CoD4 ping rate was over 120 and BF2 was over 300. I have resolved the issue by connecting up my old Netgear router and using that instead. Straight away after connecting it my CoD4 ping dropped to 50-60 and BF2 dropped to around 30-40.

It would seem that Orange have downloaded some new firmware/software to our Live boxes which somehow limits bandwidth to certain ports and certain times. If it was not for the free calls aboard I would have canceled my broadband and mobile phone contract. I can’t believe the way that I’ve been treated by Orange throughout this issue.

Source:http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=30&sid=4fa45b210e97a98f1be862bbca4eead5

From the Orange Forum:

Hi,

Ive been having the same problem for about 4 weeks now after being with Orange for over 2 years. CoD4 ping rate was over 120 and BF2 was over 300. I have resolved the issue by connecting up my old Netgear router and using that instead. Straight away after connecting it my CoD4 ping dropped to 50-60 and BF2 dropped to around 30-40.

It would seem that Orange have downloaded some new firmware/software to our Live boxes which somehow limits bandwidth to certain ports and certain times. If it was not for the free calls aboard I would have canceled my broadband and mobile phone contract. I cant believe the way that Ive been treated by Orange throughout this issue.

Source:http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=30&sid=4fa45b210e97a98f1be862bbca4eead5

Nice one, Cheers Lazlo!

What a bunch of quents Orange are. I'll buy another router on the way home because I'm daft. Any suggestions for a router? I'll probably go Belkin or netgear like

Orange are s***.  Thats you're problem.

Bought a router from curry's on the way home from work. Got in, had some tea, opened the box and set about setting it up. Power supply doesn't fit in the fucking router :lol: Fuck you curry's, fuck you!

So is your ping time back to normal-ish ? Playing shooters especially with a ping over 150ms is annoying.

Just hope you got sorted, if you can wire your gaming pc up (wired) and the rest of your devices make wireless

Well my ping is normal on everything except the PS3 - it's still bad even if I wire it. But then you pointed out the firmware issues Orange have implemented.

Then I purchased the router that Curry's fucked up, and I returned that today. I'll order a router tomorrow so it arrives on Monday/Tuesday and then see if my ping is back to normal for gaming.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to drag this up again:

I have cancelled Orange, and they're sending me a MAC code in 3-5 working days. What is that for?

I am planning on getting Sky Broadband. If anyone can think of a reason not to get Sky Broadband speak now or forever hold your peace!

Thanks in advance

Just to drag this up again:

I have cancelled Orange, and they're sending me a MAC code in 3-5 working days. What is that for?

I am planning on getting Sky Broadband. If anyone can think of a reason not to get Sky Broadband speak now or forever hold your peace!

Thanks in advance

a MAC code is what your new isp will ask for because you are still under contract so to speak, this code will release the line to the new broadband supplier.