Given 'I'm too good for Spurs' (or words to that effect)

Colos Short and Curlies

He's arguably as good or better at his job than Owen is at his.

Amazing how he's stayed with us for so long. If there's one player in our squad that's "too good for Newcastle," it's Shay Given, not Michael Owen.

I have been fairly critical of Given post Harewood challenge, but he has been back to his best this season.

Its easy to take for granted just how good he is as well. I was watching a random premiership match the other day and saw one teams 'keeper parry a shot, and I immediately thought "Given would have held that".

I honestly do think he is the best keeper in the world, and have never realised why a club who constantly finish in the top four have not made a concrete bid. (Or have they?)

Trapattoni recently said he thought Given was better than Buffon, says it all! Cant believe how much flack he gets from some fans like, for a club in our position we are very lucky to have such a good goalkeeper.

He's been class for us has Shay, but he's not better than Buffon.

Guest timmy boy

Casillas and Buffon are a class above any one else in the world for me. Given is in the second tier of keepers though, not many other better shot stoppers than him.

I honestly do think he is the best keeper in the world, and have never realised why a club who constantly finish in the top four have not made a concrete bid. (Or have they?)

He's one of the best shot stoppers but you need to be the full package to be considered the best.

Casillas and Buffon are a class above any one else in the world for me. Given is in the second tier of keepers though, not many other better shot stoppers than him.

Agreed.

I think Shay is the best in the Prem, though.

I'd definitely take Cech, Reina, and Friedel above Given. Good shot stopper but definitely not a commanding keeper.

Guest timmy boy

Agreed.

I'd definitely take Cech, Reina, and Friedel above Given. Good shot stopper but definitely not a commanding keeper.

No way is Friedel as good as Given. At shot stopping Given is far more athletic.

The other two are both good keepers but they have always played behind a solid back four. Put them behind our back four and it would be interesting to see how highly they are rated.

If there was a premiership XI he'd be the only Toon player to make the team.

I coulden't name a current better Keeper and i woulden't swap him for any other keeper.

He's certainly better than any other Premiership keeper imo.

I have been fairly critical of Given post Harewood challenge, but he has been back to his best this season.

Its easy to take for granted just how good he is as well. I was watching a random premiership match the other day and saw one teams 'keeper parry a shot, and I immediately thought "Given would have held that".

Bet that was Reina. Don't rate him anywhere near as consistent as Shay.

Agreed.

No way is Friedel as good as Given. At shot stopping Given is far more athletic.

The other two are both good keepers but they have always played behind a solid back four. Put them behind our back four and it would be interesting to see how highly they are rated.

It's not their fault Given is a masochist who for some reason decideds to stay at Newcastle :lol: (thank the lord he does though). Plus how do you think these keepers got the right to play behind such top class back fours. Casillias is the exception, most of them have earned their stripes. Cech was just fantastic for Rennes.

Guest optimistic nit

friedel, green, reina, jussi and hart have all had good spells as premierleague keepers, but none of them have done it as consistently as given has.